Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Institutional control

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Institutional control

    http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebask...ransfer-041912

    Expected to contribute...is that the problem? Color me skeptical that Bo Ryan would stand by these same principals for the guy who gets no playing time.

  2. #2
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Institutional control

    Bo Ryan's taking a lot of heat here but I don't see why. He's been granted the power to limit a kid from transfering and he's using it. Change the rule if you want

  3. #3
    Joe Oliver love-child Blimpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    4,900

    Re: Institutional control

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Bo Ryan's taking a lot of heat here but I don't see why. He's been granted the power to limit a kid from transfering and he's using it. Change the rule if you want
    Ditto.

    Every single school has done this at one time or another in either football or basketball. Check the record for your favorite school before you go casting stones. The NCAA is the one who is allowing schools and Conferences to do this for the revenue-generating sports (yet there are no such restrictions for sports like baseball, track, etc...)

    Folks, right now, it is pretty much the sports media doldrums until the NBA Playoffs get cooking. The media is looking for a story to fill time. The only reason that this has filled the void is because of how poorly Ryan, and the Wisconsin S.I.D. have handled the media over the last 7 days.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

  4. #4
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Institutional control

    Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Ditto.

    Every single school has done this at one time or another in either football or basketball. Check the record for your favorite school before you go casting stones. The NCAA is the one who is allowing schools and Conferences to do this for the revenue-generating sports (yet there are no such restrictions for sports like baseball, track, etc...)

    Folks, right now, it is pretty much the sports media doldrums until the NBA Playoffs get cooking. The media is looking for a story to fill time. The only reason that this has filled the void is because of how poorly Ryan, and the Wisconsin S.I.D. have handled the media over the last 7 days.
    I didn't realize this rule didn't apply to all sports. Nice contribution...

    ESPN loves to cheer for the underdog thus their slanted coverage of this issue. I can recall the ESPN legal experts saying yrs ago that it was illegal for the NFL to restrict who's eligible to play in their league. All we needed was a player to challenge it. Well that happened and we now know what that legal advice was worth. At this time last yr we were debating the lockout and whether it was legal. After Judge Roberts declared it illegal for 24 hrs, legal experts like Lester Munson opined that it would not be overturned on appeal and the three judge panel did exactly that.

    Has anyone heard a talking head on ESPN support coach Ryan and Wisconsin on this?

  5. #5
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    758

    Re: Institutional control

    I have not heard one talking head at the world wide sports leader support Wisconsin or Ryan.

    As I said earlier, there is more to this than what the media is saying, Wisconsin is saying, and even the player is saying.

    As an IU fan that grew up following the Hoosiers and Knight, players seemed to always transfer out of the program and Knight didnt seem to care one bit and let them go. However, there was one instance involving Lawerence Funderburke that made me scratch my head when it happened. It was the 89-90 season. Funderburke was a freshmen and was starting and being quite productive, right before semester break he quit the team and wanted to transfer. Indiana would not let him go to Missouri. I didnt understand it at all, why block him from going to the Tigers? Rumor had it that Funderburke was good buddies with Travis Ford, who was a freshmen at Mizzou. Speculation was that Norm Stewart, coach at the time, had Ford whispering in Funderburke's ear and that Bobby caught wind of it......thus IU wouldnt let him go to Mizzou. Funderburke ended up at Ohio State and Ford transferred to UK and that even brought on more rumors!!!!!!!! Another story.

    My point is that some of these issues we will never know. In this case as one poster said understanding about Marquette but not Iowa St. On the surface it makes no sense, but IU to Missouri made no sense to me at the time either.

    I think it is a dumb rule.....but I would imagine the people at Wisconsin have their reasons for doing such. And that is their rite.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  6. #6
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: Institutional control

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I have not heard one talking head at the world wide sports leader support Wisconsin or Ryan.

    As I said earlier, there is more to this than what the media is saying, Wisconsin is saying, and even the player is saying.

    As an IU fan that grew up following the Hoosiers and Knight, players seemed to always transfer out of the program and Knight didnt seem to care one bit and let them go. However, there was one instance involving Lawerence Funderburke that made me scratch my head when it happened. It was the 89-90 season. Funderburke was a freshmen and was starting and being quite productive, right before semester break he quit the team and wanted to transfer. Indiana would not let him go to Missouri. I didnt understand it at all, why block him from going to the Tigers? Rumor had it that Funderburke was good buddies with Travis Ford, who was a freshmen at Mizzou. Speculation was that Norm Stewart, coach at the time, had Ford whispering in Funderburke's ear and that Bobby caught wind of it......thus IU wouldnt let him go to Mizzou. Funderburke ended up at Ohio State and Ford transferred to UK and that even brought on more rumors!!!!!!!! Another story.

