Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mat Latos article on Fangraphs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mat Latos article on Fangraphs

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...e-and-command/

Why three straight fastballs? I’m not sure, but what’s also pretty clear is that Latos has altered his repertoire since coming over to Cincinnati. In his brief career, he has typically used his slider about 27% of the time. It has historically been his best pitch at just over a run above average per 100 pitches in both 2010 and 2011 and generating a whiff rate at about 24%. But he’s dropped his usage of the slider by about 10% in 2012, with increased reliance on his change:
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Re: Mat Latos article on Fangraphs

There may be a lot of truth to what Barr is saying, but I think it's premature to say it's "pretty clear" he's altered his repertoire based on throwing 10% fewer sliders. I don't see that being clear since Latos has only thrown 292 total pitches thus far this season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

His average fastball speed has also decreased from the past couple of years as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    His average fastball speed has also decreased from the past couple of years as well.
    He's averaging 93 MPH this year. He's averaged 93.4 MPH for his career. So, no, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    He's averaging 93 MPH this year. He's averaged 93.4 MPH for his career. So, no, not really.
    Every single year, his velocity has been down from the year before. It may have averaged 93.4 in his career but that is down from previous years when he was averaging a faster fast ball. I think last year or the year before last, for example, he averaged 94 mph on his fast ball. 93 MPH is still good but I think there are some warning signs there. He simply does not have the electric fast ball as he had earlier in his career.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 04-25-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Every single year, his velocity has been down from the year before. It may have averaged 93.4 in his career but that is down from previous years when he was averaging a faster fast ball. I think last year or the year before last, for example, he averaged 94 mph on his fast ball. 93 MPH is still good but I think there are some warning signs there. He simply does not have the electric fast ball as he had earlier in his career.
    He only pitched 50 innings his first season. So the drop in velocity from year one to year two may have been a sample issue or it may have been as simple as pitching an entire year's workload. The second year could be any number of things. But losing 1 MPH in a year isn't really that big of a red flag. Some pitchers intentionally use a different grip which alone explains the velocity.

You're really, really grasping at straws.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

You're reaching. The fastest his fastball has ever been over a full season is 93.7 MPH. The lowest it has ever been over a full season is 92.8 MPH. Less than a 1 MPH variance.

You want to see pitchers with velocity drops, see Jimenez, Santana, and (gradually) Lincecum. There is basically zero correlation to Latos' fastball speed.

I think it's obvious that he done good tonight, regardless. Spoken in true West Virginian among the common people .
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I think it's obvious that he done good tonight, regardless. Spoken in true West Virginian among the common people .
    Me thinks Latos is going to be juuuust fine.

This is actually one of my biggest pet peeves with fangraphs. It's a great sight because it's saber-oriented and provides a wealth of statistical information easily at the fingertips but in an effort to provide daily content so many of the articles suffer from relying upon inappropriately small sample sizes.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

My one question about the averaging of fastball velocity is that they have to be taken with different guns in different parks, so I would think that in itself would effect the velocity stats.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    My one question about the averaging of fastball velocity is that they have to be taken with different guns in different parks, so I would think that in itself would effect the velocity stats.
    The pitch f/x system does not use a radar gun for velocity.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

what in the world can an image like that teach ANYBODY about a pitcher?

I know that more info is usually better, but that much info just becomes noise.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    what in the world can an image like that teach ANYBODY about a pitcher?

I know that more info is usually better, but that much info just becomes noise.
    That one, next to nothing other than don't expect a fastball down and in if you are a lefty or down and away if you are a righty.

I checked out fangraphs page for this info and before posting a new thread found this one. So yeah, what's up with less sliders eh? Same thing happened with Cordero after he got here and before long his 10k/9 was like 6k/9. Are they just protecting his high priced arm? Does it have to do with GABP? Price's general philosophy? His slider was crucial to his dominance, it would appear. His contact rates have gone up, walk rate up, k rate down. For all intents and purposes he's Homer Bailey, not Mat Latos.

Turn Off Ads?