Turn Off Ads?

Thread: If the whole team is slumping at the plate, whose fault is it?

If the whole team is slumping at the plate, whose fault is it?

1. Hitting Coach
    2. Manager

Yes one could argue that it is up to each individual to pull himself out of the slump. But when it is the entire team, minus Votto? That reeks of procedure/coaching.

Now how do the Reds correct this glaring issue?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If the whole team is slumping at the plate, whose fault is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    1. Hitting Coach
    2. Manager

Yes one could argue that it is up to each individual to pull himself out of the slump. But when it is the entire team, minus Votto? That reeks of procedure/coaching.

Now how do the Reds correct this glaring issue?
    I'm of a mind that it's all on the players. I think the Manager has a negligible influence on most games, and that all other coaches are fairly useless unless the Manager gets tossed. In which case they remain useless.

Hitting Coach, Period!

WE haven't had a good hitting coach since Griffey. Why not give Barry Larkin a chance? Lifetime .319 hitter, he knows his $h!t.

Also I say go ahead and fire Dusty just for a change.

New Reds manager? Hire in house, none other than Joe Morgan.
    Last edited by will5979; 04-19-2012 at 09:56 AM.

The execution is on the players. Coaches prepare and try to put people in situations to succeed imo. That sad truth is you could put any lineup out there right now and with the way they're swinging the bats you're gonna get the same results.

I really have no idea how hands on Dusty is behind the scenes with our approach at the plate. I don't know if it's all on Jacoby or if Dusty is in their ear telling them to hack at everything. At the very least he holds his share of the blame just by being the manager and having it going on under his watch. But yeah, I wouldn't mind it if Jacoby were fired to send a message....you're not going to fire your head coach this early and you can't bench 10 guys.

Dusty is here all year unless things continue down this path and he wants to go home. It would have to be mutual, IMO.

Bob needs people to show up to games. After this road trip, I don't think Great American is going to be packed...if attendance is low, Bob may start firing people just to give the fans hope that things will soon turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Bob needs people to show up to games. After this road trip, I don't think Great American is going to be packed...if attendance is low, Bob may start firing people just to give the fans hope that things will soon turn around.
    So your encouraging people not to go to the games. I for one want to know that the money I take and spend at the game is going toward putting a winning team on the field. Now i know they aren't winning right now but if they will is yet to be determined. That being said i feel like Bob has. He locked up Votto and Phillips, he signed Madson, and traded for Marshall and Latos. I dont think anyone predicted that the offense would be this bad.

On some players I blame the hitting coach and the approach they are wanting the player to take at the plate (Stubbs for an example) while others are due to age (Rolen) and others due to injury (Phillips).

**** happens.

Quote Originally Posted by will5979 View Post
    Hitting Coach, Period!

WE haven't had a good hitting coach since Griffey. Why not give Barry Larkin a chance? Lifetime .319 hitter, he knows his $h!t.

Also I say go ahead and fire Dusty just for a change.

New Reds manager? Hire in house, none other than Joe Morgan.
    Lifetime .319 hitter? Wrong. .295.
    I'm not saying a hitting coach never helps, but I think it's pretty minimal. "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear."

Face it, this team has very few good consistent hitters, of course they are not this bad. But this is a weak hitting team period.

For some of the players, it's not a "slump", it's who they are at this point of their careers, and that's the fault of Dusty for wanting them on the team so badly.

Redleger13

The bats are in the players hands.
    Don't get me wrong, coaches have a huge role but these are big leaguers, a lot of it has to be figured out on one's own.
    Mr. Redlegs - 2012

Turn Off Ads?