Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    What 2 years would his two options have been used in. 2013 of course, but what other year?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    But the question said he would be sent down in 2013 and not be called up at all in 2014...how does an option get used?

He would use his 1st option in 2013 when he was sent down during/after spring training, he could then be called up and sent back down as often as he likes in 2013. Same story in 2014, and again in 2015 on his 3rd and final option.

In 2016, he'd have to stick with the big league club or be passed thru waivers.

Theo Bowe vs. Billy Hamilton: No comparison. Bowe might be within a tick to first base, but he does not possess the instincts on the bases, read and react, ability to change the game of a Hamilton. I watched both players for a full season and I never saw Bowe do any of the things that Hamilton did.

The options thing is getting a bit confusing for some. It is really pretty simple. The player can be optioned to the minors three seasons. So if they called him up in September, he could be optioned as many times as they want in 2013, 2014, and 2015. By 2016, he would have to stay on the roster or clear waivers if they wanted to send him down.

If he gets sent down in 2013 and is never called up at all in 2014, he still uses up an option in 2014 because he is on the 40-man roster at the start of the year and has to be optioned at the end of spring training.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    If he gets sent down in 2013 and is never called up at all in 2014, he still uses up an option in 2014 because he is on the 40-man roster at the start of the year and has to be optioned at the end of spring training.
    Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Theo Bowe vs. Billy Hamilton: No comparison. Bowe might be within a tick to first base, but he does not possess the instincts on the bases, read and react, ability to change the game of a Hamilton. I watched both players for a full season and I never saw Bowe do any of the things that Hamilton did.

The options thing is getting a bit confusing for some. It is really pretty simple. The player can be optioned to the minors three seasons. So if they called him up in September, he could be optioned as many times as they want in 2013, 2014, and 2015. By 2016, he would have to stay on the roster or clear waivers if they wanted to send him down.
    Here's a realistic exception . . .

Let's say he's able to stick on the Reds' roster in 2015 and doesn't get optioned that year. If he struggles in 2016, the Reds would still have the chance to send him down to the minors and use up Hamilton's 3rd option.

In other words, the option years don't need to be used consecutively.

I think the bigger issue than the options (but its an issue too) is locking up a 40 man roster spot before you need to with Hamilton.Th Reds are a little short in the upper minors now and may not need the spot, but it may cost them a player they want to keep at some point by locking that spot in.

If you just want a fast guy, why not get some one closer to the majors who may be able to contribute in other ways? Joey Gathright would seem a good fit for this role (though I wouldn't bother witrh this at all). . Heck, I'd even give Willy T a call before I'd lock myself in to a situation I can't get out of. If I want something as imited as a designated Pinch Runner, I want the ability to cut him loose when the play-offs are over.

I'd rather add somebody who can hit a Home Run off the bench for the stretch run and the post season. Use this spot to pick up a guy on August 31 from a team that's out of it. Jason Giambi, Jim Thome, heck even Jonny Gomes would be better than making a spot for a pinch runner only type IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 06-19-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    He would use his 1st option in 2013 when he was sent down during/after spring training, he could then be called up and sent back down as often as he likes in 2013. Same story in 2014, and again in 2015 on his 3rd and final option.

In 2016, he'd have to stick with the big league club or be passed thru waivers.
    Just confirming cause I really didn't know how that worked...

So Valaika being on the 40 man, has used up an option this year?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just confirming cause I really didn't know how that worked...

So Valaika being on the 40 man, has used up an option this year?
    yes.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp...tnerId=rss_cin
    Reds' Hamilton lives up to reputation
    Speedy Blaze outfielder swipes two bases in All-Star Game

I would think that BH is getting quite an education this year into what it will take to keep on stealing bases. He is not under the radar this season, everyone knows about him and his propensity to steal. I like it, it means he is seeing lots of different looks from pitchers, catchers, and fielders ... that has to be good.

GL

Does he really have 80 SBs in 66 games? That's nuts. It really is. Those are little girls softball numbers. It's amazing he can still walk. What's the minor league record for steals in a season? I commented last year that I didn't want to put his body through the pounding of a 100 steal season and I still feel that way but this has got to be historic, albeit at the minor league level

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Does he really have 80 SBs in 66 games? That's nuts. It really is. Those are little girls softball numbers. It's amazing he can still walk. What's the minor league record for steals in a season?
    145 by Vince Coleman back in 1982 (I might be off by a year or two).

Turn Off Ads?