Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Institutional control

Institutional control

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegebask...ransfer-041912

Expected to contribute...is that the problem? Color me skeptical that Bo Ryan would stand by these same principals for the guy who gets no playing time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Institutional control

Bo Ryan's taking a lot of heat here but I don't see why. He's been granted the power to limit a kid from transfering and he's using it. Change the rule if you want

what rule? is that a higher learnededed thing?

Funny that Ryan used the term "particular institution." I had a professor in college that used that term to describe slavery.

I understand Ryan blocking him from going to another Big 10 school but the rest just seems vindictive. And it will hurt him in recruiting down the road.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I file this one under "just because you can doesn't mean you should." It's bad enough that athletes have to sit out a year if they transfer, although I understand why that rule exists. But truthfully, if a player wants to transfer and is willing to observe the NCAA requirements with respect to sitting out, I don't think it's any of his current coach's business to say where he can or can't go.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I file this one under "just because you can doesn't mean you should." It's bad enough that athletes have to sit out a year if they transfer, although I understand why that rule exists. But truthfully, if a player wants to transfer and is willing to observe the NCAA requirements with respect to sitting out, I don't think it's any of his current coach's business to say where he can or can't go.
    agreed. Although, it's kind of fitting for a program know for it's desire to "control possessions"

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Funny that Ryan used the term "particular institution." I had a professor in college that used that term to describe slavery.

I understand Ryan blocking him from going to another Big 10 school but the rest just seems vindictive. And it will hurt him in recruiting down the road.
    This is nothing new.

Miami did the same thing with Robert Marve a few years back. They banned him from transferring to any school in Florida (where he was from), and any school in the ACC and SEC.

Marquette is obvious because the two schools play each other during the season. Not so sure about Iowa State though. I'd guess and say he will likely end up at Creighton, since I've read he wants to move back to Iowa and that's the only school that he can get into (unless the NCAA appeal works).
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yuck all around. Perhaps he's trying to deflect the attention away from his seeming misuse of Greg Stiemsma. He never averaged more than 15 minutes a game at Wisconsin (a team always "teeming" with NBA prospects) and is now one of the top energy guys in the NBA...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

But truthfully, if a player wants to transfer and is willing to observe the NCAA requirements with respect to sitting out, I don't think it's any of his current coach's business to say where he can or can't go.
    I can't say as I disagree with you but that's not how the rule is written. If I read next month that the NCAA changed the rule and after one yr the kid is allowed to go anywhere I'd say fine. I don't love the rule but I don't blame the coach either

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't love the rule but I don't blame the coach either
    Just because the system allows a guy to do wrong doesn't mean we can't hammer him for not doing right.

I will say that if a coach has good reason to believe another school has been tampering with his player and encouraging them to transfer -- even if there's no smoking gun that can be turned over to the NCAA -- I can grant ethical grounds for blocking a transfer to that school. But a shotgun prohibition like this just looks petty. And no, it's nothing new. But information flows more freely these days, and a lot of things that happen in college athletics don't look so good when the lights are turned up.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Just because the system allows a guy to do wrong doesn't mean we can't hammer him for not doing right.

I will say that if a coach has good reason to believe another school has been tampering with his player and encouraging them to transfer -- even if there's no smoking gun that can be turned over to the NCAA -- I can grant ethical grounds for blocking a transfer to that school. But a shotgun prohibition like this just looks petty. And no, it's nothing new. But information flows more freely these days, and a lot of things that happen in college athletics don't look so good when the lights are turned up.
    Winner

Couldn't agree more.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

Didnt this just happen with Martelli at St. Joe's involving a kid wanting to tranfer to the SEC? I imagine there is more here than meets the eye. But if there aint then shame on Wisconsin and Bo.

The Wisc coach is paid to look after his own program. He doesn't want to improve an opponent's chances of beating his Badgers. If this player were to go to another team and assist that team in hanging a loss on Wisconsin, then I'd say the Wicsonsin coach screwed up

Quote Originally Posted by ervinsm84 View Post
    Winner

Couldn't agree more.
    You can hammer him all you want. It's a free country. That's not the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Bo Ryan's taking a lot of heat here but I don't see why. He's been granted the power to limit a kid from transfering and he's using it. Change the rule if you want
    Ditto.

Every single school has done this at one time or another in either football or basketball. Check the record for your favorite school before you go casting stones. The NCAA is the one who is allowing schools and Conferences to do this for the revenue-generating sports (yet there are no such restrictions for sports like baseball, track, etc...)

Folks, right now, it is pretty much the sports media doldrums until the NBA Playoffs get cooking. The media is looking for a story to fill time. The only reason that this has filled the void is because of how poorly Ryan, and the Wisconsin S.I.D. have handled the media over the last 7 days.

Turn Off Ads?