Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to talk stocks and retirement?

Re: Anyone want to talk stocks and retirement?

Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    While we're talking stocks and dividends, just want to share my glee to have just found out (they reported 1st quareter results this morning) that TAXI has increased dividends 24% to $0.21 a share for the 1st quarter. yeah me
    Another year (actually I guess it was 3/4 of a year since their last div increase), another quartley dividend increase, this time up to $0.22 a share (4.5% increase)

2. Turn Off Ads?

So what's the deal with Apple?

Dow (broader market I know AAPL is Nasdaq) at all time high
    AAPL P/E at 9.7x
    I believe the company has ~100.00 cash on hand per share

I know increased competition from Samsung and the like, but future earnings projections still seem robust.

Why is the stock so "cheap"?

I'm a big fan of the Seeking Alpha site for financial discussion. Here's an article about Apple from a guy who runs a mock retirement portfolio.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1189...apple-s-growth

He gets very defensive in some of the comments when challenged which isn't good but overall it's an interesting read. Basically he's saying it's no longer a growth stock. But he likes it as an income stock.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Seeking Alpha site for financial discussion. Here's an article about Apple from a guy who runs a mock retirement portfolio.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1189...apple-s-growth

He gets very defensive in some of the comments when challenged which isn't good but overall it's an interesting read. Basically he's saying it's no longer a growth stock. But he likes it as an income stock.
    It's hard to say that at this point. Even Apple doesn't know what it is going to do with that mountain of cash.

Quote Originally Posted by UCBrownsfan View Post
    My position right now is buying ZNGA, and selling the call.

ZNGA right now is at $3.20
    The Jan 15 call, at $5 / share is at $.83

That means an immediate return of 25% on the stock with room for growth in the next 2 years of an extra 56%. With cash on hand of $1.67 / share, unless something goes seriously wrong the floor is $2.50 / share, and the ceiling is $5.83 / share... not a bad position for $3.20.
    It's up to $3.73, and the call is up to about $1.15 - it's been a great gain so far. There's 3 or 4 great strategies with options and ZNGA right now.

Seeking Alpha has an article about Zinga

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1320...with-potential

A stock i really like is Qcom . Its chips are in smart phones and tablets from apple to samsung. 2% plus dividend and a history of raising it. And a stable growth stock with room to run.

Qcom just raised their dividend this month

forfreelin04 posted (in actual results thread)

"I don't want to steal JaxRed's thunder at all since he sounds highly educated in dividend paying investments, but dividends are never guaranteed.

If you have a stock that's in the red, and the only reason you have it is for the dividend yield I would caution you against holding it much longer. If NLY chooses to stop paying dividends, your not going to get your yield and subsequently you'll fade even deeper into the red since they'll be a mass exodus at that point.

There's nothing wrong with dividend stock investments. In fact, I would encourage it to the right investor. However, 95% of the country doesn't truly understand the risk involved. Many times retirees get their investment tips from the golf course instead of someone trained and licensed in the field. Certainly, dividend paying stocks are a nice diversification strategy to a balanced portfolio. The problem is many folks get in way too deep with money their actually planning on using in retirement.

It seems like JAXRED here is using the ROTH for his daughter. I don't know how old she is and if he's planning on using the funds for college for her, but in most scenario's people haven't saved enough for retirement to warrant the holding of individual stock's that pay beyond the norm in dividends."

1. First.... I am EXACTLY like taking advice from the guy at the golf course. (except I no longer play golf). Not certified in any way shape or form. Just a guy sharing advice based on years of life experience. I certainly differ from your advice on Dividends.

2. No.... dividends are not guaranteed. But except for federal bonds almost nothing is. It's a question of risk/reward. My advice (following the lead of the Dividend Growth investment community) is to invest in the stocks that make the list of the Dividend Champions, Challengers and Contenders. In the Champions list these are stocks that have raised Dividends for 25 consecutive years like Coke, McDonald's, Johnson and Johnson, etc. Buy the stocks, reinvest the dividends, don't worry about whether they are up or down. Monitor the income stream they are producing.

3. My daughter is 29. I am trying to get her educated/interested in Dividend Growth Investing for retirement purposes.

I am a proponent of Dividend Growth Investing. Forfreel prefers other investing techniques. Plenty of smart ways to invest. I do want to thank forfreel for posting and hopes he continues because the goal here is to make more people aware.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I like your strategy, JaxRed. What I like most about it is that you work at it, evaluate your performance on a regular basis and are always looking for new additions to improve your portfolio. That discipline pays off, regardless of your investing philosophy. (not that its a bad one).

