Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds stats through 10 games

Reds stats through 10 games

Reds start 4-6, 3 games back in Central, 3-3 home, 1-3 road, -9 run differential. Reds tied for third place. Madson on DL out for season, Masset on DL, Phillips hurt missed several games.

Offense - Reds with .589 OPS, 15th in NL, League average is .688. Reds with .319 SLG, 14th in NL, OBP is .270, 15th in league, BA is .205, 14th in league. Reds with 6 homers, 11-12th in NL, 29 BB is 10th most in NL, 76 strikeouts is 7-8th most in NL. Reds wOBA and wRC+ are both fifteenth in NL.

Individually, Reds have two hitters above a .720 OPS. Cozart (.969) and Votto (.915). Bruce is at .720, Ludwick at .660. All other position players are below .600 OPS. Rolen OPS is .353, Stubbs is .377. Votto getting little protection in lineup, has 10 walks, second in NL.

Pitching - On a brighter note, Reds with team 3.69 ERA, 8th in the NL, just about league average (3.62). Starter ERA is 4.25, 11th-12th in NL; bullpen ERA is 2.78, 7th best in NL. Reds with 76 Ks, 5th-6th in NL. Largely a result of Chapman, bullpen leads NL in Ks with 43. Team has allowed 36 walks, tied for 4th most in the NL.

Reds FIP is 3.94, 11th best in NL. xFIP is 3.91 tied for 10th-11th.

Starters have only one win, that's Cueto, who has 2.25 ERA in two outings. Arroyo with 2.63 ERA. Other starters all higher than 5 ERAs.

Which leads us to Chapman. In relief is 2-0, 8 innings pitched, 3 hits allowed, 15 Ks, 0 BBs, .38 WHIP, 0.00 ERA.

Fielding - MLB.com numbers. Reds lead the league in traditional fielding percentage with .993. Only three errors. 11 DPs trails only the Braves. DER is .709, tied for 8th-9th. UZR is .5, 8th best in NL.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-16-2012 at 11:22 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds stats through 10 games

Worth noting the Reds are 15th in BABIP at .242. Cardinals are first at .346.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Worth noting the Reds are 15th in BABIP at .242. Cardinals are first at .346.
    Is your suggestion that the difference between the Reds and Cards' offense this year is luck?

If so, I would take very serious issue with that.

Among other things, the Cards have 15 homers to the Reds' 6. The Cards have a .504 slugging percentage to the Reds .319.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Is your suggestion that the difference between the Reds and Cards' offense this year is luck?

Among other things, the Cards have 15 homers to the Reds' 6. The Cards have a .504 slugging percentage to the Reds .319.
    I would say that the numbers reflect one team starting the season in an offensive surge, while the other one started the season with an offensive slump. Any conclusions about the quality of either offense at this stage would be premature.

BABIP keeps on getting referred to as luck, I think randomness is a better description.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Whoa there. Not suggesting anything, just pointing out the two numbers as examples of numbers that I don't think represent the true talent level of the two teams. Reds number will climb, Cards number will fall.

I would absolutely not say that is the only difference between the Cards and Reds this year, but it certainly is playing a part.

Not to split hairs, but slugging and BABIP are related, so while the home run differential is very stark, the difference in slugging could largely be attributed to the ~100 points of BABIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished

Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The base you want to acquire is home.

I wouldn't say luck, I d say that one team is on an offensive hot streak, and one a cold streak. For me, it's not luck when someone or a team has a high BABIP, it just means they are in a grove, and history tells us that at some point they will stop being in a grove and come back to the norm. I think the word luck is often misused when randomness is what is really being talked about.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

Well, last years Reds team had a .297 BABIP, while the Cards team BABIP was .305. What do you think is going to happen?
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Last year this early in the season, it looked like the Cards had the worst offense in the league. LaRussa even went off in his presser about how he knew his guys were going to hit, and to be honest, I laughed at him. And I'll be damned, they end up leading the league in runs scored. So I think it's wayyy too early in the season to draw any conclusions about either team up to this point.

With that aside, KC I really, really love this thread, it's one of the highlights of this board IMO, keep up the great work

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Last year this early in the season, it looked like the Cards had the worst offense in the league. LaRussa even went off in his presser about how he knew his guys were going to hit, and to be honest, I laughed at him. And I'll be damned, they end up leading the league in runs scored. So I think it's wayyy too early in the season to draw any conclusions about either team up to this point.

With that aside, KC I really, really love this thread, it's one of the highlights of this board IMO, keep up the great work
    Seconded
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Thank you guys, it's my pleasure to do these threads and to be on RedsZone.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post

Agreed. I logged in this morning ready for the first one of these threads. Much appreciated KC.

The offensive stats should normalize. The Cards play in a stadium where homeruns are hard to come by so the Cards won't keep up the insane homerun pace they are on. The Reds have the potential to be a good offensive team so the early woes won't continue. That said, the Cards did have the best offense in the NL last year and many of the core players are back (excluding Albert of course). The Cards will have a potent lineup again this year.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

“I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

Mike Shannon

The Cards also have a pretty unsustainable HR/FB rate, though. It's above 17% right now; by comparison, the best mark for any team last year was 14.3%.

Couldn't we have skipped this installment and just linked to a youtube video of frolicking puppies instead?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?