Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 4-20-2012 Reds vs Cubs

Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 4-20-2012 Reds vs Cubs

Looks like a cold weekend in Chicago. I wonder if Phillips will play any?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I know about the danger of an injury that would take Phillips out for a long time, but the black hole that exists with Willie Harris at second is huge. Tough decision.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I'm completely fine with giving BP time off with the hammy but a bench with Valdez and Harris is just loaded with suck.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Valdez or Harris isn't worthy of a spot in the show. But better than putting a young talent there and not seeing any action I suppose....

Looks like Dempster might get scratched from the Sunday start against the Reds.

Scott Miller ‏ @ScottMCBS

Bad stuff 'bout #Cubs RT @davandyck: Ryan Dempster in doubt for Sunday start. MRI on right quad. Randy Wells here in case

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Valdez or Harris isn't worthy of a spot in the show. But better than putting a young talent there and not seeing any action I suppose....
    I don't agree with this. To be sure, Harris' spot could and should eventually go to a better hitter. But he has been a major league player for eleven years and he's a lot better than RedsZone says. Slightly past his peak perhaps, he was best as a Nat in 2008-09, but he's a reasonable bench player.

Harris is off badly, he will pick it up, the Reds do need a stronger lefty bench bat, but Harris is not the garbage player some indicate.

As for Valdez, he is a better hitter than Janish and can play the infield acceptably in a backup role. Which young talent do you want in his position, Valaika? Chris V has 20 Ks and 2 BBs at AAA, a .313 OBP, and isn't the versatile fielder that Valdez is.

I want a good lefty bat on the Reds bench, I recognize they don't now have one, but these two guys are reasonable bench players for their positions.

Let's just make believe they came up in the Reds organization and give them the endless patience that such players receive around here from some . . . .

Meanwhile, Francisco is hitting the ball well for the Bravos, with some defensive issues.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-20-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't agree with this. To be sure, Harris' spot could and should eventually go to a better hitter. But he has been a major league player for eleven years and he's a lot better than RedsZone says. Slightly past his peak perhaps, he was best as a Nat in 2008-09, but he's a reasonable bench player.

Harris is off badly, he will pick it up, the Reds do need a stronger lefty bench bat, but Harris is not the garbage player some indicate.

As for Valdez, he is a better hitter than Janish and can play the infield acceptably in a backup role. Which young talent do you want in his position, Valaika? Chris V has 20 Ks and 2 BBs at AAA, a .313 OBP, and isn't the versatile fielder that Valdez is.

I want a good lefty bat on the Reds bench, I recognize they don't now have one, but these two guys are reasonable bench players for their positions.

Let's just make believe they came up in the Reds organization and give them the endless patience that such players receive around here . . . .

Meanwhile, Francisco is hitting the ball well for the Bravos, with some defensive issues.
    True. That's why they are called "bench" players. Besides, I seem to remember the same "garbage player" label put on Miguel Cairo a couple years ago.

It would be nice to have Phillips sit out a couple days and replace him in the lineup with Ian Kinsler or Dustin Pedroia, but small market teams who sign 1B to 13-year contracts @ $200+ million, are stuck with the Cairo's, Valdez's, and Harris's for bench strength.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

These two guys are washed up. Maybe that's what a bench is for, washed up guys who get overmatched every plate appearance? He is a career .238 batter. Not a solid bat of a bench by any stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    True. That's why they are called "bench" players. Besides, I seem to remember the same "garbage player" label put on Miguel Cairo a couple years ago.

It would be nice to have Phillips sit out a couple days and replace him in the lineup with Ian Kinsler or Dustin Pedroia, but small market teams who sign 1B to 13-year contracts @ $200+ million, are stuck with the Cairo's, Valdez's, and Harris's for bench strength.
    Cairo isn't garbage. A career .270 batter with pop. Not even close to a Willie Harris or Valdez.

Sorry if I irked you on my opinion. I shouldn't expect to see a black hole step up to the plate when Dusty goes to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Cairo isn't garbage. A career .270 batter with pop. Not even close to a Willie Harris or Valdez.

Sorry if I irked you on my opinion. I shouldn't expect to see a black hole step up to the plate when Dusty goes to the bench.
    No problem, you didn't ruffle my feathers in the least.

I was just pointing out that two years ago, the prevailing opinion around here was that every time Cairo stepped to the plate to replace Rolen, Votto, or Phillips, that he was regarded as a "black hole." Cairo proved he was not a garbage player.

As to Harris and Valdez, the jury is still out. Once Cairo comes back off the DL, I have a feeling Harris's number of plate appearances will diminish anyway. To fill in a game or two, Cairo, Harris, and Valdez are fine. But if one of the IF's go on the DL, I think I'd start thinking about Negron or Gregorius. I know Janish and Valaika are at AAA, but I don't think they are ANY upgrade from Harris or Valdez
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Can Frazier play 2nd decently at all? If so he should be there.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    No problem, you didn't ruffle my feathers in the least.

I was just pointing out that two years ago, the prevailing opinion around here was that every time Cairo stepped to the plate to replace Rolen, Votto, or Phillips, that he was regarded as a "black hole." Cairo proved he was not a garbage player.

As to Harris and Valdez, the jury is still out. Once Cairo comes back off the DL, I have a feeling Harris's number of plate appearances will diminish anyway. To fill in a game or two, Cairo, Harris, and Valdez are fine. But if one of the IF's go on the DL, I think I'd start thinking about Negron or Gregorius. I know Janish and Valaika are at AAA, but I don't think they are ANY upgrade from Harris or Valdez
    Valdez is going no place, the Reds acquired him to be a slightly better Janish and I expect him to be around all season.

Harris is the lefty bat since Francisco was traded. I think he'll improve in that role, but the Reds could use a stronger lefty hitter for the bench. I don't think the defensive position is critical for that role, either an outfielder or infielder who bats left handed should do.

As for Frazier, he will back up at third while Cairo is out and then likely go back to AAA. He isn't a middle infielder, won't replace Valdez, doesn't provide the lefty bench bat. He does play outfield, so he could fill in there if an injury.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-20-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Harris has been an out machine. So has everyone else on the team. I guess he'll either come back to his standard performance level with a hot streak or they'll try someone else.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Looks like a cold weekend in Chicago. I wonder if Phillips will play any?
    Yes Baker said it was the cooler conditions that is why he is sitting Phillips because it is harder to get loose in these conditions. The high is going to be in the 40s all weekend in Chicago so he may sit the whole series.

Turn Off Ads?