Thread: Scott Rolen

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Re: Scott Rolen

4-6 and the sky is falling.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Yep....the way the hitting has been that's not really a bad record. And when the hitting comes things will start to get interesting....looks like the Stro's are insinuating themselves into the mix...and the Pirates not doing too bad.

The Cubs acually appear to be WORSE than ever. Is that possible?

Do you consider being below .500 successful? If so then the sky is fine. But for me, when we are losing, YES the sky is falling. Cincinnati Reds baseball is life brother.

What does that have to do with this thread?

1) The sky is not falling.

2) Scott Rolen needs to retire.

Those aren't mutually exclusive, I happen to believe both.

Rolen is a future HOF'er and I am proud to see him wearing the Cincinnati uniform. Now with that said you guys are correct he is not a number 4 hitter. In fact I can't remember him hitting in the 4 spot much when he was with the Birds or Phils. Personally I think Ludwick, Bruce, or Phillips would be a better fit. Naturally I would like to see us pick up a big RH bat to hit in the 4 hole and another LH bat to come off the bench. Rolen is not done but a number 7 hitter at best.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by S.Wells View Post
    Rolen is a future HOF'er and I am proud to see him wearing the Cincinnati uniform. Now with that said you guys are correct he is not a number 4 hitter. In fact I can't remember him hitting in the 4 spot much when he was with the Birds or Phils. Personally I think Ludwick, Bruce, or Phillips would be a better fit. Naturally I would like to see us pick up a big RH bat to hit in the 4 hole and another LH bat to come off the bench. Rolen is not done but a number 7 hitter at best.

This.

The biggest advantage to having Rolen would be having him groom Frazier when he comes up here.

Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    What does that have to do with this thread?

1) The sky is not falling.

2) Scott Rolen needs to retire.

Those aren't mutually exclusive, I happen to believe both.
    4-6 and let's get rid of Rolen. That is what it has to do with this thread. Got another question for me?

First off, he's not making $8.1M this year, that was 2011.

Second, is he really the one to blame about batting cleanup? He's not the one penciling his name on the lineup card, Dusty is.

Third, how soon we forget his 2010, all-star/gold glove season. We are probably out of the playoffs if E5 was still in Reds uniform.

And the most idiotic of all the comments - that he should retire. Craig Consell played until he was 41. He has a lifetime batting average of .255 and hit more than 4 HR in a season ONCE.

Rolen is no doubt in the twilight of his career and losing his ability to be an everyday player, but if he's comfortable coming off a bench, he can play for another 5 years if he wants to keep playing.

Rolen needs to have some respect for himself and walk away. He just can't play this game anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by S.Wells View Post

I agree with most of this as well. If we can chalk up 2011 to injury, Rolen still had a fair 2010 season and a fair 2012 Spring. Also his BABIP is absurdly low right now. I don't think Rolen profiles as a cleanup hitter, but I haven't given him up for dead quite yet. And, if BP is out, I would rather Rolen leadoff than William Harris.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Do you consider being below .500 successful? If so then the sky is fine. But for me, when we are losing, YES the sky is falling. Cincinnati Reds baseball is life brother.
    I know it is brother. But 4-6 aint 62-100. Things can turn around in a hurry.

Redleger13

Ludwick bats clean up, Bruce, Heisey (in center), then Rolen.
    Rolen is as detremental behind Bruce as he is behind Votto
    Mr. Redlegs - 2012

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

I know it is brother. But 4-6 aint 62-100. Things can turn around in a hurry.
    Things can turn around in a hurry.

But there are some things which are such obvious liabilities that a turn for the better is very unlikely to occur if denial is the MO and appropriate changes are not made.

The 2012 version of Scott Rolen is in no way, shape or form a cleanup hitter.

Not even against LHP.

But as I worried in the off-season, Baker will probably bat him there until Rolen loses an arm or leg.

And I'd still like to know why he was playing on the grass against Espinosa.

4-6 and let's get rid of Rolen. That is what it has to do with this thread. Got another question for me?
    The Reds' record has nothing to do with my thoughts on Scott Rolen. Scott Rolen's performance (through the last season and a half, not just 10 games) is what leads to my thoughts on Scott Rolen.

You seem to have a little difficulty understanding the difference, but I sure don't.

Turn Off Ads?