Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Prediction: Kevin Youkilis will be the Reds next 3B

Re: Prediction: Kevin Youkilis will be the Reds next 3B

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think the Reds will make another trade with San Diego and acquire Chase Headley for prospects. Headley can play 3B or LF. He will play platoon in LF this season and occasionally play 3B on Rolen's off days. Then take over at 3B next season.

"That's Headley!"
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post

"That's Headley!"
    Thanks for giving me a laugh on an otherwise tough day. One of my favorite movies...and old enough to have seen it in theaters.

I think the Reds will make another trade with San Diego and acquire Chase Headley for prospects. Headley can play 3B or LF. He will play platoon in LF this season and occasionally play 3B on Rolen's off days. Then take over at 3B next season.
    I sincerely hope that this happens. I am a big fan of Headley. He also has dramatic splits outside of Petco, which leads me to think that he would have the potential to take off in GABP. The role you describe makes a ton of sense too- and he switch hits!!!

.....Please, Walt?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

I like Headley as a trade target, too. Between James Darnell, Jedd Gyorko, and Duanel Jones, they should feel like they have a third baseman of the future elsewhere in the organization. Would anyone be willing to offer Didi Gregorius and Donnie Joseph for Headley? Would it take more/less than that?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I like Headley as a trade target, too. Between James Darnell, Jedd Gyorko, and Duanel Jones, they should feel like they have a third baseman of the future elsewhere in the organization. Would anyone be willing to offer Didi Gregorius and Donnie Joseph for Headley? Would it take more/less than that?
    I'd do that, but I think the Pads would want more and the Reds may need Joseph if Bray doesn't come around. The Pads may also want something different than a MI since they just got Amerista.

I think the Reds should pursue a deal with the Cubs. Bryan Lahair in LF, even on a platoon basis, would solve a ton of this team's problems. The deal I'd offer that should get the Cubs attention is Mike Leake, Chris Heisey and Chris Valaike for Bryan LaHair, Ryan Dempster, Adrian Cardenas and cash to cover Dempster's salary.

The Cubs would get a young starter who can help anchor the rotation and a useful, under control OF with speed, defense and pop (and flaws) who could serve as an insurance policy for the future Soriano, Jackson, Szcur, Sappelt and Campana OF contingent. Valaika would provide a MI for the minor league emergency contingent. They'd be clearing the way for Anthony Rizzo to take over at 1B.

The Reds would have Lahair under control through 2018 as a lefty bat for LF, the bench, the middle of the order and as an understudy to Votto. Dempster would go into Leake's spot until the end of the year when that spot would be opened for Chapman in 2013 (and the potential arb case that Leake represents would no longer be an issue). Cardenas is a LH hitting 2B who has played SS and 3B who has hit fairly well in the minors and may serve as an alternative to balance the bench a little in place of Harris or Valdez. With the rash of injuries around the league, it may make sense to nab Dempster and Lahair before some team the Reds may be competing with for a play-off spot (like Milwaukee, Philly or Washington for example) go get them.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd do that, but I think the Pads would want more and the Reds may need Joseph if Bray doesn't come around. The Pads may also want something different than a MI since they just got Amerista.

I think the Reds should pursue a deal with the Cubs. Bryan Lahair in LF, even on a platoon basis, would solve a ton of this team's problems. The deal I'd offer that should get the Cubs attention is Mike Leake, Chris Heisey and Chris Valaike for Bryan LaHair, Ryan Dempster, Adrian Cardenas and cash to cover Dempster's salary.

The Cubs would get a young starter who can help anchor the rotation and a useful, under control OF with speed, defense and pop (and flaws) who could serve as an insurance policy for the future Soriano, Jackson, Szcur, Sappelt and Campana OF contingent. Valaika would provide a MI for the minor league emergency contingent. They'd be clearing the way for Anthony Rizzo to take over at 1B.

The Reds would have Lahair under control through 2018 as a lefty bat for LF, the bench, the middle of the order and as an understudy to Votto. Dempster would go into Leake's spot until the end of the year when that spot would be opened for Chapman in 2013 (and the potential arb case that Leake represents would no longer be an issue). Cardenas is a LH hitting 2B who has played SS and 3B who has hit fairly well in the minors and may serve as an alternative to balance the bench a little in place of Harris or Valdez. With the rash of injuries around the league, it may make sense to nab Dempster and Lahair before some team the Reds may be competing with for a play-off spot (like Milwaukee, Philly or Washington for example) go get them.
    You realize that LaHair is older than Votto, and turns 30 this year? He's on a tear now because of a ridiculous .527 BABIP. Once the league sees him, he's likely to turn into Wily Mo Pena.

