Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationals recall Bryce Harper

Re: Nationals recall Bryce Harper

Just one example of Harper's behavior.

In the minors, before every AB, he would lay the bat directly on home plate, grab a handful of dirt, run it between his hands, then pick up the bat and start the AB.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I have never done most of the things the Harper has done that has given him a bad reputation, nor would I ever do them. Neither have most major leaguers.
    Like what?

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Just one example of Harper's behavior.

In the minors, before every AB, he would lay the bat directly on home plate, grab a handful of dirt, run it between his hands, then pick up the bat and start the AB.
    Just went back and watched his game on April 25th. He didn't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    True ... and I'm sure Harper doesn't have a problem with the reaction from Dodger fans. He seems like the kind of kid that feeds off the hate. And if it does bother him, too bad. Want to be loved by everyone? Don't act like a jerk. Course, he might not care in the least about being loved by everyone.
    Sure, I am still trying to figure out when he has been a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, I am still trying to figure out when he has been a jerk.
    You can research like none other on here Doug.

Yet you feign ignorance of Bryce Harper's jerk-store-ness?

If I offended you let me blow a kiss your way.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Nice Seinfeld reference. Well played.

"Hey Bryce, the jerk-store called ... and they're running out of you!"

Just went back and watched his game on April 25th. He didn't do that.
    He might have stopped this year, but he did do it regularly before.

Harper also once drew a line in the batters box to show the umpire where he thought a called strike was.

Harper does seem to me to be a jerk. A very talented one, but a jerk nonetheless. Hopefully he learns the art of humbleness as time goes on.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Like what?
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...n-class-a-game

Last season's No. 1 overall pick by the Washington Nationals was at the center of a benches-clearing incident in a Class A game Wednesday. Harper and the opposing pitcher exchanged words after Harper took a called third strike. No punches were thrown and nobody was ejected.

Harper hit a home run prior to the strikeout, giving him four homers and 15 RBIs this season.

But it never was production that worried people about Harper. It was his attitude. He showed tendencies to yell at opposing players, teammates and umpires, and he was ejected from a game in the Junior College World Series in June after drawing a line in the dirt in the batter's box to show an umpire that a called strike was outside. It was his second ejection of the season and earned him a two-game suspension.

There was this from Baseball Prospectus before Harper was drafted: "It's impossible to find any talent evaluator who isn't blown away by Harper's ability on the field, but it's equally difficult to find one who doesn't genuinely dislike the kid.

"One scout called him among the worst amateur players he's ever seen from a makeup standpoint, with top-of-the-scale arrogance, a disturbingly large sense of entitlement, and on-field behavior that includes taunting opponents."

"He's just a bad, bad guy," one front-office official told Baseball Prospectus. "He's basically the anti-Joe Mauer."
    Not exactly a secret that the guy is a jerk.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post

Oh, I know some of the things. I also know that they were done by a kid who was the age of a high schooler. Darn near everyone has a story or five about something they did in high school that never got outside of a small group of people because they did it in high school and no one ever paid attention to it outside of that small town/school/rival school.

Again, we would all look like jerks if we had cameras on us at age 17-19. All of us. But most of us aren't, we were just teenagers who had swings of emotion and immaturity, because we were teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    http://aol.sportingnews.com/mlb/stor...n-class-a-game

Not exactly a secret that the guy is a jerk.
    So if he was a football player he would be called firey? Got it.

Arguing with an umpire? Heavens forbid you tell an umpire that they were wrong. No player has EVER done that before.

So if he was a football player he would be called firey? Got it.
    There's a difference, and you know it. Being "fiery" is someone who gets amped up before/during a game (regardless of sport) and is very emotional. Bryce Harper IS fiery, but he's also a jerk.

Jonny Gomes = Fiery and intense, but FAR from a jerk
    Bryce Harper = Fiery and intense, but a BIG jerk

Again, we would all look like jerks if we had cameras on us at age 17-19. All of us. But most of us aren't, we were just teenagers who had swings of emotion and immaturity, because we were teenagers.
    I don't know, I think I was a pretty decent guy a few years ago. Then again, I was also godawful at baseball and I knew it.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I don't know, I think I was a pretty decent guy a few years ago. Then again, I was also godawful at baseball and I knew it.
    That is kind of my point though, despite being a pretty decent guy, don't you think you had a few incidents throughout the time you were 15-18 that made you seem like a jerk?

Turn Off Ads?