Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Welcome to the good old days!

Welcome to the good old days!

I do not know enough about the Reds finances to form an opinion about the dollars involved in the recent wave of extensions... But what I do know is that they have created a golden age to be a Reds fan. Will they win a championship? I hope so... But even without one, we have been given a rare gift in the new age of free agency baseball... We have stability.

Think about it... The worst part of modern baseball is too root for a kid and then see him walk away to another franchise... It caused many of us to hope our kids would do well... But not so well that we could no longer afford them. That sucked.

Now, just think about what we have for at least the next three seasons...
    Five of the eight positions players are carved in stone (C, 1B, 2B, SS, RF), and by no later than next season we will have four fifths of a rotation (Cueto, Latos, Leake, Chapman) locked in not to mention a closer (Marshall). Add in that we have some solid pre-arb players that would make anyone's 25 man roster in Stubbs, Heisey, Lecure and Ondrusek and we have 14 of the 25 man roster that are locked in for the next three years barring horrific injury or trade. Ten of those 14 are legitimate potential all-stars right now.

Now you can go out and get your kid a Reds jersey with just about any players name on the back of it and not be worried that he won't be able to wear it next year since that guy is history.

We have stability and a competitive team for a small market in the age of free agency. I have been waiting for this since Pete donned a Phillies cap.

For that I say Thank You to the Reds management and ownership.

Brisco

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Welcome to the good old days!

yes we have stability with a horrible offense they didn't improve on with Stubbs, Rolen, Ludwick, and getting a guy in Latos who hasn't shown me much since he's been out of Petco

Nice sentiment.But the Reds must win ball games to justify all these salary's.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    yes we have stability with a horrible offense they didn't improve on with Stubbs, Rolen, Ludwick, and getting a guy in Latos who hasn't shown me much since he's been out of Petco
    Actually Latos' pitched as well in road games as he did at Petco, check your numbers. And in the two starts for the Reds it's not like the ball is getting hammered out of the park, he's simply having some command issues. He'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    Latos hasn't shown you much in two starts? Votto's slow start must have been awful for you.

I agree with Latos just having some command issues. He hasn't pitched all that bad. I think too that he may be just giving it a little extra to show his worth. He will calm down and be a key for this rotation. He pretty much has to be

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    I do not know enough about the Reds finances to form an opinion about the dollars involved in the recent wave of extensions... But what I do know is that they have created a golden age to be a Reds fan. Will they win a championship? I hope so... But even without one, we have been given a rare gift in the new age of free agency baseball... We have stability.

Think about it... The worst part of modern baseball is too root for a kid and then see him walk away to another franchise... It caused many of us to hope our kids would do well... But not so well that we could no longer afford them. That sucked.

Now, just think about what we have for at least the next three seasons...
    Five of the eight positions players are carved in stone (C, 1B, 2B, SS, RF), and by no later than next season we will have four fifths of a rotation (Cueto, Latos, Leake, Chapman) locked in not to mention a closer (Marshall). Add in that we have some solid pre-arb players that would make anyone's 25 man roster in Stubbs, Heisey, Lecure and Ondrusek and we have 14 of the 25 man roster that are locked in for the next three years barring horrific injury or trade. Ten of those 14 are legitimate potential all-stars right now.

Now you can go out and get your kid a Reds jersey with just about any players name on the back of it and not be worried that he won't be able to wear it next year since that guy is history.

We have stability and a competitive team for a small market in the age of free agency. I have been waiting for this since Pete donned a Phillies cap.

For that I say Thank You to the Reds management and ownership.

Brisco
    I hope you are right but all I can think of after reading this post is calling my dad in Feb. of 2000 and told him to go ahead and order us World Series tickets because Ken Griffey Jr. is now a Red. The 2nd coming of the BRM never happened, only a decade of misery. I hope all the excitment of signing Votto and DatDude isn't premature and we don't experience another decade of misery.

Also it sucks to realize more and more than 2010 was a complete fluke (mainly Rolen & Gomes).

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I will agree on the stability. Now let's see if we got the chemistry to win.

Turn Off Ads?