Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wee Willie Harris

Wee Willie Harris

Not caring much for Wee Willie. Kind of a waste of a roster spot so far.
    Not the LH bat off the bench the Reds need.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Wee Willie Harris

From 2007-2011 Willie Harris has a higher OBP than any starter on the Reds outside of Joey Votto. Not the best start of the season, but it is April.

I didn't particularly like it when they picked him up. I think there should to be better options. Maybe he'll come around.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    I didn't particularly like it when they picked him up. I think there should to be better options. Maybe he'll come around.
    I think for the 24th or 25th guy on the roster, he isn't a bad guy to have around with his history. As I noted, good at finding first base. Then there is the fact that he can play just about anywhere. Solid bench guy.

I guess he's going to have to prove his worth to me with the Reds lack of quality LH hitters. He may be a solid bench guy for some teams. Not so sure with this one.

I'm not a huge fan, but let's also realize he shouldn't be starting at all. If Frazier is on the roster, I'd rather see him get the start at 2B (unless his defense is really atrocious).

He's obviously the last position player on the roster and as replacement-level utility guys go, he's pretty much what you get. For people who want him gone, who specifically do you replace him with?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm not a huge fan, but let's also realize he shouldn't be starting at all. If Frazier is on the roster, I'd rather see him get the start at 2B (unless his defense is really atrocious).

He's obviously the last position player on the roster and as replacement-level utility guys go, he's pretty much what you get. For people who want him gone, who specifically do you replace him with?
    Frazier at 2B is not pretty at all. He is slow in his movements and actions. It is incredibly clear that he simply has to think through every movement on that side of second base. Not a guy you want playing there at all.

Based on Harris' poor start, it's justified to criticize him. He's the only lefty on the bench, would rather have a better hitter.

But let's not pick on the utility man.

It's been a long road trip, the weather in Chicago was bad, it's early, but the team generally hasn't hit much. And I'm talking the starters. Guys like Ludwick and Rolen have pretty sad numbers right now.

Willie is an easy target, but I'm hopeful that the trip home and perhaps an easier schedule at some point will give rise to more offense.

So we can vent at Willie, but he's not the main issue.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think for the 24th or 25th guy on the roster, he isn't a bad guy to have around with his history. As I noted, good at finding first base. Then there is the fact that he can play just about anywhere. Solid bench guy.
    Exactly and any game in 50 degree temps where Phillips and his hammy sit on the bench is money. Kudos to Harris.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Frazier at 2B is not pretty at all. He is slow in his movements and actions. It is incredibly clear that he simply has to think through every movement on that side of second base. Not a guy you want playing there at all.
    Fair enough. If it's between Harris and Valdez starting at 2B when Phillips is out and Valdez, give me Harris.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Fair enough. If it's between Harris and Valdez starting at 2B when Phillips is out and Valdez, give me Harris.
    Yeah, Valdez is the guy that I really am not sure why he is on the roster. He doesn't do anything on offense and I can't figure out what he can give you defensively that Harris or Frazier can't.

Yeah, Valdez is the guy that I really am not sure why he is on the roster. He doesn't do anything on offense and I can't figure out what he can give you defensively that Harris or Frazier can't.
    Valdez can play shortstop. He's similar to Janish, the Reds just obviously hoped Valdez would hit a bit more. Maybe he will.

The Reds don't view Frazier or Harris as a shortstop.

The only way Valdez is leaving is if Janish is returning. They want a backup shortstop on the club.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Doug, I agree with you and others who value Harris as a man on the bench. That being said, do you really think Harris and Frazier can play as good of defense at short as Valdez? If Dusty is going to give Cozart off days, then I see the value of Valdez. If I were Dusty, I don't think I would even keep a back-up a SS. I would just have Frazier or Harris play bad defense at short one game every other week and if the game got close late, I would bring in Cozart for defense. If Cozart needs to go on the DL, then you call up Janish or Valdez if he were to make it through waivers.

My only problem with Harris that he's never hit in the major leagues. Never. His career average is .238 and most of his plus .320 career OBP is walks, which are fine, but I have a personal problem with players who depend on the walk to get on base. He's walked one time this year in 20+ at bats. I just hate to clog the roster with total busts at the plate. Valdez and Harris are not both needed. Should have just brought Janish up.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    My only problem with Harris that he's never hit in the major leagues. Never. His career average is .238 and most of his plus .320 career OBP is walks, which are fine, but I have a personal problem with players who depend on the walk to get on base. He's walked one time this year in 20+ at bats. I just hate to clog the roster with total busts at the plate. Valdez and Harris are not both needed. Should have just brought Janish up.
    Why Janish? He does the same thing. Except he'd satisfy your personal problem with walks. He doesn't get those either.

Turn Off Ads?