Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Frazier called up; Cairo to DL official

Frazier called up; Cairo to DL official

Per Reds official twitter.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Frazier called up; Cairo to DL official

Hope this kid could be the offensive spark we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    Hope this kid could be the offensive spark we need.
    My guess is he won't get enough AB's to be an offensive spark, given Dusty's love of veterans. I hope he gets more of a chance than that. Nice to have at least a bat off the bench who can clear the bases.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    My guess is he won't get enough AB's to be an offensive spark, given Dusty's love of veterans. I hope he gets more of a chance than that. Nice to have at least a bat off the bench who can clear the bases.
    Dusty had no problem playing Frazier last year, or Cozart when he came up.

We know Rolen can't play that many games in a season and JF is gone, obviously Frazier is gonna get a lot of time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Dusty had no problem playing Frazier last year, or Cozart when he came up.

We know Rolen can't play that many games in a season and JF is gone, obviously Frazier is gonna get a lot of time this year.
    Out of necessity. Not out of any love for playing youngsters by Dusty. I just want to make that point clear. When Dusty's hands are tied he will stick a youngster out there rather than play one person short.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Out of necessity. Not out of any love for playing youngsters by Dusty. I just want to make that point clear. When Dusty's hands are tied he will stick a youngster out there rather than play one person short.
    Totally disagree.

When Cozart was called up everyone here thought it was to backup Renteria, that turned out to be false. Cozart got the majority of the starts but was quickly injured. Mike Leake was about as youngster as you can get and made the rotation right out of college. Dusty has stuck with him when there were other veteran options available.

Chapman, Bailey, Stubbs, Bruce, Frazier, Heisey, and Mesoraco can all be considered youngsters...well I think Stubbs might be getting older now, but they've all got considerable playing time in the past couple of years.

This idea that he prefers veterans is one that I've never understood. Obviously there's going to be some old guys, there will be some young ones too. My problem is when a player who lacks talent is playing, their age doesn't even matter imo.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    What does it matter the circumstances he plays? Do you know the inner workings of Krusty's mind, if not you have no point, just a guess, however educated it may be. As long as the kid plays and gets consistant AB's, that's all I care about.

Totally disagree.
    You can totally disagree all you want but here are some quotes from when Cozart was recalled.

From John Fay's blog on 07/07/2011. This is Dusty speaking. Doesn't sound to me like he was coming here to be a backup.

ON PLAYING TIME: “Cozart will get most of the time. You just don’t shelve (Edgar) Renteria when he’s starting to get his act together. I play everybody on my team.”
    Another Baker quote from that same blog date. Once again doesn't sound as if Cozart is coming here to backup anyone.

IS COZART READY? “We don’t know if he’s ready or not. We tried to keep him in there as long as we could to get ready. You don’t really know if a guy’s ready until you get him here and over an extended period of time. He’s been playing well. We had a feeling it was going to happen, we just couldn’t comment on it.”
    And here is a post from this forum back then about the callup. They should ring familiar. The post is yours.

I think the best move would be to send Janish down. What kinda sucks for Cozart is how much the fans have been begging for him to be called up, and how bad the season has gone lately. Some might have unreasonable expectations like he is the AAA player that will come up and save the season. I just hope he gives us a spark.
    I am not posting that whole thread but the gist of it was this, "It is about time they got Cozart up here". And they didn't care who the Reds got rid of - Janish or Renteria. The posters, by and large, wanted Cozart up here to play. Not sit.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Come on Reds

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    What does it matter the circumstances he plays? Do you know the inner workings of Krusty's mind, if not you have no point, just a guess, however educated it may be. As long as the kid plays and gets consistant AB's, that's all I care about.
    Of course it was my opinion. Just like 90% or more of the posts on this message board are opinions. If noone posted anything that they weren't 100% certain of you could visit this board about once a month and not miss anything.
    The fact of the matter is that another poster and I are having a discussion on one of Dusty Baker's preferences in a player. He stated his opinion. I stated my opinion. And then you came along and posted something that was totally irrelevant and added nothing to the discussion.

This is the year

Unfortunate we lost cairo instead of w.harris or W. Valdez.

My comment on the Sun Deck thinking that Renteria would be our opening day starter, and then our starter after Janish went down comes from memory of posting in threads on that topic. Not that they necessarily wanted that to happen, just that Dusty would be starting Renteria because he loves vets. Both times he went against that thinking.

I still don't get how his hands were tied or he had no other option. Cozart was an unproven AAAer that got the starting job over a World Series MVP veteran...if Dusty had this kinda love for vets, I would think he would have made Renteria the starter.

Of the vets that we've played in recent years, most give us pretty good efforts. Of the young guys we play, a lot have been inconsistent at best. I think that's to be expected, but I don't see any trends of Dusty refusing the play young players or anything.

I still don't get how his hands were tied or he had no other option. Cozart was an unproven AAAer that got the starting job over a World Series MVP veteran...if Dusty had this kinda love for vets, I would think he would have made Renteria the starter.
    This is how I see it. The Reds were struggling. Reds' fans were clamoring for Cozart. Reds' shortstops were playing miserably. In an effort to shake things up and appease the fan base, Cozart was brought up and Dusty was told to play him. I honestly believe that. I think Dusty would have preferred to go with Renteria.
    I understand that people feel that the GMs provide the players and the manager decides who gets the playing time. I would generally agree. I don't think that is written in stone. (See Krivsky being told to sign Corey Patterson) This was also an exception to the rule.

I could be completely wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

LMAO there texasdave......I am on your side on this one. To anyone that is a nonbeliever, ask Cubs fans. Neifi Perez!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?