Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction: Kevin Youkilis will be the Reds next 3B

Prediction: Kevin Youkilis will be the Reds next 3B

My guess is the Sox don't pick up his option after this year, given both his direction and their direction. He signs with the Reds in the offseason for a 1 or 2 year deal to finish his career in his hometown.*

You heard it here first (no inside info just an educated guess at this point).

*Unless of course Frazier or Henry Rodriguez absolutely light it up this year, in which case perhaps Youkilis could play LF.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prediction: Kevin Youkilis will be the Reds next 3B

Our team has been lacking in bald, sweaty guys with goatees.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Considering Valentine's recent comments, it might be sooner.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I like it. I both hope you're right and think you're right.

THE YOOOUKA!

Stat geek...and proud
    He looks really old right now. He could get a dead cat bounce from coming to the NL but who knows. He might be washed up, then we're going down Rolen Road all over again.

Forget next year, this needs to happen THIS year. Doc Rogers on 700 after the game mentioned possibly swapping youk for rolen and a pitcher. I don't know why the sox would want a clearly overmatched rolen though. If he can't hit in the NL the past two years he would be thoroughly embarrassed in the AL East.

Rogers also mentioned Bobby Abreu and Carlos Lee as two guys he thinks the Reds should be looking at. I'd pass on Abreu, but Lee would fit into this lineup/team perfectly.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Why?

Youk has hit about the same as Rolen since last years all star break (nothing), while delivering less defense.

Love the guy, love the Cincy roots, but don't want the Reds to pay a premium price for an aging player with a slow bat and is past his prime.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Why?

Youk has hit about the same as Rolen since last years all star break (nothing), while delivering less defense.
    http://insider.espn.go.com/fantasy/b...n-red-sox-fans

It started late last season, even before the Red Sox imploded in September. Youkilis eventually needed surgery for a sports hernia, which I believe played a role in him batting .209 in August and .167 in September. From May through July, Youkilis hit .288 while drawing plenty of walks and knocking in 20 runs per month. Put simply, he was a valuable asset when healthy, then an injury turned him into a liability. Youkilis has played in an average of only 111 games over the past two campaigns, but one of those seasons he was very productive (.975 OPS in 2010) and even last year, for three months, nobody complained.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Can't afford him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Can't afford him.
    Yeah, I'd be worried about his pricetag too. Maybe he'd take a hometown discount? I'd like to see his bat rebound a little bit as well.

What if Rolen comes to Jocketty and says he's interested in an extension for 2 years for pennies? Or even 1 year? Do you do it?

If the Reds were to sign Youkilis, that'd probably take the payroll over $100M for 2013. Let's say none of Scott Rolen, Ryan Ludwick, Miguel Cairo, Willie Harris, and Ryan Madson are re-signed. In order to keep the remaining team intact, they have $71.75M in guaranteed contracts to pay out plus the 8-10 players who will be eligible for arbitration (Heisey, Stubbs, Janish, Valdez, Leake, Latos, Bailey, Bray, Ondrusek, Simon). To keep all 10 of those players, it would probably cost ~$25M. If Heisey and/or Ondrusek aren't eligible for super two status, that would be a minimal help. And let's also say the Reds decide to part ways with Janish, Valdez, and maybe Bray or Simon. You're still talking about spending over $90M on the team without Youkilis or any other additions. It's a stretch to think the Reds could afford that, but the Reds have been accused of having some cash saved up, so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Only if he's coming home at a discount. A BIG discount. He's on the wrong side of the trend chart.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Only if he's coming home at a discount. A BIG discount. He's on the wrong side of the trend chart.
    Agreed- I certainly wouldn't pay nine figures for him. But I may take him at a significant discount.
    Go BLUE!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Can't afford him.
    Can't afford him? I think you're talking about the OLD cincy club. The new high-rent Reds can easily afford him.

But I don't think he's the right target. We need a left-handed banger who plays solid defense for left and is a LEGITIMATE middle of the order bat.

Once Rolen is done, we've got his replacement in house already. Mr. Frazier.

As for left handed (or switch) OF power options. They're VERY limited currently. There are only a handful of guys who even remotely fit that description.

Logan Morrison, Carlos Gonzales, Alex Gordon, Nick Swisher, Carlos Beltran & Curtis Granderson. Now what the odds are of luring any of those guys away are, I'd say long indeed.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 04-23-2012 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Can't afford him? I think you're talking about the OLD cincy club. The new high-rent Reds can easily afford him.

But I don't think he's the right target. We need a left-handed banger who plays solid defense for left and is a LEGITIMATE middle of the order bat.
    I am not sure if he is the right target or not but I disagree with the assertion that the team needs a left handed banger. While the team does need a lefty bench bat, due to the Reds insisting on Votto and Bruce being split, the team is in great need of a solid bat to fit between them. A right handed masher to hit 4th would be perfect.

Turn Off Ads?