Turn Off Ads?

Thread: OK, 9-9 isn't a great start, but ...

OK, 9-9 isn't a great start, but ...

You have to consider who we've faced thus far. We've already had two series against the Cards, who started out hot, then we've also had a series against the Nats, whose starting pitching has been as good as it gets. Now we've played two games against the Giants, with two of the hottest pitchers in the league starting for them in those two games. You can say our hitters have struggled, but for me it's more about who we've played. To be 9-9 at this point isn't as bad as it seems. To have won 5 of the last 6, is huge. I was hoping for a 6-3 homestand, at best, but now I think we could easily see 7-2 or better.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: OK, 9-9 isn't a great start, but ...

I agree 100%, I think a lot of folks didn't realize just how good the Nationals are this year. I remember all the talking heads on Baseball Tonight, when asked if they thought the Nationals had a legit chance at the playoffs this year, they said "no, not until next year" - I disagree. I think they stand a very SOLID shot at getting into the playoffs this year. Their pitching is SOLID. So basically, I think that Nats series took a lot of folks a bit by surprise. I think some folks expected us to go to the capital and easily take 2 of the 3.

And like you said, we've played the Cards TWICE already. The only team w/a better record than STL is LA. Can the Cards STAY this hot all year? Man, after last year I NEVER say NEVER when it comes to those cockroaches. You think there is no chance in hell they sniff the playoffs and what do they do? Just win the World Series, that's all.

Lets see how we do this weekend against the Astros of the world. Because you're right, we have had a TOUGH schedule. And against a pretty darn good Giants team, we have blown 'em out once, shown some resilience and came back and beat 'em....and we'll find out soon enough if we can pull off the sweep. I hope so, I would love to start building up an "above .500" record.

If we can keep our starting pitching rolling along, I think we're going to be just fine - I think we have one of the stronger bullpens. Simon can be either/or and Hoover is too new to know, but Ondrusek has been pretty darn good, Jose has been DAMN good, Chapman has been plain nasty and Marshall, well, if he is given the chance, he is going to have a LOT of saves. And hopefully Masset comes back strong as well (when IS his return projected?)....

I think we're better than the Brewers this year and the Cards are going to be our main battle all yr. long. I don't think they're going to suddenly dry up and go away like some people have been saying (since early to mid last yr. - "they're too old to keep this up", "they won't keep it up" - yeah right...check out those rings they got the 2nd day of the season and tell me they "can't keep this up" and tell me about how they're "too old").

But yeah, lets see what happens when we play the "bad" teams a la the Astros & Padres. Then lets see what happens against the middle-of-the-road teams a la the Mets and the Braves. I would consider the Giants, right now at least, to be a "middle-of-the-road" team & we have already won the series against them (AT home anyways - we'll see what happens when we go out on our annually dreaded west coast rd. trip).

Unless the Brewers end up surprising me, I think even if we end up underachieving, we will still end up with STL as our main dog-fight due to the weakness of the Central division.

One thing I DO know FOR SURE....this season got a hell of a lot more fun here in the last week or so

Yeah, I'm def looking forward to some series with the Padres, Pirates, Cubs and Astros. Take em how you can get them, every win counts.

[redacted]

I've seen this line of thinking used before to defend a record, and honestly I don't really care for it. Saying, "hey we're 9-9 because we've played good St. Louis, Washington, and San Fran teams!" is essentially the same as saying, "we aren't as good as St. Louis, Washington, and San Fran." If we need to rely on beating up terrible teams, then we aren't in a good position to make a deep playoff run (see: 2010). It's still incredibly early and records don't mean much yet, but I'd feel a lot better if we were 14-5 and the other teams were justifying their losses by saying, "well, hey... we just played a series against that really good Cincinnati team..."

anyone who panics 2 weeks into a baseball season is a moron

It's not bad, really. Good teams have bad stretches (Angels so far), while bad teams have good stretches (Houston so far). Small sample sizes are almost always misleading, and the beginning of the season in particular is volatile and full of red herrings. That we're at .500 is pedestrian, but there are many worse places to be, and there are a bunch of encouraging signs (Lots of players stepping up out of the bullpen, decent rotation performance, awakening of the bats this series). Go Reds!

throws 106. NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by webbbj View Post
    anyone who panics 2 weeks into a baseball season is a moron
    x∞

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    I've seen this line of thinking used before to defend a record, and honestly I don't really care for it. Saying, "hey we're 9-9 because we've played good St. Louis, Washington, and San Fran teams!" is essentially the same as saying, "we aren't as good as St. Louis, Washington, and San Fran." If we need to rely on beating up terrible teams, then we aren't in a good position to make a deep playoff run (see: 2010). It's still incredibly early and records don't mean much yet, but I'd feel a lot better if we were 14-5 and the other teams were justifying their losses by saying, "well, hey... we just played a series against that really good Cincinnati team..."
    If the Reds can go .500 against the top teams and beat up on the lower level teams then the reds will be into the playoffs and then anything can happen. I don't care how the Reds get there as long as they get there.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mound_patrol View Post
    If the Reds can go .500 against the top teams and beat up on the lower level teams then the reds will be into the playoffs and then anything can happen. I don't care how the Reds get there as long as they get there.
    Well said, after going sooo long without sniffing the playoffs people were complaining becasue we weren't any good. Now people want to complain because we don't go on a deep playoff run. Listen, I want to win the World Series, but gettin beat in the 1st round is waaaaay better than not makin it to the dance.

So far a lot of promise has been shown by this team. Stubbs has shortened up and is hitting singles, our pitchers have worked on their pickoff moves and are generally holding runners well. Our new guys look the part (esp. Latos and MARSHALL), Aroldis has made strides. Recent games against the Giants have shown that our hitters might actually be able to adjust their approach at the plate and make opposing pitchers work. We're 9-9 despite playing some very good team and having an uncharacteristicly BAD team batting slump.

All in all not too bad. I'm optimistic, even WITH Crusty at the helm.

Hey guys, like I said, I wasn't saying it was a good start and I wasn't making excuses for the team. I was just pointing out the fact we haven't exactly started out the season playing cupcakes or facing weak pitching. Apparently we totally gave one away today (glad I was at work and missed it), but we're still on a bit of a roll. Just keep winning series, as we have the last two, and we'll be ok. The bats are warming up and the pitching is quality enough, so we should be fine. Not at all sold on Marshall as the closer though, even before today.
    "I talked to an advance scout that told me if Joey Votto and Albert Pujols were on the same team he'd advise his team to do the unthinkable...pitch around Votto to get to Pujols." - Buster Olney, ESPN

Turn Off Ads?