Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 30

Thread: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

  1. #1
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,955

    Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43




    GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Former NBA and University of Florida basketball player Dwayne Schintzius died Sunday afternoon from respiratory failure. He was 43.


    The 7-foot-2 Schintzius, who starred at Brandon (Fla.) High School east of Tampa, had been battling complications from a bone marrow transplant he received as treatment for chronic myelomonocytic leukemia, the Tampa Tribune reported.


    Schintzius played at Florida from 1987-90 and helped lead the Gators to their first three NCAA tournament appearances in school history (the first two were later vacated by the NCAA). Schintzius is sixth on the school's all-time scoring list with 1,624 points and still holds the school record for blocked shots (272). He was named an All-American by The Associated Press, UPI and the Sporting News in 1989 after averaging 18.0 points and 9.7 rebounds per game.


    Schintzius is still the only player in Southeastern Conference history with more than 1,000 points, 800 rebounds, 250 assists and 250 blocked shots.


    But Schintzius was almost as well known for his mullet haircut -- which he called The Lobster -- and the unceremonious end to his collegiate career. He quit the team 11 games into the 1989-90 season after a falling out with interim head coach Don DeVoe.


    Bill Koss, a Sun Sports and Fox Sports Florida basketball analyst and former UF player from 1963-65, said he'll remember Schintzius as the first great big man to play at Florida.


    "He was maybe as skillful as any big man that's ever played at Florida," Koss said. "Soft hands. Could really pass the basketball. Great instincts.


    "He really was a guy that had a large, large impact on University of Florida basketball."


    Schintzius returned to the O'Connell Center for a game on Feb. 24, 2011 for the first time since he left the team. He was treated to a rousing ovation when he was introduced in the first half.


    "That meant a lot," Schintzius told the school's website after the Gators beat rival Georgia 71-62. "No matter what happened, I've always been proud to be a Gator."


    Schintzius was a first-round draft pick by San Antonio in 1990 (24th overall selection). He played for six teams in his injury-filled eight-year NBA career, which ended in 1989 with the Boston Celtics.


    Schintzius underwent surgery on his back, knee (twice) and ankle and never played in more than 43 games in a single season. His best season was his rookie season, when he averaged. 3.8 points and 2.9 rebounds per game.


    Schintzius was diagnosed with chronic myelomonocytic leukemia more than two years ago and underwent chemotherapy and also had a bone marrow transplant. He was declared cancer-free but suffered a relapse and was forced to undergo another bone marrow transplant
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,893

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    I was attending UF as an undergrad throughout the entire Schintzius era. Most articles have pretty accurately depicted his impact on the Gator basketball program--which was profound.

    When Schintzius arrived, UF had not even won their first SEC Championship. You could argue that he was a recruit that started to make Florida basketball relevant.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  4. #3
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,077

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    He was the bad boy of the SEC at the time but he was a really good player.
    Maybe someone remembers this. One time when Florida played Vandy, the Vandy student section pelted the floor with tennis balls at the end of a game. A technical was called and cost Vandy the game. Does anyone remember this? Do you remember what the Tennis incident was with him? I've been trying to remember but can't for the life of me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  5. #4
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,419

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    He was the bad boy of the SEC at the time but he was a really good player.
    Maybe someone remembers this. One time when Florida played Vandy, the Vandy student section pelted the floor with tennis balls at the end of a game. A technical was called and cost Vandy the game. Does anyone remember this? Do you remember what the Tennis incident was with him? I've been trying to remember but can't for the life of me.
    It was Vandy. He had been charged with assault for hitting his girlfriend with a tennis racket.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  6. #5
    The Lineups stink. KronoRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West N. Carolina
    Posts
    55,614

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    It was Vandy. He had been charged with assault for hitting his girlfriend with a tennis racket.
    It wasn't his girlfriend, it was a male student outside a bar, he got suspended for it.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...70/2/index.htm

    This is sad news, he had definitely changed according to those who knew him.
    Go Gators!

