Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Clark dead at 82

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dick Clark dead at 82

He really never fully recovered from that Stroke. Until that stroke, he always looked very young for his age and very energetic. After the stroke, he was a shell of his former self.

RIP, he was a pioneer in broadcasting.

I didn't realize he was that old. I thought he was still in his 60's.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

A legend in broadcasting. Few covered as much ground as Clark. RIP to the Worlds Oldest Teenager
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

For a Level Playing Field

Really liked him. Sad to hear this news. RIP.

La Dolce Vita

makes me sad. i started watching american bandstand back in the late 50's when i was about 10..

r.i.p. mr. clark..
    teach tolerance.

Here's an episode of American Bandstand after Dick Clark showed the two films for Strawberry Fields Forever & Penny Lane. Between the clips and after Penny Lane, he got the kids' reactions to the films & to their new look (the moustaches). Pretty funny. The Penny Lane clip ends around the 4 minute mark.

The Beatles - Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane (reaction) - YouTube
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

My home town radio never played songs by black people. We all learned about James Brown, the Supremes, Chuck Berry ("They'll be rocking on Bandstand, Philadelphia, P-A.") Little Richard ect, through Bandstand.

I can still remember the first time I ever heard of Otis Redding, when he came on Bandstand to sing "Sad Song-Fa Fa Fa Fa Fa". Wow, how long has this been going on?

I'll give it a 95, Dick. I liked the beat.

Man certainly had a good beat, and you could dance to it.

He was a voice in music for generations and his influence will be missed.

Also, can we get rid of Ryan Seacrest in tribute?

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Two great Dick Clark interviews:

American Bandstand 1976 John Travolta Interview - YouTube

"It's a novel now, it's being made into a book."

http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/pri...o-2917695.html

Starting around 3:51, Mr. Clark just powers through it.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 04-19-2012 at 12:47 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

To quote Tony Orlando: "Only God is responsible for making more stars than Dick Clark".

I was surprise to hear about Dick Clark's other business ventures.

RIP Dick Clark.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

With American Bandstand, The Million Dollar Pyramid, Bloopers and Practical Jokes, and New Year's Eve, he was one of American's television icons.

RIP.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Here's an episode of American Bandstand after Dick Clark showed the two films for Strawberry Fields Forever & Penny Lane. Between the clips and after Penny Lane, he got the kids' reactions to the films & to their new look (the moustaches). Pretty funny. The Penny Lane clip ends around the 4 minute mark.
    I actually remember watching that when it was originally broadcast. It was funny then listening to the negative reaction from the girls who still wanted to see four mop tops singing She Loves You ya ya ya. LOL

Back then I always wondered why the Beatles never personally appeared on ABS. And I think it had a lot to do with Clark himself. In the group's early goings Clark pretty much panned them. In 1963, Swan Records, whom DC was a founding member, won the distribution rights to release She Loves You on 45 in the U.S. (my sister still has it). But it was done over the objections of Clark who called those executives insane and said the Beatles would never fly. He did play SLY on a segment of ABS called Rate-A-Record, and said it scored poorly. But some said it scored poorly because that's what Clark wanted it to do. When Beatlemania hit the next year he called their music "kid stuff" and that the Beatles were already "tapering off".

I never could understand what Clark's "thing" was against the Beatles. Was it just ego, and not wanting to admit he may have missed the boat on this one? Was he concerned the British Invasion was going to be the death of the American East Coast music which was so popular then and made him a star? Just interesting stuff.
    Last edited by GAC; 04-21-2012 at 05:00 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I actually remember watching that when it was originally broadcast. It was funny then listening to the negative reaction from the girls who still wanted to see four mop tops singing She Loves You ya ya ya. LOL

Not that there's anything wrong with She Loves You ya ya ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    With American Bandstand, The Million Dollar Pyramid, Bloopers and Practical Jokes, and New Year's Eve, he was one of American's television icons.

RIP.
    I remember him doing all of those shows. He was a big part of my TV viewing in my younger days and I hardly know a New Years Eve that he wasn't a part. R.I.P. Dick Clark. Thanks for all of the entertainment.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?