Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Logan Ondrusek Thread

Re: Logan Ondrusek Thread

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He's my favorite Red. I've met him a couple times, and he's a genuinely nice guy. Plus he's a fan of Marilyn Manson, and although I'm not much of a fan, I think it's awesome that someone picked out one of his songs to be played at Great American Ballpark, which is usually overly sensitive to the public's wishes.
    I've always liked him, because he's from little old Shiner, Texas. The home of one of my favorite beers.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    I've always liked him, because he's from little old Shiner, Texas. The home of one of my favorite beers.
    I never realized that. Just another reason to love him because believe me--I've had my share of Shiner Bock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Curve balls work, but Sean relies so heavily on that one pitch. Against righties, he can hang it once in awhile.

Sean is an unusual type closer, most of them are more willing to rely on the fastball. Today, Sean really didn't seem to want to use his fastball much.

I don't know, we'll see how it goes, but as someone said in the game thread today, Sean may be more effective setting up.
    I still don't follow your logic here. I understand the point regarding mixing up his pitches, but what does that have to do with closing vs. setting up? His splits suggest that while he's better against lefties, he's not exactly bad vR.

Or put differently, how does Ondrusek or Arredondo's vR comprare to Marshall's vR?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I still don't follow your logic here. I understand the point regarding mixing up his pitches, but what does that have to do with closing vs. setting up? His splits suggest that while he's better against lefties, he's not exactly bad vR.

Or put differently, how does Ondrusek or Arredondo's vR comprare to Marshall's vR?
    Not speaking for him, but it's obvious Sean is not a prototypical closer isn't it?
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    He's my favorite Red. I've met him a couple times, and he's a genuinely nice guy. Plus he's a fan of Marilyn Manson, and although I'm not much of a fan, I think it's awesome that someone picked out one of his songs to be played at Great American Ballpark, which is usually overly sensitive to the public's wishes.
    I think I figured out where he gets his uniform number from...

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Not speaking for him, but it's obvious Sean is not a prototypical closer isn't it?
    What, in that he pitches better than most?

He's actually different than most relievers in general. Being a closer doesn't require a unique set of skills like Liam Neeson. It's obvious that the job is to limit runs, something Marshall is very good at.

I am extremely confident that if given enough innings he would succeed in the role. At the same time, I really dont care as long as he is pitching high leverage innings. If the Reds move him out of the closer gig, he will be just as valuable, and actually become less expensive based on the parameters of the contract. It's one of those cases where they could benefit by making a knee jerk reaction without using adequate judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    He's actually different than most relievers in general. Being a closer doesn't require a unique set of skills like Liam Neeson. It's obvious that the job is to limit runs, something Marshall is very good at.
    Nice reference. Love that movie. And BTW, I'm sure Liam would make a good closer. He'd just scare the crap out of anyone who dared enter the batter's box.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Nice reference. Love that movie. And BTW, I'm sure Liam would make a good closer. He'd just scare the crap out of anyone who dared enter the batter's box.
    Speaking of movies, does Marshall remind anyone else of Peter Gibbons?

More the a few closers use(d) a curveball as their out pitch. Joe Nation is the first to come to mind. I believe Eck and Fingers relied heavily on a curveball. And Trevor Hoffman used a bugs bunny changeup.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    More the a few closers use(d) a curveball as their out pitch. Joe Nation is the first to come to mind. I believe Eck and Fingers relied heavily on a curveball. And Trevor Hoffman used a bugs bunny changeup.
    Um, Marshall's curveball isn't getting many guys out right now as his 4.91 ERA indicates.
    Last edited by powersackers; 05-10-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Um, Marshall's curveball isn't getting many guys out right now as his 4.91 ERA indicates.
    His ERA was shot up by that 3 run blown save against the Giants.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    His ERA was shot up by that 3 run blown save against the Giants.
    Or the hanging curve ball he threw to earn those runs. Right?

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Or the hanging curve ball he threw to earn those runs. Right?
    Wrong. Pagan hit a pretty good curveball, it happens.

His xFIP is 1.63, he's doing just fine.

It's been like 13 innings. I assume you are baiting so I wont dignify any further.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Wrong. Pagan hit a pretty good curveball, it happens.

His xFIP is 1.63, he's doing just fine.
    On strike 4 as you will recall.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?