Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

One of the things that took a huge toll on Coleman's career is gone. Hamilton will play 140 plus games on grass. No more astro turf.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    One of the things that took a huge toll on Coleman's career is gone.
    You had me puzzled for a second there. I thought you were referring to tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I was merely talking offensively. But if Hamilton moves to center, like many think he should and will, what makes his skillset any different than either of those guys?
    I think Hamilton shows elite SB ability beyond anything displayed by Gardner or Bourn. Neither of those two surpassed 60 SB in a season during their stints in the minors. As you know, Hamilton swiped 103 last year, and it's not as if it was at a low percentage. His 83.7% success rate when swiping that many bases is flat out amazing. To me, it appears as though there is + speed, and then there is Hamilton's +++ speed.

As they state on "Opposing View"...You know Dee Gordon, also known as “That Guy Currently On Pace For 90 Steals Despite A Sub-.300 On Base Percentage”? Well, Billy Hamilton is not only significantly faster than Gordon, stealing over 100 bases last season in just 135 games, but he’s also a significantly better offensive baseball player.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsfaninMT View Post
    I think Hamilton shows elite SB ability beyond anything displayed by Gardner or Bourn. Neither of those two surpassed 60 SB in a season during their stints in the minors. As you know, Hamilton swiped 103 last year, and it's not as if it was at a low percentage. His 83.7% success rate when swiping that many bases is flat out amazing. To me, it appears as though there is + speed, and then there is Hamilton's +++ speed.

As they state on "Opposing View"...You know Dee Gordon, also known as “That Guy Currently On Pace For 90 Steals Despite A Sub-.300 On Base Percentage”? Well, Billy Hamilton is not only significantly faster than Gordon, stealing over 100 bases last season in just 135 games, but he’s also a significantly better offensive baseball player.
    Hamilton isn't significantly faster than Gordon is. The are both in that 3.8-3.9 range to first base from the left side. Same for Brett Gardner. Hamilton might be ever so slightly faster than they are, but we are talking about insanely small amounts faster. This isn't like saying Jay Bruce has more power than Drew Stubbs where there is a giant gap.

And frankly, I don't care about the stolen base thing at this point. Yes, it adds some to the offense, but you need to hit first and foremost. That is what I was referring to. The hitting ability. The hitting line that will be put up.

Is Hamilton better than Gordon as a hitter? Right now, no. In the future, I think he could be. I think Hamilton has more pop in his bat, at least in the future. His gap power potential is better from both sides of the plate.

Nice article in the New York Times about Hamilton and how speed is becoming more important in today's post PED game.

http://bats.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/0...ive-the-steal/

“We’re seeing the game go through a renaissance right now,” said Bill Bavasi, the Reds’ vice president for scouting and player development. “We’re going to see some different bodies playing the game, and a premium is going to be placed on speed, on range and on doing all the little skills that were so important in baseball until all of a sudden, you started seeing 70 home runs and guys getting on base and waiting for bombs.”
    "I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody".
    —Bill Cosby

NL Central champs

How does Hamilton do as far as reading different pitchers and getting good jumps? Is he really good at either one of these or does he just get by on his speed?

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    How does Hamilton do as far as reading different pitchers and getting good jumps? Is he really good at either one of these or does he just get by on his speed?
    Right now, speed.

But he worked on it with Joe Morgan and others (Eric Davis, Rey Quinones, IIRC) this season and in the off-season in the Mexican League.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Is Hamilton hurt right now? I'm curious if anyone knows why he hasn't played since May 3rd. Thank you.

I think he had a funeral to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by RedRedhawk View Post
    I think he had a funeral to attend.
    You think right.

I didn't see this posted so if I missed it, my apologies but here are Manager Griffey's thoughts on Hamilton:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2...t-seen-before/

"He does things that I haven’t seen before, and I’ve been in the game 40 years.”
    Nice quote from Griffey Sr. if I've ever seen one. I think Billy will be able to get a letter of recommendation from him if he needs one.
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by VottoFan54 View Post
    I think it was Kevin Goldstein that recently commented that not only is Hamilton the fastest player in baseball, but also has incredible stolen base acumen.

What makes Hamiltons skillset all that different from Brett Gardner or Michael Bourn?
    Hamilton is a SS, the two guys you mentioned are good players, but OF.
    That's one advantage.
    If he can play SS (I realize the jury is still out on that), and have the offensive skills of those players, that's a pretty good asset.

High OBP SS, with Billy's range and speed are rare indeed.
    I realize his SLG will be limited, but I feel it's a good player.

In my opinion, he's more valuable than a prospect like Alonso was when Alonso was at this level.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I was merely talking offensively. But if Hamilton moves to center, like many think he should and will, what makes his skillset any different than either of those guys?
    Even if he has to be moved to CF, if he can have a high OBP and steal 100 bases, that's an asset. He could potentially be a better offensive version of Willie McGee, who was a very good player, despite not hitting for much power.

Some people like to complain about Stubbs. Based on WAR, Stubbs was in the middle of the pack as far as CF performance last year. There's a shortage of players that can play offense and defense well in CF too. No guarantee that Billy can pull it off, but the potential is there.

The wash out rate for pitching prospects is a lot higher than someone like Hamilton. No way would I trade Hamilton for the pitching prospects he would command (ie no one is going to trade a Stassburg for him, let's be realistic).

Edit, that strassburg comment was not a dig at anyone. I replied before reading the entire thread.. did not see the joke proposal..and was not responding to that
    Last edited by REDREAD; 05-08-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?