Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Logan Ondrusek Thread

High five!

Re: Logan Ondrusek Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    What, in that he pitches better than most?

He's actually different than most relievers in general. Being a closer doesn't require a unique set of skills like Liam Neeson. It's obvious that the job is to limit runs, something Marshall is very good at.

I am extremely confident that if given enough innings he would succeed in the role. At the same time, I really dont care as long as he is pitching high leverage innings. If the Reds move him out of the closer gig, he will be just as valuable, and actually become less expensive based on the parameters of the contract. It's one of those cases where they could benefit by making a knee jerk reaction without using adequate judgement.
    I can't wait for Liam Neeson day!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It's been like 13 innings. I assume you are baiting so I wont dignify any further.
    He's kind of got a point, though. We can't pretend those runs didn't happen, and I sometime feel like people run to xFIP etc. as the gospel of what should have happened rather than what happened.

Every since Marshall gave up the HR to Pagan I have felt that he may not be suited to the closers role. If he's not perfect with that big looping curve ball then it becomes a very hittable pitch. Also most good MLB hitters can fight off that pitch until a better one comes in. Case in point is Ryan Braun yesterday. He fought off a couple of very good breakers then finally got one much more hittable and knocked it out. Most closers throw very hard or have some type of specialty pitch like a fork ball or cutter that is really hard to hit. Ondrusek may be the answer. I don't know. Chapman is a choice too even though I would much rather he start. I hope I'm wrong and Marshall works out but right now I don't know if he will.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I can't wait for Liam Neeson day!

That sounds like something off of Seinfeld

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Every since Marshall gave up the HR to Pagan I have felt that he may not be suited to the closers role. If he's not perfect with that big looping curve ball then it becomes a very hittable pitch. Also most good MLB hitters can fight off that pitch until a better one comes in. Case in point is Ryan Braun yesterday. He fought off a couple of very good breakers then finally got one much more hittable and knocked it out. Most closers throw very hard or have some type of specialty pitch like a fork ball or cutter that is really hard to hit. Ondrusek may be the answer. I don't know. Chapman is a choice too even though I would much rather he start. I hope I'm wrong and Marshall works out but right now I don't know if he will.
    Query why then has Marshall been so unhittable the last few years if hitters can simply fight off his curve balls until they get something they can drive?

At the end of the year when you compare Marshall to Ondrusek you'll see why Marshall is so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    He's kind of got a point, though. We can't pretend those runs didn't happen, and I sometime feel like people run to xFIP etc. as the gospel of what should have happened rather than what happened.
    When you are comparing pitchers who have racked up about 10 iinings each. Looking at the actual results can be particularly deceiving.

xFIP is a better stat at projecting what will happen in the future than ERA.

You know whats ironical and stuff - - people on here relentlessly attack Baker for conforming to managerial typecasting. "Catchers bat eighth, dude."

Yet, a lot of those same people are now typecasting Marshall because, and I quote, he is not a typical closer. He "doesn't throw hard" enough to close. He relies on a curveball for an out pitch and closers don't do that.

Pot.......I would like to introduce you to kettle.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    xFIP is a better stat at projecting what will happen in the future than ERA.
    Sure, but not in any specific way. Great K/BB, crazy high BABIP, high GO%, low LD% gets you to the same place.

And membengal's point wasn't about what may happen moving forward, it was that we can't ignore that Marshall has been a little inconsistent so far. I think Marshall's dynamite and I'm thrilled the Reds have him, but he's needs to be more reliable so praise him for what he is rather than speculate about what he should be.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I tend to thonk that Marshall will be fine in the closer role. He's been one of the best bullpen arms over the last couple of years, and we've seen that in most of his appearances this year. I'm more comfortable with him than I would have been with Cordero.

Having said that, I really like what Dusty did yesterday and would have been fine leaving Chapman in. You do what you can to get a win, and that means putting the best guy for the job in no matter the role.

And I'm not just saying that because I'd picked up Logan on my fantasy team (holds count) the day before.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    And I'm not just saying that because I'd picked up Logan on my fantasy team (holds count) the day before.
    Marshall got a hold yesterday BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Marshall got a hold yesterday BTW.
    Yep, but he's owned. I also have Chapman, though, so I got the win.

And I need every point I can get.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Isn't evaluating pitchers about getting guys out, not what pitch is used to do that? The suggestions that "curveball pitchers shouldn't be closers" is illogical and grasping at straws. Marshall has a track record of dominance with his repetoire. I don't think it has anything to do with what inning he pitched.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Cruisin' for trouble

Marshall and Latos are new additions to the team who are being met with very high expectations - their own included. Marshall's role is new to him - I expect some bumps along the way, but I don't question his skillset. Latos was essentially brought over to be "the man". Once they settle in, they'll be fine.

I have no issues with Marshall, but put me down as a guy who'd prefer to use his hammer when he has a really tough nail to drive rather than saving it for the 9th when the situation is unknown and an all purpose tool can usually get the job done. IMO, both Chapman and Marshall should be the guys Dusty leans on when the game is on the line in the later innings when the starter is done. Give me those guys when there are tying runs on base or the meat of the order coming up (which could be the 9th sometimes) and let one of those other guys (Ondrusek, Arredondo, Masset or Bray if healthy), who are still pretty good pitchers, be slotted for the generic 9th inning, no body on situation. Especially hate saving/wasting the top guys when its 6, 7, 8; 7, 8, 9 or 8, 9, 1 coming up.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-10-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Marshall is clearly a bust. Jocketty needs to trade him to the Ms for Miguel Olivo....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?