Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade idea - Scooter Gennett To The Angels?

Trade idea - Scooter Gennett To The Angels?

Would you trade Scooter to the Angels? If so, what for?

Angels assistant general manager Steve Martone revealed some of the team’s infield plans in an interview with Jim Bowden and Jim Duquette of Sirius XM Radio on Sunday, noting that second base is their biggest area of need.
    “Second base is more of a priority with our club than any other positions,” said Martone.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/los-angeles-angels
    Last edited by Ron Madden; 11-26-2017 at 06:59 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Scooter Gennett To The Angels?

Tyler Skaggs would make sense, there's an extra year of control on him too compared to Gennett.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

4. Likes:

M2 (11-26-2017),mth123 (11-26-2017),reds44 (11-26-2017),Ron Madden (11-26-2017)

The guy I'd want who might be realistic is Tyler Skaggs. I wouldn't do that if I was the Angels unless the Reds added a minor leaguer or two. Maybe a middling guy in the 10 to 15 range on the prospect list and a lotto ticket who was a high pick and is off to a terrible start (Chris Okey???). Or, the Reds could ship $3 or $4 Million to LA to offset the Salary difference, That might make it doable.

Gennett, Friedl and Okey for Skaggs. With LA's thin system, Friedl would probably be one of their better prospects.
    Last edited by mth123; 11-26-2017 at 07:39 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Yeah, I liked the idea of doing the Skaggs for Scooter trade at the deadline. After doing more research over the offseason, I think that Eppler would be more attracted to Cesar Hernandez who is a better defender and has 3 years of control. Eppler is more of a pitching/defense guy especially in the ball park they are in. But if they would do it, Skaggs would be a good pick up for Scooter.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Tyler Skaggs would make sense, there's an extra year of control on him too compared to Gennett.
    This is the deal I've been suggesting. I'd take Heaney as well.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Its Trout or nothing for me.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

9. Likes:

AlaskaReds (11-27-2017),MR X (11-27-2017),thatcoolguy_22 (11-27-2017),The Operator (11-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Its Trout or nothing for me.
    The Angels would have to throw in Pujols as well.

I noticed a few of you like skaggs and i was wondering why?

Re: Trade idea - Scooter Gennett To The Angels?

I know he likely had a career year last year but I don't see why almost everyone on the board wants to trade Scooter. who is the Reds 2B if we deal him? Peraza? Herrera?? Am I missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    still young.

if healthy, his talent is better than the results he has had so far.

13. Likes:

thatcoolguy_22 (11-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    I know he likely had a career year last year but I don't see why almost everyone on the board wants to trade Scooter. who is the Reds 2B if we deal him? Peraza? Herrera?? Am I missing something?

- - - Updated - - -

still young.

For me it's because he's not very good defensively and if they are going to take a big downgrade at SS, they need to offset that with an upgrade at 2B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

15. Likes:

REDREAD (11-27-2017)

- - - Updated - - -

still young.

Senzel...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

17. Likes:

Griffey012 (11-27-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneinthBrame View Post
    He's what the Angels have got. I'm on the fence about him. He's one of those arms that the scouts would have to vouch for in order for me to make a deal for him. His velo dropped last year, which is a bit of a red flag. FWIW, I think Scooter > Skaggs in terms of trade value.

The biggest arm the Angels have got is Alex Meyer, who has a killer FB/slider combo, but major control issues. If the Reds thought they could get that under control, they could have a beast on their hands. Yet he's another case where somebody better be swearing on a stack of bibles. The Reds need a solid get for Scooter, not a scratch ticket.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

19. Likes:

Old school 1983 (11-27-2017)

- - - Updated - - -

still young.

If the Reds feel Herrera will be healthy, it will probably be Herrera at 2b regardless of whether Scooter is healthy or not.
    Herrera will at least be given a half season to establish that he "won" the job.
    Scooter is a free agent in 2020.. so we have him for 2 more seasons.. he is kind of in the Jay Bruce/BP category.. unless the Reds spend some money on pitching soon, the Reds are not going to be competitive before Scooter leaves. It makes a lot of sense to trade Scooter for something more long term (ie younger and cheaper). Note, I do not expect to get a whole lot for Scooter's career year. Then use Scooter's salary to upgrade the pitching staff..
    Now I agree, Scooter's saved salary is not going to be a whole lot of money, but when the team apparently has very little, and Scooter is projected to earn 4-5 million, that is a pretty big increase.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

if nobody is going to pay a lot for 1 great year of Scooter then why not play him at 2B to start the season? if Herrera is actually healthy and plays well Scooter then can slide into a super utility role. or if Senzel can play 2B (we'll see this spring) then Scooter can slide into a super utility role in June.

also, isn't there a chance that Scooter's breakout is the real deal? several players in recent years have broken out after they were pegged as a bench or AAAA player. can't we give him another half a season to see if he can keep the magic going?

22. Likes:

marcshoe (11-27-2017),REDREAD (11-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    If the Reds feel Herrera will be healthy, it will probably be Herrera at 2b regardless of whether Scooter is healthy or not.
    Herrera will at least be given a half season to establish that he "won" the job.
    why do you say that? Scooter was great last year and Herrera, even if healthy, hasn't been a big league success.

I'd rather have Herrera play 2B vs lefties and when Scooter plays 3B or OF. if Herrera plays well then he gets more playing time. I wouldn't hand him the job.

24. Likes:

REDREAD (11-28-2017)

Turn Off Ads?