Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    966

    Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am not a big fan of comps. They often are full of misinformation. Some player comps are based on how the guy looks/swings, but they aren't projected for similar results. Other guys are making comps for a statistical base and I am more comfortable with that, but I really don't know who I would compare him too because I could see a fairly wide range of outcomes at this point still.
    I see what you mean, and there's definitely a limit to the comps that can be made with toolsy players like Gregorius. How much power do you think he could still develop? No extra-base hits in 19 games isn't a great sign from a statistical point of view.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,939

    Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I see what you mean, and there's definitely a limit to the comps that can be made with toolsy players like Gregorius. How much power do you think he could still develop? No extra-base hits in 19 games isn't a great sign from a statistical point of view.
    He could be a 15 home run guy if he figures out how to use his power swing more often. He clearly has different swings depending on the situation. When he gets two strikes on him, he completely sells out his power for contact. When he wants to keep his weight back he can run into them pretty good.

    Check out this video of him from last year. Look at the different set ups he uses.
    Didi Gregorius at the plate for the Carolina Mudcats - YouTube

  4. #33
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,939

    Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

    David Vidal has 2 home runs tonight for Bakersfield, who is up 6-0 in the 6th.

  5. #34
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    966

    Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He could be a 15 home run guy if he figures out how to use his power swing more often. He clearly has different swings depending on the situation. When he gets two strikes on him, he completely sells out his power for contact. When he wants to keep his weight back he can run into them pretty good.

    Check out this video of him from last year. Look at the different set ups he uses.
    Didi Gregorius at the plate for the Carolina Mudcats - YouTube
    He definitely put a charge into that home run. Didn't look at all like a slap hitter there. It would be nice to see him add a bit more power to his repertoire, but he seems to be doing quite capable at getting on base with his current setup. It would be great to have a guy that can adjust seamlessly between approaches like that depending on the situation, though I don't think selling out for average from time to time precludes his prospect value.

    Either way, he looks like he might break into the top 100 prospect list by the time the season is out. Above-average, defensive-minded shortstops with a strong hit tool and power potential aren't always easy to come by.

  6. #35
    Member corkedbat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    6,434

    Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Where does he play, assuming Cozart stays at SS?
    Didi is a left-handed hitter and HRod switch-hits. At the very least, I think those two and Todd Frazier would give you a better (and more balanced) reserve infield than Harris, Cairo and Valdez - maybe as soon as next year. Of course Gregorious or Rodriguez could be trade bait too. Phillips, Cozart, Gregorious and Rodriguez could also allow the Reds to move Hamilton to CF (if his D does not come around @ SS).
    Last edited by corkedbat; 04-24-2012 at 01:39 AM.

  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    999

    Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

    The options available in Cozart, Didi, HRod and in 2 years Hamilton make the Phillips signing more and more puzzling to me. That money really could've been more useful for a big bat for left field it seems.

    It kinda makes me wonder if this is a signing Bob wanted done so it got done. If that's the case it's pretty terrible.

  8. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Athens, Ohio
    Posts
    350

    Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    The options available in Cozart, Didi, HRod and in 2 years Hamilton make the Phillips signing more and more puzzling to me. That money really could've been more useful for a big bat for left field it seems.

    It kinda makes me wonder if this is a signing Bob wanted done so it got done. If that's the case it's pretty terrible.
    Phillips has proven himself at the major league level. If he can't man 2B he will be moved to 3B or LF. Phillips' contract was more for PR than need though.

  9. #38
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,939

    Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rover View Post
    Phillips has proven himself at the major league level. If he can't man 2B he will be moved to 3B or LF. Phillips' contract was more for PR than need though.
    Phillips at 3B or LF is just going to hurt his value.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25