Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do they suck on offense so much?

Why do they suck on offense so much?

Is this Jackson guy pitching for Washington an amazing stud of a SP? I didn't realize he was so elite, because the way the Reds have been hitting today (and for just about the whole season) Jackson must be the next Nolan Ryan.

This joke of a team is hard to watch. And can anyone tell me who the leader of this team is? Certainly not our 250 million man or BP.

I'm really disgusted with the way these guys are playing so this is most likely just an angry rant, but I would have to say those of us who actually thought the Reds were going to be good this year are looking like fools.

And how about that 8th guys? After Heisey gets a lead off walk and it looked like the Reds might ACTUALLY get some runs, they promptly get three K's in a row.

And Stubbs just plain sucks. I'm tired of people making excuses for him. He will lead the majors in K's this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Plate approach

Dustyball

7 innings of 10 or fewer pitches

Embarrassing

takealeake

Re: Why do they suck on offense so much?

Horrible "additions" to the team, throw that on there as well. They focused on pitching and expected trash players to stick. Well, its not.

Quote Originally Posted by takealeake View Post
    Horrible "additions" to the team, throw that on there as well. They focused on pitching and expected trash players to stick. Well, its not.
    well the pitching needed improving. the hitting is discouraging no need to overreact to one week of games.

Really sucks,especially to see a Pujols less St Louis sitting at the top.Do I see the injury bug to the St.Louie vets eventually?Yes.But right now the junk veterans we have are playing like their injured.A lot of their success is attributed to their farm club,and will not hesitate to use a young player.While we keep hot hitting youngsters in AAA while useless vets continue to unimpress.

The team is definitely hard to watch right now. My thought on the offensive struggles is that they are taking too many good pitches and swinging at the pitcher's pitch.

I understand the philosophy of taking pitches and working the count early in the game, but to let a fastball sail right through the heart of the plate and take it for a strike and swing at slider's and splits in the dirt is not getting it done.

Hacking away. Another person on here gave an interesting stat: Reds went down on less than 10 pitches in 6 of 9 innings today. That is unforgivable.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Why, you ask?

Elementary, my dear Red Buckeye.

Jocketty took an offense that had major issues against RHP last year, and proceeded to make matters even worse, either trading or releasing every LH bat but Votto and Bruce (unless you count Willie Harris).

This team, as it stands, has no chance of sniffing the playoffs. Absolutely none.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    Why do they suck on offense so much?
    The offense has been like this for years, they score very little or they score a ton of runs. By season's end their runs per game average will look good but it really isn't

They would score 10 one game then 3, 2, 1 in the next 3. They lose 3 of the 4 games but the average 4 runs a game

the reds cant hit good pitching. yes they will win there fair share but even if they make the playoffs guess what they will face good pitching. they need atleast 1 more decent hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Plate approach

Dustyball

Embarrassing
    That sums it up pretty well. I realize it's a Dustyball tradition to swing early and often, but this year's team is taking it to an entirely different level. I didn't get to see today's game, but looking at Jackson's pitch count, it was obviously more of what we've seen the first nine games now. Opposing pitchers much already realize that we will swing at anything even close to the plate.

Example 1

Heisey leads off one of the more than 10 pitch innings (I think the 7th) by walking on four pitches. Stubbs takes the first pitch a pretty wild ball 1 for a fifth straight ball....next pitch is caught by the catcher right as it's ready to strike dirt....of course Stubbs wailed at it unsuccessfully as did he 2 of the next 3 pitches (all curve balls near the dirt) for a whiff....Mesoraco followed suit quickly and shortly as did Rolen....almost all 84 mph curves near the dirt......he didn't throw 5 strikes the entire inning but got out of it without any problems....Heisey never got more than 12 feet off of first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Really sucks,especially to see a Pujols less St Louis sitting at the top.Do I see the injury bug to the St.Louie vets eventually?Yes.But right now the junk veterans we have are playing like their injured.A lot of their success is attributed to their farm club,and will not hesitate to use a young player.While we keep hot hitting youngsters in AAA while useless vets continue to unimpress.
    That bug hit 3 games ago when Berkman strained his calf...Freese is out with a sore finger. But they're playing the Cubs.

EMAW

Quote Originally Posted by Ironman92 View Post
    Plate approach

Dustyball

Embarrassing
    Maybe 9 games is not a complete sample?
    This board is out of control ridiculous
    How about waiting until the season is at least 25% complete to make knee jerk reactions?
    Nah that would be logical, I think firing the manager and coaching staff after every loss would set a very intense tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    That bug hit 3 games ago when Berkman strained his calf...Freese is out with a sore finger. But they're playing the Cubs.

Rolen and Stubbs are really bringing the team down. Ludwick's not exactly on fire either, but he's a role player. If I were the GM I would just get RID of those 2. It's pretty clear that Rolen's a has been and Stubbs a never will be.
    Last edited by Magdal; 04-15-2012 at 12:00 AM.

Turn Off Ads?