Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Thread: 4/13/2012 Reds vs Nats

Re: 4/13/2012 Reds vs Nats

Quote Originally Posted by cbowen2112 View Post
    But don't worry, that offensive outburst/fluke is coming soon. We will score 15 runs in one game, it will pad everyone's stats and Dusty will be safe to pull another starter with only 94 pitches, who seems to get stronger as the game goes along. Only to see the entire bullpen used up for no reason.

Positives: Simon looked a little better. Harris got a hit as did Ludwick. Votto is still awesome.

Negatives: Too many to list here. Shorthand version- CF, 3B and bench.
    Well, just last Sunday Dusty got RIPPED for not having someone ready in the bullpen when Arroyo melted down in the 65-75 pitch range. That's the stuff I was talking about in yesterday's game thread. Doesn't matter what move he makes. I just have to accept that if I'm gonna hang out.

I don't get Chapman in the 10th and not in the 8th. But then I just got home for the last two innings.

The offense is very, very hard to watch when it is slumping. I know they will score runs, but man its brutal to watch a team wide slump. I only got to see 2 innings of hacking, but man, the last guy, who has now struck out what, 6 in a row. Those were all balls, every last curve was not in the zone. They hacked away.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    And when Arroyo hit the wall and blew the lead fans would have been all over Dusty for not pulling him. One thing you can definitively say about Baker is he listens to his players; I strongly suspect Arroyo indicated he was about done.
    I think when your bullpen is announced as being over used by your manager, before the game is even played, you need to allow your starter that only gave up 3 hits over 6 innings and was fooling the other team badly stay and stick out at least the next two outs if possible.

If they were agreeing he was done, that is a different story. But it seemed as soon as they looked at that Tracey match up, seems to be when he pulled the trigger.

Bottom line: we need better offensive firepower.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Well, just last Sunday Dusty got RIPPED for not having someone ready in the bullpen when Arroyo melted down in the 65-75 pitch range.

I don't get Chapman in the 10th and not in the 8th. But then I just got home for the last two innings.

The offense is very, very hard to watch when it is slumping. I know they will score runs, but man its brutal to watch a team wide slump. I only got to see 2 innings of hacking, but man, the last guy, who has now struck out what, 6 in a row. Those were all balls, every last curve was not in the zone. They hacked away.
    Not defending the guys that were up there hacking, but this umpire did not help matters. He was calling balls strikes all night and obvious strikes balls as well. For both sides. There were plenty of times, I was about to walk to my kitchen, because of strike 3, inning over. Nope, ball 2, then 3, then a walk and then we know the rest.

Nah, don't think so. Umps were pretty far down the list for why the Reds lost.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Nah, don't think so. Umps were pretty far down the list for why the Reds lost.
    Agreed. The umpiring was terrible, but it was equally terrible for both teams.

A beautiful upside to the Votto and Phillips contracts--much less tolerance for a bad manager by necessity. This team must make money and must win.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    A beautiful upside to the Votto and Phillips contracts--much less tolerance for a bad manager by necessity. This team must make money and must win.
    You have to think Dusty is starting to feel a little warmth when he sits down in his seat.

honestly.. can't blame dusty for this loss.. Maybe he didn't do things by the Redszone book, but all his pitching changes until Marshall worked out.

I guess if he goes to Marshall earlier, the pen is fresher the next day

Good job by Simon.. I have to acknowledge that.

No need to be discouraged. The team will start hitting. Still early in the season.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    honestly.. can't blame dusty for this loss.. Maybe he didn't do things by the Redszone book, but all his pitching changes until Marshall worked out.
    I agree.

In Thursday's game people complained because they thought Dusty should have brought Marshall in instead of Simon. Well, Marshall took the loss in this one with a not-so-brilliant pitching effort in the 13th, while Simon, the scapegoat in Thursday's game, pitched a solid 2 innings last night.

