Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's our best lineup?

What's our best lineup?

The problem with the offense is too hard to ignore. How would you shake things up? Here's what I'd try:

Phillips 2B
    Cozart SS
    Votto 1B
    Bruce RF
    Ludwick LF
    Hannigan C
    Rolen 3B
    Stubbs CF
    P

Only the third or fourth time through the order does it matter to have lefties back to back. Despite the slump, Bruce has the RBI potential that Rolen just doesn't have, and the jury is still out on Ludwick. I go with Bruce at clean-up and take my chances.

Hanigan's ability to keep the inning alive and be a productive out is under utilized. He's a dangerous hitter with runners on base because he puts the ball in play and hits to all fields - just not enough power to be higher in the lineup.

Stubbs at 8. I like that he's in scoring position after a sac bunt with the pitcher spot due behind him. Phillips will have a better RBI chance with Stubbs on 2nd as opposed to Hanigan.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's our best lineup?

With the guys Dusty pencils in:

BP
    Cozart
    Votto
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Rolen
    Catcher of the day
    Stubbs
    P

I wouldn't be against giving Heisey the CF and leadoff spot and going:

Heisey
    Cozart
    Votto
    BP
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Rolen
    Mes
    P

Cozart
    Phillips
    Votto
    Frazier
    Hanigan
    Bruce
    Heisey
    Call up a decent hitting center fielder from AAA
    Pitcher

Anyones got to be better than stubbs and rolen...bruce has never impressed me, except for a few weeks here and there in the season.

cozart
    bruce
    votto
    phillips
    hanigan
    ludwick
    rolen
    stubbs

Even though I am not a fan of Dusty Baker (and believe me, I scratch my head every game at some of his moves), you can't blame him for the players he has to work with. Be realistic...I consider Votto, Phillips, Cozart, and Bruce as the only full time players on our roster. Ludwick, Rolen, Valdez, Harris, Hanigan, Mesoraco, Stubbs, Cairo (now Frazier), and Heisey are just part time or platoon players. Rolen and Ludwick are past their prime; Stubbs could be a full time player, but his strikeout rate is unacceptable for a starter, Hanigan was almost 30 when brought to the bigs and has never been much of a hitter, Mes is a rookie that needs experience, Heisey and Frazier are basically unproven and Harris, Cairo, Valdez have never been and never will be starters. Cozart has started well, but you never know when the pitchers will figure out his weak spots. Bruce is so streaky...unfortunately he has longer bad streaks than good streaks. This roster of players is going to be very inconsistent and have trouble scoring runs. Here is my lineup:

Phillips
    Cozart
    Votto
    Bruce
    Ludwick
    Rolen
    Stubbs
    Hanigan/Mesoraco
    Pitcher

This is what I would do with the players we have, but several obvious holes.
    We just need some better players.
    Last edited by 50YrRedsFan; 04-18-2012 at 03:07 AM. Reason: forgot to add something

We don't have a best. Wanna reword that question into something a little more meaningful like "What is not our worst" lineup?

It will never happen bc Dusty and the majority of baseball is locked into a "your best hitter should hit 3rd mindset" but moving Votto to 2nd in the order is better (no this doesnt mean he needs to start bunting or other nonsense). It lets us split up the lefties, get the most protection for Votto possible while getting him more ABs, and with Heisy/Stubbs hitting 9th gives Votto a better chance of hitting with men on base than if we hit the pitcher 9th. I think the tradeoff for a few extra PA's from the pitcher slot is trumped by letting the top of the order hit with men on base more.

SS Cozart
    1b Votto
    2b Phillips
    RF Bruce
    LF Ludwick
    3b Rolen
    C Mesorasco/Hannigan
    Pitcher
    CF Stubbs/Heisy
    Last edited by ervinsm84; 04-18-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    It will never happen bc Dusty and the majority of baseball is locked into a "your best hitter should hit 3rd mindset" but moving Votto to 2nd in the order is better (no this doesnt mean he needs to start bunting or other nonsense). It lets us split up the lefties, get the most protection for Votto possible while getting him more ABs, and with Heisy/Stubbs hitting 9th gives Votto a better chance of hitting with men on base than if we hit the pitcher 9th. I think the tradeoff for a few extra PA's from the pitcher slot is trumped by letting the top of the order hit with men on base more.

SS Cozart
    1b Votto
    2b Phillips
    RF Bruce
    LF Ludwick
    3b Rolen
    C Mesorasco/Hannigan
    Pitcher
    CF Stubbs/Heisy
    Hmmmm...votto 2nd...kinda makes sense. I get that. Its worth a try.

How does Votto hit second when he doesn't even play shortstop?

There's Votto and Cozart, and then there's a bunch of interchangeable outs. I agree that we don't have a 'best'. If you look up and down our lineup you'd think we were starting 7 pitchers each night.

This is downright embarrassing. In the Reds' last 8 games they have scored the following: 1,1,4,2,1,1,8 and1 runs respectively. I knew this offense was struggling but not to that extent. The 8-run game came courtesy of four unearned runs in the first and 3 in extra innings. Amazing. That is a big-time slump.

I'd give this a try.....

Cozart SS
    Stubbs CF
    Votto 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Ludwick LF
    Hanigan/Mesoraco C
    Pitcher

Couple points:

-When Heisey start you simply put him in the 2-hole if he's in CF, 7-hole when in left.

-Stubbs in the 2-hole is not ideal but its the best option, IMO, when you consider that Phillips is the best option in the 4-hole and the idea of Hanigan or Bruce in the 2-hole is simply laughable.

-As for the 4-hole, it's clear to me that Phillips is the best option there at least until Rolen gets out of his ealry season funk. The idea that Bruce should go there, to me, is beyond idiotic. Bruce is 1 for his last 20 and continues to show that he is, at best, a streaky offensive player. For all those crushing Rolen in the 4 take a look and realize that not only is Bruce not a better option, he shouldn't even be a candidate.

1 Phillips
    2 Cozart
    3Leake
    4Votto
    5 Arroyo
    6 Cueto
    7Catcher
    8 Latos
    9 Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by Who Dey Time View Post
    I'd give this a try.....

Cozart SS
    Stubbs CF
    Votto 1B
    Phillips 2B
    Bruce RF
    Rolen 3B
    Ludwick LF
    Hanigan/Mesoraco C
    Pitcher
    -
    This is roughly tonights lineup per Sheldon's blog http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/2012/...ineup-shakeup/

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    How does Votto hit second when he doesn't even play shortstop?
    And how does the pitcher hit 8th when he's not the catcher?

Turn Off Ads?