Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Thursday April 19, 2012 Minor League updates (Dayton video online)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Thursday April 19, 2012 Minor League updates (Dayton video online)

Dayton loses in 13, 5-4.

2. Turn Off Ads?

4-3 Jax over Pensacola now in top 9; Joseph on for BlueWahoos.

After three, Lutz is 2-2, Josh Smith is looking good, SB (Slidin' Billy) has been CS, and Bakersfield leads 4-2. David Vidal is not in the lineup after being hit on the hand last night.

It'd be OK if one of the farms would see fit to win tonight.

. . . Whoopsie. Strike the phrase about Smith. San Jose scored three in the fifth to take the lead.

Sulbaran struck out 11 and walked just one in six innings.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Benzinger says that Ron Oester was the straw that stirred the 1990 WS Championship drink.
    LOL. So much so that Mariano Duncan was the starting second baseman and the Reds went out and acquired Billy Doran in September for more 2B depth heading into the playoffs.

Saying Oester was the straw that stirred the drink would be akin to saying Benzinger should have been World Series MVP for catching the pop-up that secured the title.

Yorman Rodriguez is 0-3 with 2 Ks. He made a fielding error in the fifth and came right back and made another fielding error in the sixth. Rough start for Yorman.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    LOL. So much so that Mariano Duncan was the starting second baseman and the Reds went out and acquired Billy Doran in September for more 2B depth heading into the playoffs.

Saying Oester was the straw that stirred the drink would be akin to saying Benzinger should have been World Series MVP for catching the pop-up that secured the title.
    Benzinger was on that team. He might have a little insight. Not sure why he would say it if he didn't believe it.

Benzinger was on that team. He might have a little insight. Not sure why he would say it if he didn't believe it.
    Maybe because they're buddies? C'mon man! Yeah, Ronnie Oester was the "straw that stirred the 1990 Reds." Todd Benzinger will be here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.

Didi Gregorius was hit with a fastball on his right forearm last night and looked like he was in pain throwing the ball in between innings.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Maybe because they're buddies? C'mon man! Yeah, Ronnie Oester was the "straw that stirred the 1990 Reds." Todd Benzinger will be here all week. Don't forget to tip your server.
    Blitz Dorsey knows the 1990 Reds better than Todd Benzinger. That's what is unbelievable here. You believe what you think you might know. And I will go with what someone in the clubhouse that year said.

I can't remember exactly, but I remember the book on the 90 reds writen a few years ago gave Oester a lot of credit for his club house leadership on that squad. Todd's statement didn't really surprise me all that much.

Blitz Dorsey knows the 1990 Reds better than Todd Benzinger. That's what is unbelievable here. You believe what you think you might know. And I will go with what someone in the clubhouse that year said.
    Right, because what players say about their buddies/teammates are always accurate.

Did you watch the Reds that season? In no way was Ron Oester the "straw that stirred the drink." Like I said, they even went out and got a better BACKUP second baseman (Bill Doran) for the stretch run. So, if you want to believe the third-string second-baseman was the catalyst of the 1990 World Series champs, go right ahead. I chalk that up to Benzinger saying something really nice (but not entirely accurate) about one of his old buddies. Teammates say things that are untrue about other teammates all the time.

Right, because what players say about their buddies/teammates are always accurate.

Did you watch the Reds that season? In no way was Ron Oester the "straw that stirred the drink."
    Apparently, Benzinger was talking about things that you don't see on television or from the second deck or in the stat lines. Maybe Oester said something that lit a fire under his teammates and started them on a winning streak; maybe he broke up a couple double plays that kept big innings alive in key games; maybe he counseled and straightened out a struggling teammate; maybe the other guys took a cue from the way he kept himself in shape; maybe he got tough with some guys who were screwing up or staying out too late; maybe he turned off the loud music and made everybody focus; maybe he stole the other team's signs; maybe he accepted his diminished role in a way that made everything fall into place; maybe he shared some helpful tips on opposing pitchers; maybe he played so hard that other guys were embarrassed not to. Stuff only a teammate would know. Stuff that makes teammates--and the team--better. I'd believe that before I'd believe that Benzinger simply made something up.

Did you watch the Reds that season? In no way was Ron Oester the "straw that stirred the drink." Like I said, they even went out and got a better BACKUP second baseman (Bill Doran) for the stretch run. So, if you want to believe the third-string second-baseman was the catalyst of the 1990 World Series champs, go right ahead. I chalk that up to Benzinger saying something really nice (but not entirely accurate) about one of his old buddies. Teammates say things that are untrue about other teammates all the time.
    I'm more concerned with the fact you seem angry about a Todd Benzinger quote...
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?