Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Why no chapman today?

  1. #1
    This is the year
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    fairfield
    Posts
    237

    Why no chapman today?

    Just curious considering he hadnt pitched but one time since when..saturday or sunday.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    56

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Cuz Marshall is the closer so he's the only pitcher you can expect to see on a nearly everyday basis, Chapman always gets at least 1 day off.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    ppl need to realize other ppl have to pitch.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    4,666

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Reds have said I think that they won't use Chapman back to back and with Logan pitching strong today there was no reason.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    96

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Because Logan pitched well and Marshall is the closer.

  7. #6
    Have Faith In Dusty DGullett35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    O-H-I-O
    Posts
    712

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Quote Originally Posted by GoReds19 View Post
    Because Logan pitched well and Marshall is the closer.
    Exactly^..Chapman wasn't needed since Logan pitched a very good 1.2 Marshall will be fine. Blown saves are apart of the season. Not every closer can have a 2011 Valverde season. At least this one was in April and not September with us fighting for a playoff spot. However I wouldn't be opposed to have Chapman and Marshall share closer duties but that will never happen because teams need to announce only one closer to reduce the fan and media confusion and complaining.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Bridgetown
    Posts
    1,514

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Exactly^..Chapman wasn't needed since Logan pitched a very good 1.2 Marshall will be fine. Blown saves are apart of the season. Not every closer can have a 2011 Valverde season. At least this one was in April and not September with us fighting for a playoff spot. However I wouldn't be opposed to have Chapman and Marshall share closer duties but that will never happen because teams need to announce only one closer to reduce the fan and media confusion and complaining.
    its kinda crazy how valverde lucked his way thru a perfect season

  9. #8
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Brad Lidge had a perfect season, including post-season, back in 2008 I am pretty sure.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  10. #9
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Doug Jones had success as a closer throwing in the 60's and 70's. MPH not decades.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  11. #10
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,822

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Looks like Cordero might be the new Toronto closer. Two saves in the past 5 days.

    His first save was typical Coco:

    ground out
    walk
    double
    single
    double play
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

  12. #11
    This is the year
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    fairfield
    Posts
    237

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Well im of the opinion that The chapman marshall combo is Best. Going from a 98mph heater to a 75mph looping curveball is pretty tough.

    This could be the first we see of our MADSON injury really biting us in the ass.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    733

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    Well im of the opinion that The chapman marshall combo is Best. Going from a 98mph heater to a 75mph looping curveball is pretty tough.

    This could be the first we see of our MADSON injury really biting us in the ass.
    If you're pitching them back to back, how likely is it that the two will face the same hitters? If so, it means one of them is getting rocked, so it becomes pretty moot at that point.
    Sto Pro Veritate

  14. #13
    This is the year
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    fairfield
    Posts
    237

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    If you're pitching them back to back, how likely is it that the two will face the same hitters? If so, it means one of them is getting rocked, so it becomes pretty moot at that point.

    true. ^ i guess its slightly a mental thing for the whole team in general.


    After watching marshall last night im just not sure of him in the closer spot. I dont think he throws hard enough.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Minster Ohio
    Posts
    118

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    true. ^ i guess its slightly a mental thing for the whole team in general.


    After watching marshall last night im just not sure of him in the closer spot. I dont think he throws hard enough.
    Im not sure its a matter of throwing hard enough. You want a guy who can throw strikes. Marshall has proved for several years he can throw strikes and get people out. Thats what you want. Chapman has proved for 2 months that he can throw strikes. Might not be enough to put him in that pressure role.

    That being said I would rather see a guy throw a 98 mph fast ball in the 9th then a 78 MPH curve ball backed by a mid 80's fastball.
    2012 is Going To Be a Great Year!!

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,013

    Re: Why no chapman today?

    I hate having one main guy as the closer, hated it since I was a kid and still can't understand why you want your best guy pitching the bottom of the 9th if its the 7-8-9 hitter when in the 8th you needed him for the top of opposing teams lineup. Just makes no sense.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25