Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So...Pujols sure does suck right now

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: So...Pujols sure does suck right now

Age. New league - the AL. Pitchers he hasn't seen regularly that he has to adjust to. Lots of reasons. Or simply, he isn't getting anything to hit but still swinging anyway. Same problem Votto has..........they don't throw him anything to hit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Another 0-4 day and an Angels loss, Pujols now down to a .216 batting average.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

One can only wish he were still a Cardinal.

He's never had fewer than 5 homers in the month of April until this year (or so it would appear with only a couple days left). His OPS is over 200 points lower than any previous April he's ever had.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Joe Poz has an interesting blog piece on Pujols today.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/201...tands-for.html
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Age. New league - the AL. Pitchers he hasn't seen regularly that he has to adjust to. Lots of reasons. Or simply, he isn't getting anything to hit but still swinging anyway. Same problem Votto has..........they don't throw him anything to hit.
    Yet Votto has continued to post an OPS north of .900 (1.056 now).

They haven't thrown much to Pujols his whole career. The secret is not swinging at crap. if you don't they will eventually throw you strikes. It doesn't pay to walk any player every time up.

No way to prove anything, but I've always felt he was lying about his age. I don't think he was the product of anything more nefarious than that. He was simply doing what a lot ballplayers from the Dominican Republic have done for ages (heck, I lie about my age all the time).

It's catching up to him now. That's really the only logical explanation for his state of affairs. Can't say I really blame him, though.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    No way to prove anything, but I've always felt he was lying about his age. I don't think he was the product of anything more nefarious than that. He was simply doing what a lot ballplayers from the Dominican Republic have done for ages (heck, I lie about my age all the time).

It's catching up to him now. That's really the only logical explanation for his state of affairs. Can't say I really blame him, though.
    Sort of. My guess is he's 3-4 years older. And the guilt of signing a 10 year deal knowing your skills will decline sooner rather than later has to weigh on anyone. So the "fix" is to try harder. Except baseball is a game where trying harder only makes it worse.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Pujols's slump is apparently contagious. The Angels have now been shut out 8 times in their first 36 games.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?