Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know some are against Hannigan but....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I know some are against Hannigan but....

There are alot on here that say Hannigan should catch maybe 1 out of 5 games. I found this to be quite interesting.

*Reds pitchers have a 2.80 ERA when Ryan Hanigan catches. The team is also 7-3 when he is behind the plate.

This is the year

Re: I know some are against Hannigan but....

I love me some hanigan. <<<

Hanigan is easily the better catcher at this point. Mes is going to be good, if not great, but he's still young.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

You did not hear me saying anything like that ---

Hannigan has done a very good job IMO

I silently thought Mes should start the season in AAA only to give him some more time to work on the catching part of his job.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Old Righthander View Post
    You did not hear me saying anything like that ---

Hannigan has done a very good job IMO

I silently thought Mes should start the season in AAA only to give him some more time to work on the catching part of his job.
    Waste of time for Mes in AAA. He is getting plenty of playing time and will in the future. Give him a head up heading into next year when he likely becomes the fulltime starter(and may yet this year).

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Waste of time for Mes in AAA. He is getting plenty of playing time and will in the future. Give him a head up heading into next year when he likely becomes the fulltime starter(and may yet this year).
    Your are certainly open to have that opinion but I think the record says the Reds are 1 - 6 with him.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Hoss View Post
    *Reds pitchers have a 2.80 ERA when Ryan Hanigan catches. The team is also 7-3 when he is behind the plate.
    It's hard to ignore numbers like that. Wasn't last night the first time this season Hanigan has caught Latos? Maybe it was just a coincidence but, again, numbers like that are hard to ignore. Has Hanigan been behind the plate for all of our getaway games so far (in which we're 5-0)? I'm all for Mes getting playing time, because he's our catcher of the future. But not at the expense of W's.

Hanigan should be catching 50% of the games, and next year Mes can take over 75% of them.

Both catchers look to the dugout almost every pitch, looks like someone in the dugout is calling the game.

Hanigan is the better catcher (total body of work) yes someone is calling the game from the dugout. Also, if I am not mistaken isn't Hanigan one of (if not the) hardest to strike out in baseball???
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

On the radio yesterday Marty commented that Hanigan will roughly start every 3 out of 5 games. Cueto, Latos, and Arroyo should get the majority of Hanigans starts. At least he better be behind the dish on Latos' next start.

I was in the camp that Mes should get 3-4 of the starts every five days but Hannigan has definitely proven me wrong. Cueto, Latos, and Arroyo should go to Hannigan and then Bailey and Leake to Mes. Mes is always going to hit better but Hannigan is just an unbelievable game caller.

The reality from a catching and receiving standpoint is that Hanigan has long been a very underrated player behind the dish. In 2009, he lead baseball in runs saves and in catching people stealing, even edging Yadi out. He's pretty consistently in the top tier of those metrics from year to year.

Even in last year's scuffles, Reds pitchers posted a 4.16 ERA on the year but 3.97 when Hanigan caught. The team was 79-83 overall, but 38-35 in his 73 starts. Hernandez (and now Mesaroco) have a lot of value based on their offensive numbers. I never thought Hernandez was a particularly extraordinary talent at handling pitchers, though, as much as I liked him.

Ryan is and has been the best guy on our active team at if for a few years. Couldn't be happier to have him extended affordably until Mes continues to grow some. I hope he picks up a lot from how Ryan handles himself, both at-bat, behind the dish, and with the fans.

Nerdvana Annihilation

I agree, It seems the game goes much smoother with Hannigan behind the plate.

So long as Dusty, Mes, and Hanigan are on the Reds, there will be a two catcher system, regardless of what year we're talking about.

And as much as I've been on RZ, I have heard very little of the supposed anti-Hanigan sentiment. Most fans I've heard appreciate his effort, defense, game management, on base percentage, and low strikeout rate.

Hanigan's Homies is always accepting new members.

Turn Off Ads?