Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Billy Hamilton's speed is what made him good in track. It is what made him good in football. It is part of what makes him good in baseball. Take away Hamilton's insane speed and make him just a fast runner (let's say he is just as fast as Didi Gregorius, who is an above-average runner), does anyone really think he is some elite athlete? Don't get me wrong, he is a very good athlete, but as an athlete from top to bottom, he doesn't stand out among the field aside from his pure speed. He doesn't have a good arm, he has an average arm. He doesn't have outstanding bat speed, he has solid bat speed. He doesn't have good hands, he has average hands. He doesn't have average strength, he has below average strength. I just don't see it guys, not to the point where he is some super athlete among other top end of the spectrum athletes.
    Doug, think of the agility needed to play basketball well. Think of the hand-eye needed to learn switch-hitting at the professional level after playing baseball only one season a year in a relatively uncompetitive high school environment.

Remember, too, that he is playing the most demanding defensive position on the diamond (that doesn't require squatting).

Your contention that Hamilton is succeeding primarily because of his speed is a vast underestimation of his abilities as an athlete.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Doug, think of the agility needed to play basketball well. Think of the hand-eye needed to learn switch-hitting at the professional level after playing baseball only one season a year in a relatively uncompetitive high school environment.

Remember, too, that he is playing the most demanding defensive position on the diamond (that doesn't require squatting).

Your contention that Hamilton is succeeding primarily because of his speed is a vast underestimation of his abilities as an athlete.
    I am not suggesting he is succeeding primarily because of his speed. Clearly, he is a fantastic athlete. I am just saying he isn't a super athlete like a Josh Hamilton is. And I am saying that people are using his speed to suggest he is some sort of super athlete.

Billy Hamilton has 16 steals this season. The guy in 2nd place in all of the minor leagues has 11. Only 2 others even have 10.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Dan Patrick was an all-state high school basketball player. Doesn't mean he was a great athlete.

Billy Hamilton's speed is what made him good in track. It is what made him good in football. It is part of what makes him good in baseball. Take away Hamilton's insane speed and make him just a fast runner (let's say he is just as fast as Didi Gregorius, who is an above-average runner), does anyone really think he is some elite athlete? Don't get me wrong, he is a very good athlete, but as an athlete from top to bottom, he doesn't stand out among the field aside from his pure speed. He doesn't have a good arm, he has an average arm. He doesn't have outstanding bat speed, he has solid bat speed. He doesn't have good hands, he has average hands. He doesn't have average strength, he has below average strength. I just don't see it guys, not to the point where he is some super athlete among other top end of the spectrum athletes.
    Give it up man! Billy Hamilton is an accomplished minor league baseball player (one of the top 50 prospects in the game according to BA and other publications) and was good enough at football to receive a D-I college scholarship. He is absolutely a "great athlete." Will he be a "great baseball player"? That's still to be determined. But no question Hamilton is an elite athlete.

The fact that you would even argue about Usain Bolt is hilarious too. I'd say a guy that has gold medals hanging off his neck after breaking Olympic records is a great athlete, no question about it. Especially when he's the fastest man in the history of the world as far as we know. It would be like saying "Michael Phelps isn't a great athlete; he's just a great swimmer." No, once you reach the top of a respected sport, you are a "great athlete" by default. (Well, unless we're talking about golf or NASCAR of course. Ha. Oh wait, I did say "respected" so that does eliminate NECKCAR.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Just for clarification, Billy Hamilton averaged 27 ppg as a high school senior and was one of Mississippi's Dany Dozen (top 12 players in the state) the same season Isiah Cannon verballed to Murray State. As a point guard, he drew comparisons to Allen Iverson, if you can believe it.

In football, he was signed by Mississippi State and a member of the state's first-team All-State selection. He ran a 4.4 40-yard dash and finished second in the state in 2A with 49 receptions for 742 yards, a 15.1-yard average. He also led all 2A receivers with 18 touchdown catches as a senior receiver on offense. On defense, he had 68 tackles and was second among all Class 2A defensive backs with seven interceptions.

He's not only athletic, he's among the best athletes in the nation.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I still think he can be Jose Reyes.
    How 'bout Bip Roberts?

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Give it up man! Billy Hamilton is an accomplished minor league baseball player (one of the top 50 prospects in the game according to BA and other publications) and was good enough at football to receive a D-I college scholarship. He is absolutely a "great athlete." Will he be a "great baseball player"? That's still to be determined. But no question Hamilton is an elite athlete.

