Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 4/26

Birthdays: 4/26

Having a little medical procedure (not serious) Thursday morning, so I thought I'd get this done before I went to bed:

Reds:

Arturo DeFreitas (59) -First baseman who came up through the Reds system, got brief cups of coffee in '78 and '79 without distinguishing himself, then decamped to the Mexican League, where he had a long career as player and coach.

Others:

Kosuke Fukudome (35) -Played in the 1996 Atlanta Olympics at age 19. At the time he was the youngest player ever to play Olympic baseball.

Mike Scott (57) -He of the practically unhittable splitter- if that's what it was; many still believe he was scuffing the ball. Anyway, whatever it was, it worked...

Amos Otis (65) -Fine all-around player. In 1971 he became the first player in 44 years to steal five bases in a game.

Granny Hamner -Shortstop for the 1950 "Whiz Kids" Phillies team. Later a manager in the Kansas City A's chain. When the team he managed ran short on pitching he took the mound as a knuckleballer and had some success. Ever alert to the possibility of getting some publicity, A's owner Charlie Finley recalled Granny to the majors as a pitcher, but it didn't work out, which was fine with Granny- he never really wanted to be a pitcher.

Hack Wilson- I had read before about his strange physique, but until I researched today's birthdays I didn't know that his build may have been the result of fetal alcohol syndrome. Hack had a pretty sad life; died broke and his son refused to even claim his body.

Jack Barry -The shortstop on Connie Mack's famous "$100,000 infield". Later the baseball coach at Holy Cross for over 40 years.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 4/26

Hope everything turns out OK for you.

When I was a young guy I would order the Reds annual yearbook. Every year Arturo DeFreitas was listed and pictured in the yearbook without ever coming up to the Reds. As you noted he did finally get a couple of cups of coffee with the Reds. Today someone similar is Danny Dorn. Been in the Reds system seemingly forever but never given a shot at the big league level.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Amos Otis (65) -Fine all-around player. In 1971 he became the first player in 44 years to steal five bases in a game.
    Ed Farmer and Amos Otis. Always comes to mind when I hear either name. 1980 was the year. Earlier that season or the season before Farmer hit Otis with a pitch and I believe he may have broken Otis' jaw with the pitch. Months later when Otis faced Farmer he hit a routine grounder to SS. Halfway to 1st base Otis made a detour to the mound to punch Farmer in revenge. Not your typical charge the mound scenerio. Otis waited for his chance and obviously planned it. So unique I have never forgotten it.

Ed Farmer and Amos Otis. Always comes to mind when I hear either name. 1980 was the year. Earlier that season or the season before Farmer hit Otis with a pitch and I believe he may have broken Otis' jaw with the pitch. Months later when Otis faced Farmer he hit a routine grounder to SS. Halfway to 1st base Otis made a detour to the mound to punch Farmer in revenge. Not your typical charge the mound scenerio. Otis waited for his chance and obviously planned it. So unique I have never forgotten it
    I've heard of guys getting hit by a pitch, then bunting down the first base line so the pitcher would have to cover and he could streamroll him. Can't remember ever seeing it happen, though...

The medical procedure was just a colonoscopy, which (ascending my soapbox) all of you over 50 should think seriously about having. I have a family history of colon cancer, and while the prep for a colonoscopy is nasty, now I don't have to worry about the big "C" down there for five more years.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

In the early 1990s Otis admitted that he had used a corked bat in part of his MLB career.

Turn Off Ads?