Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minor League Numbers-- Downright Offensive

Minor League Numbers-- Downright Offensive

AAA
    Paul Janish SS .344 .417 .578 .995
    You've got to like how well Janish is hitting in Louisville. He's old (29), but perhaps someone will look at those numbers and see a potential starting SS. I think he burnt his Cincinnati PT bridge last season. Maybe a backup spot in his future?

Dioner Navarro C .324 .366 .471 .836
    This is one that looks like a possible steal. Navarro is hitting well (admittedly, in a small sample size) and catchers are hard to come by, Perhaps a deal of Hanigan or Navarro to shore up the pen?

AA
    DiDi Gregorius SS .403 .461 .403 .864
    Has reworked his swing and AA is proving easy pickings. Still young (only 22). Could be a fast mover or trade bait, as neither Phillips nor Cozart are likely to go anywhere for at least a couple of years.

Cody Puckett OF .302 .456 .396 .852
    If he were still playing 2B, this would be cause for celebration. As he's moved to LF, it's the expectation. 15 BBs is nice to see. 15 Ks is not. Still, a 1:1 ratio is a good thing. He's 25, so he needs to do something. Since Louisville's entire OF is struggling big time, perhaps he might make the move?

Josh Felhauer OF .355 .429 .387 .816
    After a meh 2011, Felhauer is hitting much better in the early going of 2012. He's a RF who plays solid D and has a solid arm, but seeing the lack of power is troubling. Way too early to get much out of him, though, as he started the season hurting.

High A
    Billy Hamilton SS .353 .450 .574 1.024
    Best thing to happen in Red pipeline is Hamilton's emergence as a for-real difference-maker offensively. Questions about his power might still be there, but, as he continues to take a BB (11:15 BB:K ratio) and hit (one HR, six doubles, and triple a sign of better contact and pop as he learns his swing), good things happen. Still only 21, so he's at the right stage of development.

David Vidal 3B .300 .364 .583 .947
    Continues to get overlooked. Once again showing good power potential, defense, and hit tool. Ks too much, but young enough to improve. Definitely looking like a Top Ten prospect at this point.

Donald Lutz OF .299 .368 .567 .936
    Much like Vidal, with better batting practice power (at least last season) and patience, but just as many Ks. The OF experiment looks off to a great start. Showing better than average speed at this point, but may develop out of that. Old, but inexperienced, Lutz might be a late-career slugger for five to ten years. Fun to root for.

Devin Lohman MI .306 .419 .419 .838
    Props to the young man, he turned himself back into a prospect. After a horrid showing last season in Dayton, Lohman is producing in Bakersfield as a 2B. Good glove, showing good patience, but no power. That's troubling in the California League. Another High A kid showing great patience. (Hitting coaches earning their keep in the lower levels, it seems.)

Low A
    Yovan Gonzalez C .394 .444 .606 1.051
    Career backup having small sample size career year. Where have you gone, Kevin Coddington?

Kyle Waldrop OF .327 .460 .510 .971
    20-year-old Dayton slugger brings back memories of Jay Bruce. Ehh, maybe not. Still, a great sign of possible power (doubles and triples, no HR) and a great K: BB ratio (7:10) indicate, in his small sample, that Waldrop gets the strike zone and may blossom suddenly.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Minor League Numbers-- Downright Offensive

Thanks for this. Good to see so many players off to hot starts.

For me, Gregorius, Hamilton, Vidal, Lutz, and Waldrop (my pick to click this year) are the 5 names to really watch out of the ones you mentioned. The others are nice to see, but unlikely to be impact players in the big leagues.

Lutz, Waldrop and Yorman Rodriguez (if he bounces back this year) are the top three guys currently in the system who could eventually ascend to the starting LF spot in Cincy in a few years. Would love it if we could add a top prospect in the draft (or a high profile international signing) this year to join the competition.
    Go BLUE!!!

I'd argue the top Red everyday prospects are:
    1. Billy Hamilton
    It's not close, at this point. He's, simply put, a difference-maker in the lineup. Everything is trending the right way offensively-- power up, patience up, Ks down. That he's doing it in the California League is a grain of salt; that he's done it largely in the less offensive parks means that grain of salt is tiny.

2. DiDi Gregorius
    Another premium position guy. He'll have to hit with power before I get really excited. Love the hit tool, though, and the patience.

3 (t). Neftali Soto
    Young and I'm a sucker for power. Struggling now and the Ks are a major concern. He'll get it going as the weather heats up in Louisville.

3 (t). David Vidal
    Extremely underrated. Hit tool, patience, and youth. Plus, he plays a premium position. Likely a 300/20/80 guy with an 800+ OPS as an above average 3B. With the ceiling to add more.

3 (t). Henry Rodriguez
    See Vidal, David. Subtract a little power. Add a lot of speed. I see a Tony Fernandez clone at 3B with a 320 BA very possible. Learning to take walks and young for AA. Could really blossom into an All-Star level player, or he could level out as a Felipe Lopez type.

6. Donald Lutz
    Yeah, he's old for his level, but his power is impressive and he's got that same 300 stroke that Rodriguez and Vidal have. He's playing surprisingly well as a LF and showing off decent speed. Ks a concern at this point, but the advancement metric really doesn't work with him, as he's such a late comer to the game. Love his upside.

7. Kyle Waldrop
    20 and hitting really well right now. Hit well at the beginning of the season last year in Billings, too. Then, he got tired. I suspect that may happen again, as his K rate is high. He's also not yet really gotten on track as to HR power. Still, a ways off in Dayton. Could be the fastest riser of this group, and, with a good half-season, might move all the way up to number two.

Behind them, I've got a scrum of Wright, Buckley, Yorman Rodriguez, Jose Perez, and Ryan LaMarre. What's interesting about this group is that it's so dynamic. The order could change tomorrow. And none of them are poor prospect; it's just that only one of them (so far) is a very good prospect. Makes for interesting discussion and a solid pipeline of helpful talent that tends to surprise more than disappoint.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

All I can say is that I'm glad we have 2B locked up for the next 5 years. We don't have even of a whiff of middle infield talent...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

You guys are overlooking the real sleeper in the Reds minor league system:

Brodie Greene .292/.358/.444/.802
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    All I can say is that I'm glad we have 2B locked up for the next 5 years. We don't have even of a whiff of middle infield talent...
    Ugh, I agree. Hopefully a couple of these guys turn into an impact player that helps us win a world series this year.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Turn Off Ads?