Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Re: Billy Hamilton: #1 on the BA Hot Sheet

Homer Bailey wins this thread.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

He just lacks some of the characteristics of of athleticism that many of the best baseball players have, and that is physical strength (aka power).
    Was Rob Deer's power a result of his athleticism? I think not.

In addition to his speed, Hamilton's extreme agility and hand-eye -- again, I cite the fact that he has learned to switch hit at the professional level after having played baseball only 1 season a year in a relatively lightweight HS baseball environment -- are a testament to his elite athleticism. He plays SS -- the most athletically demanding position on the diamond. He can do this because not only can he easily master time (via his speed), he can also master space. Elite athletes excel at almost any sport because of this ability to master movement through time and space -- Hamilton qualifies easily on those grounds. And this is why scouts feel they can develop pure athletes into baseball players -- while you don't see them saying stuff like, "well, he's strong, so we think he's got a high ceiling."

Brute strength is another matter entirely.

I think the point many are trying to make is that you can be a super athlete and still not be very good at baseball.

This whole discussion started because Wonderful Monds made the statement that Hamilton is a super athlete and that would help him gain power and possibly become as good as Jose Reyes. Doug countered that Hamilton is not a super athlete because he's not strong enough and never will be.

I think Doug got it half right. Hamilton will never be like Reyes because he's not as strong enough, and never will be. However, the fact that Hamilton is not as strong as Reyes doesn't mean that Hamilton is not a super athlete. I would have argued that yes, Hamilton is a super athlete, but he still would never be like Reyes because he will never have the power that Reyes has, regardless of how super an athlete he is.

ath·lete/ˈaTHlēt/
    Noun:
    A person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.
    Sounds like Billy Hamilton to me.[/endofdiscussion]

The discussion is argument about the definition of an adjective that does not exist.

Everyone that has uttered a word in this thread (other than myself!) is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Serious question: Is Bo Jackson the greatest athlete ever seen?

I think I'd vote yes.
    For me it was either Bo or Herschel Walker.

Herschel Walker was pretty much the physical equivalent of Bo Jackson. He was a phenomenal track guy, he was on the Olympic bobsled team. He is like 48 years old now and killing people half his age in MMA and says he can still run a 4.4 40, which by the way he looks, I would not be surprised.

He gets forgotten about because he never had any monster seasons in the NFL, which I attribute to the fact that he was abused early in his career and miscast later in his career. Between his 3 years at Georgia and his USFL stint the guy had over 2100 carries prior to playing in the NFL. By comparison Bo Jackson had 650.

Mickey Mantle wasn't bad. Wasn't bad at all.

For that matter, Willie Mays was not too shabby.

If we start talking inferior athletes, I would like to toss my name into that hat.

So this is what happens when the minor league forum no longer has Drew Stubbs to argue about
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

What would be the appropriate level to start working Hamilton in CF if the Reds ultimately feel that's the position he can most help the big league club? Note that I'm not advocating this, I'm just curious as to when that would most likely happen.

If Hamilton keeps destroying the league in Cali for another month the only reason for him to remain out there is because he's blocked in AA at SS. The guy is killing it his obp is obscene and his ops is willie mays like for a punch n judy hitter.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Billy Hamilton has 26 sb in 21 games.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm not sure there will ever again be another Bo Jackson. Unbelievable athlete.

Herschel was very impressive too.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

.381/.470/.583/1.053

28 out of 33 sb attempts
    14 bb / 17 k's

Yeah, that'll work.

It looks like people can't decide on the difference between toolsy and athletic. In fact, it looks like people want to call them the same thing, and not everyone can agree to do that.

Turn Off Ads?