You have an offense that has started the season struggling. Your top five spots yesterday were a combined 2 fer 26, they were 0 fer 8 with RISP, and stranded 10. Yet somehow it's Baker's fault? What could Dusty, or any manager, in this situation when your offense is struggling do to correct that? Nothing. Yeah it's frustrating to a manager to watch it. But they know these guys are going to start to hit. So you just keep plugging away and don't panic after only 8 games.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-14-2012 at 04:52 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Singlehandedly the loss falls on Dusty. I was at a bar and the entire bar groaned when the soft grounder came back to Arroyo and he threw to Votto for the easy out, in the 8th inning and Dusty came out to replace him. General consensus among average baseball fans that Arrroyo could finish the game or that Dusty should atleast wait until a batter drills one to the wall.....or something legit happens that says Arroyo is done.

I'm not kidding.

The entire city of Cincinnati could do a better job of managing this team than Dusty does. He is terrible and will be the reason this team underachieves.

Worst manager I've seen a long while. I'm going bald watching his stupidity.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

You can second guess when Dusty should have brought what pitcher in when, but really those moves aren't managerial mistakes. Just moves that didn't work out. They may have been the best moves at the time.

My issue is with the totally egregious use of ozart in the 11th. Sending him up in hat situation is fine, but then wasting his at bat with a bunt? Wtf? Guy's been on fire since the start of the year, and a hit scores a run, and you're having him deliberately make an out? Just...wow!

The other thing I noted is that it doesn't seem like the team is taking a strategic approach to the games. It seems like the Reds are playing checkers and the other team is playing chess. That falls on the manager too. Totally uninspired baseball.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    My issue is with the totally egregious use of ozart in the 11th. Sending him up in hat situation is fine, but then wasting his at bat with a bunt? Wtf? Guy's been on fire since the start of the year, and a hit scores a run, and you're having him deliberately make an out? Just...wow
    I wanted to throw something through my TV when that happened. What do you possibly gain by bunting in that situation? The odds of advancing the runner with a ground ball to the right side are pretty good. By bunting you take away the chance that that grounder might sneak through for a run and you concede at least one out. On top of that you only gain a situational advantage for one batter if the bunt works out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Singlehandedly the loss falls on Dusty. I was at a bar and the entire bar groaned when the soft grounder came back to Arroyo and he threw to Votto for the easy out, in the 8th inning and Dusty came out to replace him. General consensus among average baseball fans that Arrroyo could finish the game or that Dusty should atleast wait until a batter drills one to the wall.....or something legit happens that says Arroyo is done.

I'm not kidding.

The entire city of Cincinnati could do a better job of managing this team than Dusty does. He is terrible and will be the reason this team underachieves.

Worst manager I've seen a long while. I'm going bald watching his stupidity.
    Dusty waited Sunday. What was the average baseball fan's reaction when he "waited too long" to take Arroyo out?

I know something worse than Dusty's managing--hindsight aided criticism. The only puzzling thing that came out of last night's managerial decisions is "if Chapman in the 10th, why not in the 8th?" I got home late and why Bray was in there made no sense to me. It looks like the intention was to not use Chapman if possible, but when the game went extras his hand was forced?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    You have to think Dusty is starting to feel a little warmth when he sits down in his seat.
    Well according to Bob C.....he is looking for more money to extend him. One thing I do not like about this owner is the Rasputin like hold Baker seems to have on him.

I was at the game last night. Arroyo had the Nats off balance all night and still had them that way when Dusty took him out. I was shocked when he came out of the dugout. He had only thrown 94 pitches. Just sheer stupidity by Dusty. He deserves every bit of criticism on how he's handles the pitching staff to this point in the season.
    Saying that Reds hitting is just horrird. Arroyo had the hardest hit last night. I saw this morning they are 7 for 58 with RISP. Just horrid! Stubbs is totally messed up.He needs to set for a few days. Also Rolen is looking really old. If he doesn't come out of it by the time the weather warms up I will say he is done. We will know by June. I hope I'm wrong.
    Getting ready to head for the game today in DC. Hoping for better outcome but with Bailey pitching I don't have much hope. Also I still haven't seen Arroyo give up run in two starts in DC when I'm in attendance. He needs to pay me to come to his games.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?