Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Youkilis, Reds 3B in 2013?

Wallflower

Youkilis, Reds 3B in 2013?

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...ing-commitment

With Bobby V questioning Youkilis' commitment to the team (even benching him in favor of Nick Punto), it certainly doesn't seem like they're going to exercise their $13M option to keep him around next year.

We know this could be Rolen's last year. We know Youkilis is from the area and has said he'd love to play for the Reds. Can he still pick it at 3B? Would he be an upgrade over rapidly-aging Scott Rolen?

Personally, I'd love to have him and I'd love to see it, but there are legitimate questions about his regression with age.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Youkilis, Reds 3B in 2013?

He still gets on base, and is a patient hitter. Something that this roster is lacking. GABP is a factor too, but I don't think his defense is even close to where Rolen is.
    Let's get weird!

Wallflower

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    He still gets on base, and is a patient hitter. Something that this roster is lacking. GABP is a factor too, but I don't think his defense is even close to where Rolen is.
    Totally agree with you about the defensive concerns. Watching Youkilis, it's hard not to imagine him needing a move to 1B or DH in the next stage of his career. I'd love to have his offense, but I don't know that he fits in the National League.

He could bat cleanup.

I want to wait and see how both players perform this year.

Rolen's quoted as being so hurt in the past, it would be painful for him reach out at a drive-thru to grab the food. Now that he's healthy, if he can put up the numbers he did as a Red in 2010 - he's a good bargain. He'll make $6.5M this year - exactly half of what Youkalis makes.

That said, Youkalis is 4 years younger, isn't a health concern, and could be an everyday player. I'd be willing to sacrifice a little fielding for an everyday cleanup hitter at this point considering how anemic the run production has been against Washington and St. Louis.

My measuring stick on bringing Rolen back is 100 games started, and OPS of .800+, if not, I'd see if Youk would sign a hometown discounted 3 year, 33M deal.

Redleger13

It depends on the price tag. I would certainly prefer him over Rolen right now but I wouldn't pay him anything north of 7 million a year for 5 years. I would rather start Corky Miller at third than pay The Kev his current contracts dues.
    Beyond that, what are we going to sign him with? Even though we let go of Rolen and Arroyo's current over sized contracts we need money to pay for Votto the year after that...
    Mr. Redlegs - 2012

I wonder if there is any way to satisfy both of their needs to play and have them both on the Reds THIS year? Boston is dying for a CF'er with speed if you catch my drift.....I am sure Boston would pick up a major chunk of salary as well. Of course I am not sure there is enough at bats for the both of them to share but my ole my how both of them together would help their aging legs and bodies.....next year Kevin can have 3rd all to himself.

Valentine is an idiot. Bad broadcaster, even worse manager. He later said he was trying to apologize to Youkilis.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie52 View Post
    Valentine is an idiot. Bad broadcaster, even worse manager. He later said he was trying to apologize to Youkilis.
    Bobby Valentine has a little, no, make that a lot, of Ozzie Guillen in him. Some people were born without a filter. Valentine belongs in the club.

Turn Off Ads?