Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bobby Abreu anyone?

Bobby Abreu anyone?

he has been released by the Angels

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bobby Abreu anyone?

Ehhh, there's a reason they released him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Yes. Pick him up. Has to be a better LH than Willie.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Yes. Pick him up. Has to be a better LH than Willie.
    I'd be all over picking him up and giving Ludwick the pink slip.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    You'd seriously rather keep Willie Harris and show Ryan Ludwick the door??
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

I would go for it. He still gets on base at a high clip, just 2 years ago he was a pretty good player. He lost his power last year, not sure why, the scouts could probably help with that question. His defense has been below average, but not terrible.
    "Today was the byproduct of us thinking we can come back from anything." - Joey Votto after blowing a 10-1 lead and holding on for the 12-11 win on 8/25/2010.

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg- View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't pink slip Ludwick. I think he's needed and helpful for the mix. I'd sooner send Heisey to AAA. Heisey has been brutal on both offense and defense. I'd let him play every day for a couple of weeks in AAA and then bring him back and DFA Harris.

If I had to rank the position players from 1 to 14, I'd probably go Votto, Bruce, Phillips, Hanigan, Cozart, Mesoraco, Ludwick, Rolen, Cairo, Frazier, Stubbs, Heisey, Valdez, Harris. Abreu would probably slot in somewhere around where Stubbs and Heisey are.

Abreu is not a savior, but he's an upgrade as far as bench lefty bats go and GABP may help him bump his power. His defense is probably too far gone for him to take over on any kind of regular basis or even platoon in LF, but he could spot out there a couple days a week and provide a better bench threat.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Abreu would be a good gamble for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Abreu would be a good gamble for the Reds.
    Would Abreu accept a PH / back up role with the Reds? Wasn't part of the problem with LAA his frustration with his playing time?

Don't know. I think, from the Reds perspective, is, could they live with his defense. I think he would hit, and could be replaced in late innings for defense. Then you have a "what to do with Heisey and Ludwick," scenario. Could be a little complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Would Abreu accept a PH / back up role with the Reds? Wasn't part of the problem with LAA his frustration with his playing time?
    The word is that he was coming around to that role, but Bourjos wasn't hitting and they needed a spot for Trout, so Abreu goes.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, I don't know how much he's declined, but he was one of my favorite players for a long, long time cause all he did was hit.

I'd like to know what the scouts say about his decline, but I'd be interested in picking him up since the Angels pay his big check.

Heisey probably needs a stint at triple A. I would not cut Ludwick. I think he hasn't been any worse than the rest of the hitters, and he's had a few big hits.

Harris should be on the hotseat at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    You'd seriously rather keep Willie Harris and show Ryan Ludwick the door??
    I really think they both should go.

I haven't been impressed with Ludwick one bit. His defense hasn't been as advertised, he lost one game all by himself with his Jose Canseco-esque play. Todd Frazier could probably play as good of defense in LF as he has. Not to mention his hitting... he has had 1 good season in his entire career and struggled mightily the last two. It's not that he hasn't been given at bats.

Heisey has struggled as well, but is still young and plays better defense.

What would he cost us?

Less versatile than Harris, but much more presence at the plate. Not sure it's the trade off we need right now with Cairo out and Phillips gimpy.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    What would he cost us?

Less versatile than Harris, but much more presence at the plate. Not sure it's the trade off we need right now with Cairo out and Phillips gimpy.
    It's why you send Heisey down for a couple weeks to get going. Keep Harris until Cairo comes back and Phillips is better. Then bring a rejuvinated Heisey back and cut Harris loose.

Turn Off Ads?