Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Billy Hamilton, c'mon down...er, up!

Re: Billy Hamilton, c'mon down...er, up!

I hear stuff like that all the time....."he is still a few years away from being MLB ready" or " he is a few years away from hitting MLB pitchers"....I call BS on that and I hate that thought process.....

I doubt that anyone here thinks Billy will come up here and hit .300.....all we need him to do is play above average defense which we all know he can do, then we need him to use his speed to get on base at a better clip than Drew Stubbs....which I dont think is that hard to do.....lets give Drew the chance he deserves right now, but come June 1 I say do it if Drew is the same ole Drew......if Billy comes up here and looks 100% lost then OK, send him back down for some seasoning, but I am not against a kid learning the game the hard way, these kids are paid a nice chunk for their services, I could care less about his mental makeup and his feelings about failing at this level....most fail, Billy will at least be able to bunt, take a walk, and play defense....which is 2 more things that Stubbs is doing right now.....

Billy H could come up here tomorrow and he would not look lost, he might not look good or as good as he will in 2 years, but he will make due and he will appear to be a MLB player......I agree that normal situations would keep him down there for another year or 2 but we are not in normal situatuons, we are trying to win now.....Billy might just be the spark that we need.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Redleger13

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Well, only 10 of the 13 position players they have now are RH.

What's one more? You could platoon him with Bruce in RF.
    I hope that's a bad joke on purpose.
    Mr. Redlegs - 2012

Has Hamilton even played the outfield in a minor league game yet? You guys are trying to stick him in Center?

Let me say, I'm not a fan of Stubbs. That being said, he's not going to play as badly all season as he's started. He's never going to be a .300 hitter, but he's a 270 20hr guy. I'm for trading him, but you don't trade while the value is low. Let him warm up and then decide where you are at.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Let me say, I'm not a fan of Stubbs. That being said, he's not going to play as badly all season as he's started. He's never going to be a .300 hitter, but he's a 270 20hr guy. I'm for trading him, but you don't trade while the value is low. Let him warm up and then decide where you are at.
    Stubbs was below .270 for his minor league career. He played great in 2010, let's give him that. As we stand today though, we have a dissappointing minor league career, a really good 2010 (still a .255 BA), and crap since. His track record doesn't convince me that he'll automatically bounce back from his bad start.

I do agree with you that he can't stay THIS bad all year. Pretty much nobody can.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I hear stuff like that all the time....."he is still a few years away from being MLB ready" or " he is a few years away from hitting MLB pitchers"....I call BS on that and I hate that thought process.....

I doubt that anyone here thinks Billy will come up here and hit .300.....all we need him to do is play above average defense which we all know he can do
    Hamilton had 39 errors last year.

Quote Originally Posted by jhu1321 View Post
    Hamilton had 39 errors last year.
    Errors or K's.....I guess we need to make a choice? I agree though that billy starting on the reds is a little over reacting, or a lot....me thinks my daughter could swing the bat on the 3rd strike from time to time.

If Billy Hamilton is not in the long term plans for the Reds (and he might not be, he plays SS & 2B two positions that seems locked down for a while) then bring him up now. Having a guy who can steal 2nd & 3rd late in a game as a pinch runner would win you a lot of games.

If he is in the long term plans then move him to the outfield or 3rd base (if he has the arm for either). Let him learn that position and then bring him up

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Stubbs would be more productive if the Reds forced him to bunt in 50% or more of his PA.

Then bunting would "define his game", but in the mean-time, as someone here just noted, he's playing his way out of a career pretty quickly.

Stubbs is the worst hitting CF in the game. A good glove and wheels but that's about it. Honestly I wonder if he'd hit better if he borrowed a pair of Sabo's goggles, as he must be blind. I say trade him for Carlos Lee. A power righty who can hit for average also to hit between Votto and Bruce. He could play left field Heisey in CF. Acquire amother LH bat and call Frazier up for Harris. Start stretching Chapman out to prepare him for the rotation once Masset returns. Oh and maybe go ahead and fire Dusty. My .02 on what the reds need to do.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Turn Off Ads?