Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 313

Thread: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,914

    Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2613288.html

    The Scoop: No one has ever questioned Hamiltonís ability to run and steal bases, but the young shortstop has heard plenty of questions about how much heís going to hit. Last year he struggled to get his average over the Mendoza line early in the year, and it took a strong finish for Hamilton to bat .278/.340/.360. But at the end of the season, Midwest League observers explained that Hamiltonís off-the-charts athleticism meant that he could make dramatic improvement that the average player could only dream of.
    Hamilton hit over .500 last week. More at the link.

  2. #2
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,694

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    I still think he can be Jose Reyes.

  3. #3
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,914

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I still think he can be Jose Reyes.
    Never going to have anywhere near the kind of power Reyes has.

  4. #4
    Member Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,694

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Never going to have anywhere near the kind of power Reyes has.
    I know that's the prevailing opinion, but Hamilton's a super athlete and I still think he'll put on some muscle. I feel like he's got a chance.

  5. #5
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,914

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I know that's the prevailing opinion, but Hamilton's a super athlete and I still think he'll put on some muscle. I feel like he's got a chance.
    Hamilton has super athlete speed. I am not sure anything else he does on the baseball field puts him in super athlete status. Josh Hamilton is a super athlete. Drew Stubbs is a super athlete. Billy Hamilton is super fast. Big difference.

  6. #6
    Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    4,716

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hamilton has super athlete speed. I am not sure anything else he does on the baseball field puts him in super athlete status. Josh Hamilton is a super athlete. Drew Stubbs is a super athlete. Billy Hamilton is super fast. Big difference.
    No, Usain Bolt is both "super fast" and a "super athlete." Nice try though.

  7. #7
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I still think he can be Jose Reyes.
    How 'bout Bip Roberts?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,253

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Hamilton has super athlete speed. I am not sure anything else he does on the baseball field puts him in super athlete status. Josh Hamilton is a super athlete. Drew Stubbs is a super athlete. Billy Hamilton is super fast. Big difference.
    Strongly disagree. Hamilton had a football scholarship to be a receiver at Mississippi State. He was a tremendous HS basketball player. The kid is an elite athlete -- otherwise he'd have had no prayer of success in learning how to switch hit at the professional level. He plays the toughest position on the diamond (that does not require squatting). I think you're going to be surprised at his development as a baseball player, Doug.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  9. #9
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,914

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Strongly disagree. Hamilton had a football scholarship to be a receiver at Mississippi State. He was a tremendous HS basketball player. The kid is an elite athlete -- otherwise he'd have had no prayer of success in learning how to switch hit at the professional level. He plays the toughest position on the diamond (that does not require squatting). I think you're going to be surprised at his development as a baseball player, Doug.
    Hamilton doesn't have all that good of hands. His arm isn't really anything to write home about. By mere mortal stretches, yes, Hamilton is a great athlete. But in comparison to guys who stand out as athletes in professional baseball? Hamilton has one plus tool to his game and it is speed. Super athletes have 3 plus tools or more.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Shelburne Falls, MA
    Posts
    10,253

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Hamilton doesn't have all that good of hands. His arm isn't really anything to write home about. By mere mortal stretches, yes, Hamilton is a great athlete. But in comparison to guys who stand out as athletes in professional baseball? Hamilton has one plus tool to his game and it is speed. Super athletes have 3 plus tools or more.
    My definition of athlete has Hamilton in the top tier. You can have yours.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

  11. #11
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,914

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    My definition of athlete has Hamilton in the top tier. You can have yours.
    Well what is yours based on?

    Baseball has 5 tools in which it rates the strength of those tools among the rest of baseball. Hamilton is above average in one of them. The rest are either average or below average.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4,712

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    One interpretation of a great athlete would be a guy who can play an array of sports at a high level. By that standard, Hamilton qualifies resoundingly.

    Doug, I can understand your application of athleticism to baseball skills, in this context. But I'm not sure that would hold up as a comprehensive definition. Bruce Jenner might have zero tools as a baseball player, and he was widely regarded as the greatest athlete in the world.

  13. #13
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,914

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    One interpretation of a great athlete would be a guy who can play an array of sports at a high level. By that standard, Hamilton qualifies resoundingly.

    Doug, I can understand your application of athleticism to baseball skills, in this context. But I'm not sure that would hold up as a comprehensive definition. Bruce Jenner might have zero tools as a baseball player, and he was widely regarded as the greatest athlete in the world.
    Jenner probably would have been an above average runner.

    But in this situation, what does Hamilton's ability to play other sports at a high level (which is almost directly tied to him being incredibly fast) do for him on the baseball field?

  14. #14
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,453

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jenner probably would have been an above average runner.

    But in this situation, what does Hamilton's ability to play other sports at a high level (which is almost directly tied to him being incredibly fast) do for him on the baseball field?
    It means that he has the athletic ability to learn new skills.

    To me being a great athlete says nothing about tools or skills. Tools and skills are acquired through hard work, intelligence and natural talent. Athleticism is based slowly on natural talent. It mostly has to do with coordination, quickness and strength, but it can't be divided like the five baseball tools, it's one "tool" in and of itself.

    Having athleticism helps individuals succeed in most physical sports, since coordination is the main requirement for success in most sports. Throw in hard work and intelligence, and most great athletes will develop most of the tools or skills needed to succeed at most sports. Hamilton seems to be proving that true.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  15. #15
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,914

    Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It means that he has the athletic ability to learn new skills.

    To me being a great athlete says nothing about tools or skills. Tools and skills are acquired through hard work, intelligence and natural talent. Athleticism is based slowly on natural talent. It mostly has to do with coordination, quickness and strength, but it can't be divided like the five baseball tools, it's one "tool" in and of itself.

    Having athleticism helps individuals succeed in most physical sports, since coordination is the main requirement for success in most sports. Throw in hard work and intelligence, and most great athletes will develop most of the tools or skills needed to succeed at most sports. Hamilton seems to be proving that true.
    Every single guy playing minor league baseball is a very good athlete though. Tools are something that are considered natural. Skills are the thing that are generally based upon the work put in with those tools.

    I feel like I am ripping Hamilton here, but I really like the kid as a prospect, I just don't really see him as some super athlete simply because he is incredibly fast. His other 'athletic' things he does on the baseball field just don't really stack up as being stand out compared to the guys on the field with him.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25