    My point is that some of these issues we will never know. In this case as one poster said understanding about Marquette but not Iowa St. On the surface it makes no sense, but IU to Missouri made no sense to me at the time either.

    I think it is a dumb rule.....but I would imagine the people at Wisconsin have their reasons for doing such. And that is their rite.
    You make some good points, but its not like he blocked 1 or 2 non conf school and the Big10, which would be pretty reasonable. He blocked an entire other conference on the off chance that they "may" play each other in the ACC/Big 10 challenge. With that logic of "may play", he may as well block every single BCS school bc they "may play" in the ncaa tournament.
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Institutional control

    what rule? is that a higher learnededed thing?

  8. #8
    Yay! dabvu2498's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,463

    Re: Institutional control

    Funny that Ryan used the term "particular institution." I had a professor in college that used that term to describe slavery.

    I understand Ryan blocking him from going to another Big 10 school but the rest just seems vindictive. And it will hurt him in recruiting down the road.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  9. #9
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: Institutional control

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Funny that Ryan used the term "particular institution." I had a professor in college that used that term to describe slavery.

    I understand Ryan blocking him from going to another Big 10 school but the rest just seems vindictive. And it will hurt him in recruiting down the road.
    This is nothing new.

    Miami did the same thing with Robert Marve a few years back. They banned him from transferring to any school in Florida (where he was from), and any school in the ACC and SEC.

    Marquette is obvious because the two schools play each other during the season. Not so sure about Iowa State though. I'd guess and say he will likely end up at Creighton, since I've read he wants to move back to Iowa and that's the only school that he can get into (unless the NCAA appeal works).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #10
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,866

    Re: Institutional control

    I file this one under "just because you can doesn't mean you should." It's bad enough that athletes have to sit out a year if they transfer, although I understand why that rule exists. But truthfully, if a player wants to transfer and is willing to observe the NCAA requirements with respect to sitting out, I don't think it's any of his current coach's business to say where he can or can't go.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,059

    Re: Institutional control

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I file this one under "just because you can doesn't mean you should." It's bad enough that athletes have to sit out a year if they transfer, although I understand why that rule exists. But truthfully, if a player wants to transfer and is willing to observe the NCAA requirements with respect to sitting out, I don't think it's any of his current coach's business to say where he can or can't go.
    agreed. Although, it's kind of fitting for a program know for it's desire to "control possessions"

  12. #12
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Institutional control

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    But truthfully, if a player wants to transfer and is willing to observe the NCAA requirements with respect to sitting out, I don't think it's any of his current coach's business to say where he can or can't go.
    I can't say as I disagree with you but that's not how the rule is written. If I read next month that the NCAA changed the rule and after one yr the kid is allowed to go anywhere I'd say fine. I don't love the rule but I don't blame the coach either

  13. #13
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,866

    Re: Institutional control

    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't love the rule but I don't blame the coach either
    Just because the system allows a guy to do wrong doesn't mean we can't hammer him for not doing right.

    I will say that if a coach has good reason to believe another school has been tampering with his player and encouraging them to transfer -- even if there's no smoking gun that can be turned over to the NCAA -- I can grant ethical grounds for blocking a transfer to that school. But a shotgun prohibition like this just looks petty. And no, it's nothing new. But information flows more freely these days, and a lot of things that happen in college athletics don't look so good when the lights are turned up.
    For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible

  14. #14
    Member ervinsm84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Chester
    Posts
    448

    Re: Institutional control

    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Just because the system allows a guy to do wrong doesn't mean we can't hammer him for not doing right.

    I will say that if a coach has good reason to believe another school has been tampering with his player and encouraging them to transfer -- even if there's no smoking gun that can be turned over to the NCAA -- I can grant ethical grounds for blocking a transfer to that school. But a shotgun prohibition like this just looks petty. And no, it's nothing new. But information flows more freely these days, and a lot of things that happen in college athletics don't look so good when the lights are turned up.
    Winner

    Couldn't agree more.
    Newsflash!

    Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

    NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

  15. #15
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    758

    Re: Institutional control

    Didnt this just happen with Martelli at St. Joe's involving a kid wanting to tranfer to the SEC? I imagine there is more here than meets the eye. But if there aint then shame on Wisconsin and Bo.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25