  7. #6
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Just a shame. I enjoyed him. God bless.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  8. #7
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,419

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    It wasn't his girlfriend, it was a male student outside a bar, he got suspended for it.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...70/2/index.htm

    This is sad news, he had definitely changed according to those who knew him.
    My bad. I have been told that story a million times. You'd think I'd have it right by now.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  9. #8
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,893

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    One thing that I remember about the Vandy fiasco was that it happened in an absolutely huge game for the Gators. After Schintzius knocked down the technicals, it essentially locked up the SEC title for Florida.

    When Florida next visited FSU in Tallahassee I traveled from Gainesville to see the game. When Schintzius was introduced before the game, the Seminole fans rained--not hundreds--but literally thousands of tennis balls onto the court.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  10. #9
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    A true tragedy. Dwayne really settled down as he aged and was truly a good person. As a UF alum and a huge Gator Basketball fan, I am forever indebted to him for what he did for our program. He was a special talent. RIP.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  11. #10
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    I'll never forget the improbable run to the sweet 16 by the '87 Gator team with Schintzius, Vernon Maxwell, Moten and the Lawrence twins, falling in a close game to NCAA runner-up Syracuse.

    I also recall a period of time during Schintzius's rookie year with the Spurs, in which he replaced an injured Terry Cummings in the starting lineup and excelled with David Robinson playing PF.

    Sad news, indeed.
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pérignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  12. #11
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,077

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    It was Vandy. He had been charged with assault for hitting his girlfriend with a tennis racket.
    Thanks to you and Krono. I couldn't remember what happened for the life of me. Just too long ago. I really hated hearing about his death. Sounds like he had truly became a good person.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'll never forget the improbable run to the sweet 16 by the '87 Gator team with Schintzius, Vernon Maxwell, Moten and the Lawrence twins, falling in a close game to NCAA runner-up Syracuse.
    Ah, Mad Max. One of my favorite shooters of all time.

    He, Dale Ellis from UT, and Chuck Person from Auburn were absolutely money from downtown. So much fun to watch.

    The SEC in those days was truly awesome. Players flying up and down the floor, phenomenal athletes-- too bad the style of play has gotten so... grounded.

    I miss the possibility of triple digit games. I miss Dominique's windmill slams and The Round Mound of Rebound. I miss Dinner Bell Mel from the elbow and Wimp Sanderson's plaid jacket. I miss Sean Thuhoy scoring from... well, everywhere, and Rickey Blanton flopping and windmilling his arms while running down the court. Jeff Malone from the corner? It's only an echo now. Vandy's Kentucky connection with Barry Goheen from half-court to beat Louisville? Awesome.

    Sigh.

    I miss good basketball.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  14. #13
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,893

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Ah, Mad Max. One of my favorite shooters of all time.

    He, Dale Ellis from UT, and Chuck Person from Auburn were absolutely money from downtown. So much fun to watch.

    The SEC in those days was truly awesome. Players flying up and down the floor, phenomenal athletes-- too bad the style of play has gotten so... grounded.

    I miss the possibility of triple digit games. I miss Dominique's windmill slams and The Round Mound of Rebound. I miss Dinner Bell Mel from the elbow and Wimp Sanderson's plaid jacket. I miss Sean Thuhoy scoring from... well, everywhere, and Rickey Blanton flopping and windmilling his arms while running down the court. Jeff Malone from the corner? It's only an echo now. Vandy's Kentucky connection with Barry Goheen from half-court to beat Louisville? Awesome.

    Sigh.

    I miss good basketball.
    I share your nostalgia, Scrap.

    Around that same vintage, Florida had a starting PF named Dwayne Davis. One of the most athletically gifted players EVER to wear a Gator uniform.

    Not a pure shooter by any stretch, but the guy created his own shots and could absolutely jump out of the gym.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  15. #14
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,852

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    I share your nostalgia, Scrap.

    Around that same vintage, Florida had a starting PF named Dwayne Davis. One of the most athletically gifted players EVER to wear a Gator uniform.

    Not a pure shooter by any stretch, but the guy created his own shots and could absolutely jump out of the gym.
    3D was amazing. Never understood why he never even got so much as a look at the next level.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  16. #15
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: Dwayne Schintzius dead at age 43

    Dang, you guys are really making me feel old!!!!!!!!!! I miss those days as well.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25