Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rojo was there first

Rojo was there first

Why moving to New York would be good for the Oakland A’s, and good for baseball.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...gin_redirect=0

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rojo was there first

I don't think Brooklyn or Long Island would work, especially Long Island. Long Island is a real pain for people who live in NYC to get to. Besides, those people are already diehard Yankees or Mets fans. Even when the Mets are great, they have a hard time filling the seats. They do well because of the revenue streams, but there aren't many people in the seats.

New Jersey could work though. Even though most people in Jersey are Yankees or Mets fans as well, I don't think the passion is the same. If they put the stadium in the sports complex in East Rutherford, it could work. I still think they'd struggle to fill seats, but it would be better than Oakland I guess.

Wouldn't this just give the Giants the largest 1 team market in baseball?

Seems to be Bud is just going to force the A's to stay put, which is the worst move of all.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I don't think Brooklyn or Long Island would work, especially Long Island. Long Island is a real pain for people who live in NYC to get to. Besides, those people are already diehard Yankees or Mets fans. Even when the Mets are great, they have a hard time filling the seats. They do well because of the revenue streams, but there aren't many people in the seats.

New Jersey could work though. Even though most people in Jersey are Yankees or Mets fans as well, I don't think the passion is the same. If they put the stadium in the sports complex in East Rutherford, it could work. I still think they'd struggle to fill seats, but it would be better than Oakland I guess.
    The Mets would NEVER allow a team on LI. Never. That's a huge part of the Mets' fan base.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I've said for years that the 8,000,000+ population of the #1 TV market is big enough to support a third and a fourth MLB team. 3 teams seem to be able to coexist there in the NHL.
    /r/reds

FTR, I never advocated moving the A's. I think they could work if they got a new park, even if it's in Oakland. The current one is awful and in an awful part of town.

My recommendation is to put a team in Connecticut, cutting into the base of the Yanks and Sox. That rivalry is the main engine of salary escalation.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    I've said for years that the 8,000,000+ population of the #1 TV market is big enough to support a third and a fourth MLB team. 3 teams seem to be able to coexist there in the NHL.
    And it supported three baseball teams for decades.

Bring back the Philadelphia Athletics.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Interesting. I think Lexington needs a team.

Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Why moving to New York would be good for the Oakland A’s, and good for baseball.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...gin_redirect=0

Fantastic article Rojo but no way the Yankees or Mets would allow it, in the end The Giants come across as the bad guy for not allowing the team in Oakland to move and grow baseball in a very profitable market. My idea is funnel funds to the Giants on a percentage basis per season
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Do the Islanders actually count as a NHL team? haha

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Fantastic article Rojo but no way the Yankees or Mets would allow it, in the end The Giants come across as the bad guy for not allowing the team in Oakland to move and grow baseball in a very profitable market. My idea is funnel funds to the Giants on a percentage basis per season
    Why should the A's pay anything to the Giants, who only got San Jose in a boondoggle when they were threatening to move out of San Francisco if they didn't get a new stadium? Why did MLB have to buy of Peter Angelos to let the Expos move to Washington? If the current owners of the team deserve anything, it's maybe a one-time payout to counter any possible decrease in the value of the team, which will inevitably rise again. But I don't think a smaller market team should be paying a bigger market team anything. If the A's moved to San Jose, they'd likely still need every bit of revenue they could muster to compete with the big boys.

My feeling is that MLB should let the A's move to San Jose or NYC or wherever and tell the Giants or the Yankees and Mets to deal with it. I'm tired of owners with outsized market areas using their "territorial rights" to gain huge advantages in revenues and preventing other teams from sharing in the pie. If I were commissioner, I'd tell teams like the Giants, Yankees, and Mets to either accept another team in their "territory" or accept full revenue sharing of all media, including local tv and radio broadcast rights. The only reason these teams have advantages in revenue streams is due to MLB "territorial rights."

I think NYC could support a third or even fourth team. Put a team in Manhattan or Brooklyn and fans will flock to it as the team of "their" borough. Put another team in New Jersey. Much better than trying to move a struggling team from one small market to another like Las Vegas, which will probably be a ghost town in 30-50 years when they run out of water.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?