As for Headley, I just don't see the Padres trading him. They need more offense, and trading their one young offensive stud makes no sense.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

LaHair turns 30 in November. He's played 20 or so games in 2 other seasons with mediocre to average results. I'd be suspicious of his numbers right now. If he pulls a Morse type season, I'd consider him in the offseason if there aren't any better options. And I wouldn't give up much for him.

San Diego needs alot of players. Headley isn't going to make or break that team, but he'd be a good addition to the Reds considering he is a solid third baseman, with Rolen retiring or moving on after the season. I think they'd consider the right offer. Not sure what it is though.

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    You realize that LaHair is older than Votto, and turns 30 this year? He's on a tear now because of a ridiculous .527 BABIP. Once the league sees him, he's likely to turn into Wily Mo Pena.

As for Headley, I just don't see the Padres trading him. They need more offense, and trading their one young offensive stud makes no sense.
    I realize that Lahair is 29. I don't care. If they have him for three more years, that's probably all they'll have Leake before Leake prices himself out of town. I also realize that Dempster is an upgrade to Leake in the rotation and that the Reds don't have a bat that can do what Lahair could probably do until Lutz arrives. I'd deal Leake for an upgrade in the rotation and a LH platoon OF who could provide 400 productive ABs against RHP. I'm also a believer that Heisey is a 4th OFer (and Stubbs a 5th or a defense first guy who is a glove carried by his teammates). The Reds won't miss those guys.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-04-2012 at 08:19 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

LaHair turns 30 in November. He's played 20 or so games in 2 other seasons with mediocre to average results. I'd be suspicious of his numbers right now. If he pulls a Morse type season, I'd consider him in the offseason if there aren't any better options. And I wouldn't give up much for him.

San Diego needs alot of players. Headley isn't going to make or break that team, but he'd be a good addition to the Reds considering he is a solid third baseman, with Rolen retiring or moving on after the season. I think they'd consider the right offer. Not sure what it is though.
    The problem with waiting until the offseason is that this season will go down the tubes without an upgrade to the OF. LaHair can hit.

I'd love to have Headley, I just can't figure what the Pads would want for him. If I were them I wouldn't deal him for Leake or Bailey and the Reds can't really deal either of them unless a starter comes back in the deal as well. Perhaps a deal involving Billy Hamilton would get their attention, but I'd say the Reds would need to throw in something else. Maybe Hamilton/Frazier and an arm along the lines of Sulbaran could get it done.

Hamilton makes little sense as a trade chip - right now he's still in the low minors and a ways from the ML which will depress the return somewhat for such a high talent player. Neftali Soto makes more sense because he's blocked now that Joey has signed LT, he's a high profile, high level prospect and could be bundled with a prospect like Sulbaran for a pretty good return (the Padres wouldn't want Soto, though, with Alonso there).

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Hamilton makes little sense as a trade chip - right now he's still in the low minors and a ways from the ML which will depress the return somewhat for such a high talent player. Neftali Soto makes more sense because he's blocked now that Joey has signed LT, he's a high profile, high level prospect and could be bundled with a prospect like Sulbaran for a pretty good return (the Padres wouldn't want Soto, though, with Alonso there).
    I don't think you'd get much for Soto. The only prospect above A+ who may bring much back as a centerpiece of a deal is Corcino IMO.

3B is a black hole for a lot of teams. If you want Headley, go big or stay home because somebody else will.

I don't think you'd get much for Soto. The only prospect above A+ who may bring much back as a centerpiece of a deal is Corcino IMO.

3B is a black hole for a lot of teams. If you want Headley, go big or stay home because somebody else will.
    I would think DiDi has some trade value at this point. But after that, I agree with your point.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I would think DiDi has some trade value at this point. But after that, I agree with your point.
    I don't see him being a centerpiece for somebody like Headley. Maybe somebody like Garrett Jones or David Dejesus, but not some one like Headley unless there is a bigger fish included going from the Reds.

Youkilis's stock with the Red Sox is at an all-time low, thanks to Will Middlebrooks. If the Reds want him, now is the time to start making offers.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Why the Sox should trade Youkilis:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/...kevin-youkilis

Turn Off Ads?