Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Nationals recall Bryce Harper

Re: Nationals recall Bryce Harper

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ View Post
    Did you guys see the double he hit right over the short stops head?

Stupid risky or smart risky? Down by 2 with 4 outs to go.

I liked it. I feel like he took advantage of Juan Pierre's lack of hustle and weak arm.
    That only happens to Juan Pierre. The broadcasters were talking about it all night. He thought about doing it earlier in the game on another hit to Pierre, but stayed at first.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    That steal of home was awesome. Always cool to see hitting a guy backfire on the pitcher. I don't have a problem with what Hamels did but geez don't admit to it. Thats just opening up a can of worms.

I kind of think of it as just one of those things in the game you just don't talk about
    He threw at him beacuse he is a hyped rookie.....That I do not agree with. IF he had done something to show up or be a jerk....I could see it, but just beacuse he is a rookie?

Yep, Cole Hamels just went down a notch in my book. I'm not a huge Bryce Harper fan (any time these rookies come up, the media love-fest just irritates me to death), but the guy is 19 and he did absolutely nothing to deserve that.

The Phillies should be careful what they wish for, the Nats staff might not have the track record that theirs does, but across the board they throw a decent bit harder. I can't imagine any Phillies hitters are too happy about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

I dunno, I think people are making too big a deal out of it. Just a bruise on Harper's back at the end of the day.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I dunno, I think people are making too big a deal out of it. Just a bruise on Harper's back at the end of the day.
    It's that it was basically for no reason is why I have an issue with it.

I don't think we should be starting a trend where rookies need to expect bean-balls aplenty upon arriving in the big leagues.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    It's that it was basically for no reason is why I have an issue with it.

I don't think we should be starting a trend where rookies need to expect bean-balls aplenty upon arriving in the big leagues.
    Starting a trend? Its been a trend for hyped up rookies since the big leagues began. This isn't new. I can't say I like it a lot either but it's old school, not a new thing...

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I really did like what Harper said... Nothing.

"Hamels pitched a great game."

The Kid just went up a notch in my book. In spite of his silly "Harper" tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I agree with you. Totally overblown situation. I think most hyped up rookies get thrown at sooner or later. If Hamels had thrown at his head I could see the outrage, But he hit him in the wallet. The best place you could get hit. Also Harper reacted just right. Put his down went to 1st base like a pro. Later in the inning he stole home to get his "revenge" on the pitcher. Also later in the game Jordan Zimmerman hit Hamels. So they are even now and the score should be settled.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Acting like a punk is a wierd way to demand respect. Just sayin'....
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

this is a 'mildly interesting distraction.'

Rizzo calls Hamels "fake" tough, Hamels said he hit him on purpose, he didn't say he was tough, it's not like he's operating in the shadows or in the dark. Or am I missing something? Is there a hidden nefarious and insidious situation going on here by Hamels or the DC team?

O well, a 'mildly interesting distraction'.
    Last edited by Orenda; 05-08-2012 at 08:04 PM.

I can't wait to watch him this weekend vs our Reds. Certainly worth seeing in person if you can make it. If you don't know by now, he is getting tons of street cred for his hustle and skills. I haven't heard him described as a punk or cocky since his debut. Yet people not folllowing him and the game of baseball closely still have that perception.

A guy at work tells me he's going to the game Saturday. I told him to look out for Harper, he's the real deal. And immediately he says I hear he has a bad attitude.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2...going-0-for-5/

And I was starting to come around on the kid...this doesn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2...going-0-for-5/

And I was starting to come around on the kid...this doesn't help.
    Really?

Every single guy in baseball has gone back to the dugout while in a slump and hit something with their bat. Every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Really?

Every single guy in baseball has gone back to the dugout while in a slump and hit something with their bat. Every one of them.
    Yes really. I love the every guy in baseball remark....

Not every guy in baseball ends up looking like Harper tonight. Look it's not a big thing but he really embarrassed himself. Amare-esque.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Really?

Not John Olerud. He just tugged on his helmet a little harder and oozed additional excellence.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?