Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Should the Reds move Billy Hamilton to CF in 2012?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

23 39.66%
  • No

13 22.41%
  • Other/Maybe eventually but not now

22 37.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton to CF?

Billy Hamilton to CF?

With Cozart and Phillips seemingly entrenched in the Reds middle infield for the next 6 years, and DiDi Gregorius one level above Hamilton for depth, is now the right time to move Billy Hamilton to CF, where he could play GG defense and lead-off for a Dusty-managed team?
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Billy Hamilton to CF?

I'm curious to hear from others what other CF prospects we currently have - it would appear with Rodriguez, Duran & Lutz among others in Bakersfield's outfield and LeMarre in center at Pensacola. I'm assuming some "shaking out" needs to occur before such a move would occur. Of course, I'm not tremendously versed with our minor league system.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I like the offensive surge we are getting from Hamilton right now. I feel there may be more of an opening in center than at SS in the next 1-3 years, but I have always heard that learning a new defensive position at least has a chance of deterring from offensive production. With that tidbit in mind, I think I would keep Hamilton at SS. It's not like he is playing an easy defensive position right now. He has tremendous value as a good-hitting, good potential defending SS. That being said, CF takes different defensive skills than SS. I think I would keep Billy at short during games to not distract from his offensive performance, but I would have him work in the outfield in some off-time. I voted for other because of this.

I'd move him now. He loses very little trade value as a true difference maker CF or SS. The only real prospect he may interfere with would be Rodriguez, who also plays RF. The competition in CF might light a fire under Rodriguez or could keep Yorman in Bakersfield for another year, thereby perhaps lighting a fire under him because he was "disrespected".

If Hamilton continues to hit (and handle the bat) as well as he has, moving up to AA and taking the place of LaMarre isn't all that big a deal either.

There aren't really any CF prospects to speak of in the minor league system.

I don't think Billy will ever have the chops to play SS at the major league level. If he doesn't have that 'it' quality by now that all great SSs have, I doubt he'll ever find it. Personally I'd prefer we have a great defensive shortstop, and plug our liabilities elsewhere in the field. Sure there are players like Votto who turned around their defensive game through hardwork, but I think SS is different. This opinion is probably old fashioned in today's game but I guess I just think SS is too cerebral...A good SS always has that special innate ability to lead the defense.

With that being said, and this may seem a little backwards, maybe it's best for his defensive development to continue playing SS? It's the most demanding defensive position and it will only help develop his overall defensive skills. I also like that the SS is the defensive captain, and operating in that role can only help him grow as a ballplayer.

But at the same time my practical side says that if he's never going to be a big league SS, might as well get him working somewhere else. Plus, we have plenty of other prospects to think about, he's just towards the top of the list. Who knows. Just keep hitting I guess.

I'd start out now having him take ball sin the OF and make the conversion over the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I'm curious to hear from others what other CF prospects we currently have - it would appear with Rodriguez, Duran & Lutz among others in Bakersfield's outfield and LeMarre in center at Pensacola. I'm assuming some "shaking out" needs to occur before such a move would occur. Of course, I'm not tremendously versed with our minor league system.
    In my opinion, the only real centerfielder currently in the system worth watching is Ryan LaMarre. Lutz, Duran and probably Yorman and Waldrop will all eventually move to the corners- in the big leagues if not earlier. LaMarre is the only prospect worth watching at this point that will definitely stick in CF (and provide above average defense), but LaMarre needs to start showing some sock if he is going to be a starter in the majors.

Hamilton could likely be a gold glover there if he moves.
    Go BLUE!!!

I wouldn't move Hamilton yet. Middle infielders who can provide offense are very valuable.

I envision BH at second base eventually with Phillips moving to third.

If Hamilton is having a lot of trouble in the inflield a year from now, then maybe.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Not yet. I think an elite ranged shortstop is more valuable than an elite ranged centerfielder. In center he has to deal with LaMarre and, at least for the next few years, Yorman Rodriguez. At shortstop he has to deal with Cozart and Gregorius. One spot isn't really more 'open' than the other.

Too early, see how Cozart performs for an entire year.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Too early, see how Cozart performs for an entire year.
    I agree. I think once Cozart completes his first trip go around in the league, pitchers will figure him out and we may see his ceiling as a reserve middle infielder. It would not surprise me to see Gregorius fit a similar mold.

LaMarre is someone I am keeping an eye on. He could develop into someone who could make Stubbs very expendable.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

No rush. CF is the easiest position on the field to learn. If you have the athletic ability, its really just about judging a fly ball. If he can do that, he can learn quickly. If he can't, he'll never be any good.

I'd let him build value at SS for this year at least.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Just wait Eric Davis moved from shortstop to center so wait .

In center he has to deal with LaMarre and, at least for the next few years, Yorman Rodriguez. At shortstop he has to deal with Cozart and Gregorius. One spot isn't really more 'open' than the other.
    Team's all set at SS.

Senor Votto

Stubbs in LF, Hamilton in CF, and Bruce in RF?

Turn Off Ads?