Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

Re: Monday April 23, 2012 Minor League Updates

Pensacola jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the first and it has been nothing but goose eggs ever since. Tim Crabbe 5IP 4H 1ER 2BB 3K.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dayton brought the late lumber by scoring 5 in the bottom of the 7th inning, winning 8-3. Dragons pounded out 13 hits. Perez and Arias had 3 apiece. While Waldrop and Gonzalez each chipped in with 2 hits. Daniel Tuttle pitched six effective innings. Dan Jensen notched the win with two scoreless frames. He has an ERA of 0.00 after 13 innings. In a sports oddity even with an ERA of 0.00 he has lost two games.

Lutz homered in the first for Bakersfield, with Lohman and Yorman aboard. Sharky Rogers will take a 3-0 to the slab.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Lutz homered in the first for Bakersfield, with Lohman and Yorman aboard. Sharky Rogers will take a 3-0 to the slab.
    I'd like to see Lutz move fairly quickly. Wonder if he's legit in LF?

Andrew Means is back. He tripled in his first at-bat of the season and scored on a single by Barnhart. 4-0 Blaze in the second.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I'd like to see Lutz move fairly quickly. Wonder if he's legit in LF?
    Take this for what it is worth and that it is based on one game, but he actually ran out there pretty well and I don't mean for a big guy. I didn't really get to see him take many chances on balls out there, but I would say that his size is of no concern as to his ability to play the position.

Cody Puckett's third single of the night plated two of Pensacola's three runs in the ninth, and the Wahoos lead 9-3 going into the bottom. Drew Hayes straightened himself out with two spotless innings (3 K).

Didi Gregorius: 26 hits, 26 singles, .403 average.

Serrano gives up a ninth-inning HR. Pensacola 10-4, over and out.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Cody Puckett's third single of the night plated two of Pensacola's three runs in the ninth, and the Wahoos lead 9-3 going into the bottom. Drew Hayes straightened himself out with two spotless innings (3 K).
    Puckett had a .444 OBP going into tonight with 15 W's in 48 AB's.

Gregorius also added 2 walks. You have to wish he would flash a little bit of power, but a .403 average is nothing to scoff at. He's looking like a big-time prospect already, with the way he's hit and the raves he's gotten from the organization about his defense. His floor is looking like Janish, with his ceiling Elvis Andrus.

Pensacola seems to be playing much better than their 9-10 record would indicate. Most of the guys are performing very well with the exceptions of Parch and Hayes... Without their blowups, this team could probably be near the top of the division by now.
    Last edited by The DARK; 04-23-2012 at 11:25 PM.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Gregorius also added 2 walks. You have to wish he would flash a little bit of power, but a .403 average is nothing to scoff at. He's looking like a big-time prospect already, with the way he's hit and the raves he's gotten from the organization about his defense. His floor is looking like Janish, with his ceiling Elvis Andrus.
    Where does he play, assuming Cozart stays at SS?

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I can't say Andrus is his ceiling.... Gregorius has more power potential than Andrus has shown to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Where does he play, assuming Cozart stays at SS?
    He plays at SS, or at worst 2B. Anything less would be a waste of talent and risk his prospect status. If either Cozart or Phillips get injured with Gregorius in AAA, call him up and give him a chance to start. If neither does, then trade him or Cozart for value. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy who can be pigeonholed into a different position and still keep his value.

BTW, Elvis Andrus probably isn't the best comp (went with a first glance of current shortstops), given that Gregorius doesn't steal much. Replace the steals with a higher OBP and a little power, and you have a good idea of what I mean.

Doug, who would you give as the best comp?

I am not a big fan of comps. They often are full of misinformation. Some player comps are based on how the guy looks/swings, but they aren't projected for similar results. Other guys are making comps for a statistical base and I am more comfortable with that, but I really don't know who I would compare him too because I could see a fairly wide range of outcomes at this point still.

Turn Off Ads?