Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

I am definitely into trading Hamilton, if we could get a near ready to ready major league third basemen or left fielder. This lineup desperately needs something to augment the Cozart-Votto-Bruce trio.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    I am definitely into trading Hamilton, if we could get a near ready to ready major league third basemen or left fielder. This lineup desperately needs something to augment the Cozart-Votto-Bruce trio.
    The Reds probably have the bat they need, he just happens to sit on the bench 4 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    This guy has a skill unlike any other major leaguer's. I'm not interested in trading him. Especially after the Josh Hamilton and recent SD deal, I cringe at what mediocre pitcher we'd get in return
    Yes, I agree, particularly when the franchise could really use another impact offensive player. I'm not a huge prospect worshipper, but Hamilton is realistically untouchable in my opinion.. I say this because realistically, no one is going to offer 10X the value of him.

With Cueto, Latos, Chapman, Leake, maybe Homer.. the rotation is set for awhile.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Yes, I agree, particularly when the franchise could really use another impact offensive player. I'm not a huge prospect worshipper, but Hamilton is realistically untouchable in my opinion.. I say this because realistically, no one is going to offer 10X the value of him.

With Cueto, Latos, Chapman, Leake, maybe Homer.. the rotation is set for awhile.
    What makes Hamiltons skillset all that different from Brett Gardner or Michael Bourn?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What makes Hamiltons skillset all that different from Brett Gardner or Michael Bourn?
    He plays SS.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Hamilton for Will Middlebrooks?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    He plays SS.
    I was merely talking offensively. But if Hamilton moves to center, like many think he should and will, what makes his skillset any different than either of those guys?

I was merely talking offensively. But if Hamilton moves to center, like many think he should and will, what makes his skillset any different than either of those guys?
    I don't know that anything makes his skillset much different. At this point, he doesn't appear to have the plate discipline that either of those guys have and I don't think either of them have great plate discipline. I think right now his ceiling may be higher than those guys as far as developing a bit more pop, just because those guys are developed and they are what they are. I think if Hamilton turns into as good a hitter as either of them and plays MI that he will be somebody we want to hold on to. I think he may be a tick faster than either player at this point, but we will see how that wears on him.

I think both of those players are really good players to have. What was the point of the question? I hope Hamilton develops at least that well personally!

Bum

I don't know that anything makes his skillset much different. At this point, he doesn't appear to have the plate discipline that either of those guys have and I don't think either of them have great plate discipline. I think right now his ceiling may be higher than those guys as far as developing a bit more pop, just because those guys are developed and they are what they are. I think if Hamilton turns into as good a hitter as either of them and plays MI that he will be somebody we want to hold on to. I think he may be a tick faster than either player at this point, but we will see how that wears on him.

I think both of those players are really good players to have. What was the point of the question? I hope Hamilton develops at least that well personally!

Bum
    The point of the original question is if Hamilton has a ceiling of a Michael Bourn/Brett Gardner type of hitter, is he truly 'untouchable', as RedRead suggested he believes Hamilton is (untouchable that is, he hasn't commented on the Bourn/Gardner stuff yet).

The point of the original question is if Hamilton has a ceiling of a Michael Bourn/Brett Gardner type of hitter, is he truly 'untouchable', as RedRead suggested he believes Hamilton is (untouchable that is, he hasn't commented on the Bourn/Gardner stuff yet).
    Yeah, I'm not one of those guys that believes in untouchable players. But, if Hamilton can stick at SS he becomes a lot more valuable, in my mind anyway, than Bourn or Gardner. I think he's pretty valuable but I wouldn't suggest him to be untouchable. How do you think his skillset matches up to those guys? You probably know better than I do.

Bum

Yeah, I'm not one of those guys that believes in untouchable players. But, if Hamilton can stick at SS he becomes a lot more valuable, in my mind anyway, than Bourn or Gardner. I think he's pretty valuable but I wouldn't suggest him to be untouchable. How do you think his skillset matches up to those guys? You probably know better than I do.

Bum
    I am with you, if he can stay at shortstop he could be a guy who should, though may not because of a lack of counting stats, be in the conversation for MVP awards assuming things go right in his offensive development. Offensively, I think he could turn into either of the two guys mentioned, perhaps with a little more steals. Each of those guys have led their league in steals in the past and I do think that even with his speed, when he gets to the Majors, he won't run quite as much as he does now.

Hamilton isn't untouchable in my mind, but you do need to get back a premium talent if you are going to move him because he has the upside to be an All-star level player or better.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I don't think 2013 is a likely ETA for Hamilton, although at this level of production, it's hard not to dream.

What about moving Cozart to 3rd when Hamilton's ready? He's much more valuable if his defensive skills can come around at SS. We've already seen his propensity for learning baseball. I agree with Benihana, give it some time.
    Cozart's a fine SS. He's a very poor 3B. His glove just won't be able to carry his stick. Cozart at 2B, Phillips at 3B might be an option. Or the Reds could deal Cozart (or Gregorius or Hamilton) for other value (say, a starting 3B with power and glove, a closer prospect, or a LF masher a few years away).

If Hamilton develops defensively as a SS, his ceiling is much, much higher than Cozart's.

The question is the likelihood of reaching said ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Cozart's a fine SS. He's a very poor 3B. His glove just won't be able to carry his stick. Cozart at 2B, Phillips at 3B might be an option. Or the Reds could deal Cozart (or Gregorius or Hamilton) for other value (say, a starting 3B with power and glove, a closer prospect, or a LF masher a few years away).

If Hamilton develops defensively as a SS, his ceiling is much, much higher than Cozart's.

The question is the likelihood of reaching said ceiling.
    How many 3B's are there in MLB that are really that much better than Cozart has been to this point. I know there was a time when 3B was a power spot, but I would guess that the position has gotten progressively weaker in the last decade or so.

Bum

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Vince Coleman had a 13-year career, which is respectable, but he accrued only 13.2 WAR. That's a bit underwhelming if you ask me. But if he becomes the 1985-90 version of Coleman (12.8 WAR), I'd be thrilled. To be fair, injuries had a huge toll on Coleman's production, so I hope that's something Hamilton finds a way to avoid.
    I don't think we should get too greedy drooling over a Class A prospect. Let's hope he's Vince Coleman and if he exceeds that we can be thrilled. Vince Coleman was a sparkplug on a lot of good teams.

I'd be very hesitant to trade Hamilton but I suppose if the Nats want to part with Strasberg...

Turn Off Ads?