Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "We're going to hit our way out of this slump, not walk out of it" - Dusty Baker

"We're going to hit our way out of this slump, not walk out of it" - Dusty Baker

Chris Welsh shared that quote in the post game today when asked if he thought the Reds would start taking more pitches to avoid having complete games thrown against them under 100 pitches again.

Might be time to bail on this team while Dusty is still here instead of getting too invested.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "We're going to hit our way out of this slump, not walk out of it" - Dusty Baker

Last edited by DocRed; 04-14-2012 at 07:13 PM.

Re: "We're going to hit our way out of this slump, not walk out of it" - Dusty Baker

He's clueless.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    He's clueless.
    Utterly.

And the Baker apologists on this forum, and they are apparently legion, have succumbed to his genius of lowering expectations.

Either there aren't better managerial options out there, or a manager can't throw the ball or swing the bat, or batting order doesn't matter....one excuse after another.

I imagne it's probably time to extend him for 5-6 years.

Opponents hit .375 against Jackson last year on the first or second pitch. you think they read his scouting report?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    Love it!

I will agree with one thing Welsh said after the game. The Reds have so many players who can't make contact that they are scared to death to get to 2-strike counts. So they swing at everything and get themselves out.

Of all teams, NL and AL, only Philadelphia and Pittsburgh have scored less runs.

Philadelphia has played one less game. Pittsburgh two less games.

Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    I will agree with one thing Welsh said after the game. The Reds have so many players who can't make contact that they are scared to death to get to 2-strike counts. So they swing at everything and get themselves out.
    yea only 2 ppl that can battle

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The dice are loaded. Every time I rolled, it would come up Willie Harris and Double Switch. I stopped playing after getting crushed by every member of the local tee-ball team.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeDoux View Post
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! The dice are loaded. Every time I rolled, it would come up Willie Harris and Double Switch. I stopped playing after getting crushed by every member of the local tee-ball team.
    That's pretty funny.

Dear god did i find that hilarious I was laughing so hard had tears streaming The girlfriend didnt understand it .

I just hope he's right.

"We're going to hit our way out of this slump, not walk out of it" - Dusty Baker
    Another Baseball HOF quote from our esteemed manager. Hell, at this point, I really don't care how they get on. Just get on and someone touch the plate. Lowest 9-game run total since 1901. That is saying something.
    Cubbie pitchers better watch out. The team has to hit sometime. Right?
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

I don't like the strategy behind that quote. It defeats the purpose of leading off with Harris if he's going to swing freely rather than utilize his decent on-base skills. It could exacerbate the shortcomings of Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey. It could interfere with the development of Mesoraco and Cozart at the plate. It allows starters to pitch deep into games and keep a fresh bullpen. It's easily manipulated by opposing scouts and managers. All in all, it's not a particularly encouraging sign.

Turn Off Ads?