The fact that you would even argue about Usain Bolt is hilarious too. I'd say a guy that has gold medals hanging off his neck after breaking Olympic records is a great athlete, no question about it. Especially when he's the fastest man in the history of the world as far as we know. It would be like saying "Michael Phelps isn't a great athlete; he's just a great swimmer." No, once you reach the top of a respected sport, you are a "great athlete" by default. (Well, unless we're talking about golf or NASCAR of course. Ha. Oh wait, I did say "respected" so that does eliminate NECKCAR.)
    You don't think Billy Hamilton being among the fastest players in the country had anything to do with him being a good DB? Chad Johnson was once one of the best, if not the best wide receivers in football. I saw him swing a baseball bat. It looked like he was a 3 year old girl up there.

As for Usain Bolt.... here is what we know about him.... he is incredibly fast. Faster than anyone. Ever. What we don't know is if he has any upper body coordination in order to make his speed translate to something other than running.

Who cares if he's a great athlete if he can't get on base for the Reds? I don't.

The sports landscape is littered with guys that have been "great athletes" but couldn't find success in their sport of choice. Does that take anything away from their superior athletic qualities? No. They just weren't able to develop the skills needed to excel in their sport. Billy could very easily be one of those guys.

Dan Patrick was an all-state high school basketball player. Doesn't mean he was a great athlete.

He has superior coordination. The most important part of athleticism. That's what makes him a great wide receiver, and great basketball player, and why he is learning how to hit so quickly.

What you're missing is that the key tools that you need to succeed in baseball do not require athleticism. Having athleticism helps, but you can be a great hitter and even a great fielder through hard work and intelligence, and be a below average athlete. You also can be a bad hitter and a bad fielder and be a super athlete.

Saying that Hamilton is a super athlete does not mean ths he will be a super or even good baseball player.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    He has superior coordination. The most important part of athleticism. That's what makes him a great wide receiver, and great basketball player, and why he is learning how to hit so quickly.

What you're missing is that the key tools that you need to succeed in baseball do not require athleticism. Having athleticism helps, but you can be a great hitter and even a great fielder through hard work and intelligence, and be a below average athlete. You also can be a bad hitter and a bad fielder and be a super athlete.

Saying that Hamilton is a super athlete does not mean ths he will be a super or even good baseball player.
    If Hamilton were such a great receiver, why was he offered as a DB instead of a WR? His hands are the one reason scouts think he is going to move off of shortstop.

And I know that Hamilton doesn't have to be a super athlete to be a good baseball player. I am just saying that I don't think he is some super athlete among other professional baseball players. I think he is super fast compared to other professional baseball players. I don't think any of his other athletic skills really stand out among other professional baseball players. They are in line with a lot of the other guys, in which it makes him a fantastic athlete compared to any of us normal people.

If Hamilton were such a great receiver, why was he offered as a DB instead of a WR? His hands are the one reason scouts think he is going to move off of shortstop.

And I know that Hamilton doesn't have to be a super athlete to be a good baseball player. I am just saying that I don't think he is some super athlete among other professional baseball players. I think he is super fast compared to other professional baseball players. I don't think any of his other athletic skills really stand out among other professional baseball players. They are in line with a lot of the other guys, in which it makes him a fantastic athlete compared to any of us normal people.
    Well, you have seen him and every other minor league player more than I, so I will trust your judgement. It's been right most of the time.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

me thinks we need a "battle of the stars" to settle this debate.

Eh, I am done with it. I have stated my case and I feel pretty comfortable with it.

Toughness is another thing I like about Hamilton. You don't get offered D-I football scholarships unless you're tough. You don't play every game during the baseball season unless you're tough.

No question he's an elite athlete. Off-the-charts speed, great toughness, shows the ability to improve at a rapid rate, and shows good range as a shortstop (you know, only the most-important defensive position on a baseball team). I still think he will be a second baseman in MLB most likely (or even a CF) but go tell Brandon Phillips that should be something to be ashamed about.

It takes more than speed to average 27 points per game in high school basketball. 32 minutes, 27 points? At 6'1"? That and his ability to play PG indicate a guy with not only speed, but exceptional hand-eye and eye-foot coordination.

As a football player, he led Mississippi 2A receivers in receptions. That indicates both speed and hand-eye coordination. Add that he also played defense (as a DB, the most difficult position in football) at a very high level (Seven interceptions indicate his hand-eye coordination as well.).

I don't know of a three-sport athlete-- check that, a first-team All-State athlete in all three sports-- that wouldn't be considered out of this world athletic, especially in a state, like Mississippi, where athletes are a dime a dozen.

If nothing else, when you Google Hamilton, every scouting report on the first three pages mentions his outstanding athleticism.

Turn Off Ads?