Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why no chapman today?

This is the year

Why no chapman today?

Just curious considering he hadnt pitched but one time since when..saturday or sunday.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Why no chapman today?

Cuz Marshall is the closer so he's the only pitcher you can expect to see on a nearly everyday basis, Chapman always gets at least 1 day off.

ppl need to realize other ppl have to pitch.

Reds have said I think that they won't use Chapman back to back and with Logan pitching strong today there was no reason.

Because Logan pitched well and Marshall is the closer.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds19 View Post
    Because Logan pitched well and Marshall is the closer.
    Exactly^..Chapman wasn't needed since Logan pitched a very good 1.2 Marshall will be fine. Blown saves are apart of the season. Not every closer can have a 2011 Valverde season. At least this one was in April and not September with us fighting for a playoff spot. However I wouldn't be opposed to have Chapman and Marshall share closer duties but that will never happen because teams need to announce only one closer to reduce the fan and media confusion and complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Exactly^..Chapman wasn't needed since Logan pitched a very good 1.2 Marshall will be fine. Blown saves are apart of the season. Not every closer can have a 2011 Valverde season. At least this one was in April and not September with us fighting for a playoff spot. However I wouldn't be opposed to have Chapman and Marshall share closer duties but that will never happen because teams need to announce only one closer to reduce the fan and media confusion and complaining.
    its kinda crazy how valverde lucked his way thru a perfect season

Brad Lidge had a perfect season, including post-season, back in 2008 I am pretty sure.

Doug Jones had success as a closer throwing in the 60's and 70's. MPH not decades.

Looks like Cordero might be the new Toronto closer. Two saves in the past 5 days.

His first save was typical Coco:

ground out
    walk
    double
    single
    double play

This is the year

Well im of the opinion that The chapman marshall combo is Best. Going from a 98mph heater to a 75mph looping curveball is pretty tough.

This could be the first we see of our MADSON injury really biting us in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    Well im of the opinion that The chapman marshall combo is Best. Going from a 98mph heater to a 75mph looping curveball is pretty tough.

This could be the first we see of our MADSON injury really biting us in the ass.
    If you're pitching them back to back, how likely is it that the two will face the same hitters? If so, it means one of them is getting rocked, so it becomes pretty moot at that point.
    Sto Pro Veritate

This is the year

Quote Originally Posted by Girevik View Post
    If you're pitching them back to back, how likely is it that the two will face the same hitters? If so, it means one of them is getting rocked, so it becomes pretty moot at that point.

true. ^ i guess its slightly a mental thing for the whole team in general.

After watching marshall last night im just not sure of him in the closer spot. I dont think he throws hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bmwreds31 View Post
    true. ^ i guess its slightly a mental thing for the whole team in general.

After watching marshall last night im just not sure of him in the closer spot. I dont think he throws hard enough.
    Im not sure its a matter of throwing hard enough. You want a guy who can throw strikes. Marshall has proved for several years he can throw strikes and get people out. Thats what you want. Chapman has proved for 2 months that he can throw strikes. Might not be enough to put him in that pressure role.

That being said I would rather see a guy throw a 98 mph fast ball in the 9th then a 78 MPH curve ball backed by a mid 80's fastball.

I hate having one main guy as the closer, hated it since I was a kid and still can't understand why you want your best guy pitching the bottom of the 9th if its the 7-8-9 hitter when in the 8th you needed him for the top of opposing teams lineup. Just makes no sense.

Turn Off Ads?