Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Anyone want to talk stocks and retirement?

Re: Anyone want to talk stocks and retirement?

A semi-quick check shows Prosper can take people from Florida but not Ohio.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I wanted to get my adult daughter started on this path, so I have set up an actual Dividend Growth Portfolio for her with a $100 a month contribution. I will make it public and discuss it in another separate thread.

Here's today's Stock Tip. Intel. A dividend growth stock beaten down to where it pays 4%. It hit $22.50 today.

An excellent buying opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Here's today's Stock Tip. Intel. A dividend growth stock beaten down to where it pays 4%. It hit $22.50 today.

An excellent buying opportunity.
    I have debated buying INTC or a number of months now. For some reason I can just never pull the trigger. I just don't understand why INTC is priced where its priced at. Its a dividend grower in an industry that "should" see growth into the future, tech. It makes a product where the barriers of entry are very high and have even taken some market share in Apple products.

Right now it has a 4% yield and a P/E of 9.54 well below the market average. Its acting more as a utility than a tech stock or even a dividend paying stock. I agree that is is very attractive at this price, but I just don't understand why?

Because people think the PC is dead. And most of their money comes from there.

Intel, the world’s largest maker of computer chips, cut its third-quarter revenue projection Sept. 7, citing cautious customers and dwindling demand from emerging markets. Intel said it is “seeing customers reducing inventory in the supply chain versus the normal growth in third-quarter inventory, softness in the enterprise PC market segment and slowing emerging market demand.” Intel shares are down 7% in 2012.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/7-g...=mw_home_kiosk
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

I was going to update this with a link about investing small amounts when getting started

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1096...nt_update_link

But it really doesn't apply within a Roth which is where people should be investing.

Intel by the way has not gone up (yet). It's gone down. It's gone down as low as $19.23. It's back to $21.16. I have picked some up. It's a 4.3% yield at this point.

I still think it is a great long term buy.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    Researched, then purchased this a few days after you posted it. Sold today for ~14.5% gain (~77.5% annualized). ($20.94/$23.97)

I use a few charts to assist me on the timing of buy/sells (not what to buy/sell, just the timing) and I believe they are due for a 10%+ pullback and will be hoping to see them around 22.00 to evaluate for re-entry. I suspect this means I will miss the next dividend payment in August which is not really what I want. Time will tell.

GL

/thanks for the idea
    OHI Update. OHI had a dip to about 21.30 afte the election, but they are back at $24.66 and after a dividend increase in Oct is still paying a sweet 7.1%

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    Wow....tons of info. Medford....here is a little background

35 years old
    Wife and kid..teenager
    I have a pers and a deferred comp program for retirement right now
    The 100 dollars is basically what I have that is not put in savings, it's kind of what I call my monthly waste money....after everything is all said and done each month I usually find an extra $100 in my checking account.....that why I wanted to start with that...that way if I lose it all on stupid moves I won't feel so bad....I could do more but I am not comfortable doing that at this time, maybe when I learn more and feel a little better about investing I might add to that number, just not at this stage in the learning process...

I will however start with talking to my HR people and see if I am taking advantage of all my options at work before I start to invest anywhere else. I agree that is smart. I have no issue talking to them and sounding dumb, trust me.....I have spent 15 years not knowing where my money goes, the only embarrassing part is not doing this sooner.

Keep the advice coming. I studied some online sites about drips last night.

Oh yeah, I did the Dave Ramsey class through my church....great program, lots of common sense stuff that most people don't consider but his program is great.

We have a mortgage and 2 small credit cards that don't even equal 1k....we pride ourselves on little to no debt....we own both vehicles. We have a small savings account that we have for our teenager for college.....it's under 20k and I refuse to touch that unless it's a guaranteed program.

Any other advice is great.....keep em coming, I will watch this thread daily.
    So Spinner........ did you do anything with that $100 'mad money' yet?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

OHI Update. OHI had a dip to about 21.30 afte the election, but they are back at $24.66 and after a dividend increase in Oct is still paying a sweet 7.1%
    I got back in around $22, so I am pretty happy about that one. Probably to much risk (of it running away from me) for the small reward. I don't think I'll try that again.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I got back in around $22, so I am pretty happy about that one. Probably to much risk (of it running away from me) for the small reward. I don't think I'll try that again.

GL
    Well played, Mauer.....

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

OHI announced another increase today, from $.44 to $.45.

CLMT also increased recently from $.62 to $.65 and BGS from $.27 to $.29

Received a good number of special dividends in Dec. SCCO paid a $2.70/shr special dividend.

Bought CBRL, WU, CA, and added to CLMT recently.

Looking seriously at AFL, NSC, WPZ among others.

GL

OK, for OHI. $20 additional income a year. We own some CLMT also.

We sold our CLMT to avoid the K-1 thing from here on out. Simple is better. OHI has done well. Besides raising the dividend, they had a nice earnings report and is up to $27.75

One of my favorite stocks.

Still hoping Lidspinner will take the plunge
    Last edited by JaxRed; 02-17-2013 at 01:08 PM.

My position right now is buying ZNGA, and selling the call.

ZNGA right now is at $3.20
    The Jan 15 call, at $5 / share is at $.83

That means an immediate return of 25% on the stock with room for growth in the next 2 years of an extra 56%. With cash on hand of $1.67 / share, unless something goes seriously wrong the floor is $2.50 / share, and the ceiling is $5.83 / share... not a bad position for $3.20.

Turn Off Ads?