I'll also confess to having "adopted" one of your ideas: OHI when it was in the low 20's and cashing out in the mid-30s. Thanks millions! (well, thousands, actually...).
    I may be a "pro", but we can all pick up something from well-intentioned and well-informed sources. There is no way even the "pros" can be experts on every aspect of investing and personal finance. If you find one who sounds like he thinks he is, close your ears.

Good Job, JAX. Keep up the hard work.
    Last edited by oneupper; 06-30-2013 at 11:53 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

"I don't want to steal JaxRed's thunder at all since he sounds highly educated in dividend paying investments, but dividends are never guaranteed.

If you have a stock that's in the red, and the only reason you have it is for the dividend yield I would caution you against holding it much longer. If NLY chooses to stop paying dividends, your not going to get your yield and subsequently you'll fade even deeper into the red since they'll be a mass exodus at that point.

There's nothing wrong with dividend stock investments. In fact, I would encourage it to the right investor. However, 95% of the country doesn't truly understand the risk involved. Many times retirees get their investment tips from the golf course instead of someone trained and licensed in the field. Certainly, dividend paying stocks are a nice diversification strategy to a balanced portfolio. The problem is many folks get in way too deep with money their actually planning on using in retirement.

It seems like JAXRED here is using the ROTH for his daughter. I don't know how old she is and if he's planning on using the funds for college for her, but in most scenario's people haven't saved enough for retirement to warrant the holding of individual stock's that pay beyond the norm in dividends."

1. First.... I am EXACTLY like taking advice from the guy at the golf course. (except I no longer play golf). Not certified in any way shape or form. Just a guy sharing advice based on years of life experience. I certainly differ from your advice on Dividends.

2. No.... dividends are not guaranteed. But except for federal bonds almost nothing is. It's a question of risk/reward. My advice (following the lead of the Dividend Growth investment community) is to invest in the stocks that make the list of the Dividend Champions, Challengers and Contenders. In the Champions list these are stocks that have raised Dividends for 25 consecutive years like Coke, McDonald's, Johnson and Johnson, etc. Buy the stocks, reinvest the dividends, don't worry about whether they are up or down. Monitor the income stream they are producing.

3. My daughter is 29. I am trying to get her educated/interested in Dividend Growth Investing for retirement purposes.

I am a proponent of Dividend Growth Investing. Forfreel prefers other investing techniques. Plenty of smart ways to invest. I do want to thank forfreel for posting and hopes he continues because the goal here is to make more people aware.
    Actually I think your strategy is spot on Jax. My point was just that finance is not a one size fits all store. Your research is impeccable and your principles are great.

What's funny is that my post and my thread were shutdown without a PM or a warning. While you continue to give stock tips as an unlicensed person. It's not the Board or the mod who shut it down's fault; I take it as just another lesson that proves how incredibly flawed a persons thoughts are around investing and advisement. The idea of commission based income is hilariously misunderstood.

The fact that threads like mine were shutdown continue to actually help people in my field because most folks won't get the education around investing or life insurance on their own. Some will, but they'll trust their golf buddy before a person trained to give advice.

Finally to whoever actually shutdown my thread and my post from last week.... Thanks for letting me know!

Maybe they thought my advice was so bad they didn't think it constituted advice....

Maybe they thought my advice was so bad they didn't think it constituted advice....
    who knows?

It's solid advice IMO

Anyone have any thoughts on the Noodles & Co IPO?

I have most of my money in Vanguard admiral shares (the S&P 500 tracker) but I have a little set aside to mess around with and I'm thinking of buying some shares in the hope it could be a mini-Chipotle.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I agree and for the most part follow your strategy.

The counter argument against dividend investment follows the mantra that no dividend is safe. If you look back 5 years you can recognize that, some of the best dividend paying stocks, big banks, were annihilated and saw their dividend slashed or eliminated all together. You also have a stock like GE, who was one of the most respected American company, have their dividend slashed for a number of years only to see it being increased again. If your time frame is decades then it will only look like a blimp on the radar. If your time frame is short then it could be devastating.

I have a couple of different thoughts on the Dividend Growth Investing. Buying companies like Coke, McDonalds, and JNJ are good ideas. But if you look at some of the well managed dividend growth EFT's or Funds, you will find some holdings that have either small or no dividend. Getting in on the ground level of a stock that is going to increase their dividend for 25+ years can be very rewarding. Many of the fund managers look to stocks they think will begin a policy of dividend growth.

17. Likes:

forfreelin04 (07-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?