Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

So apparently the Moerlein Lager House at the Banks/Smale Riverfront Park ran an ad in City Beat identifying itself as "Wrigley South" in connection with the upcoming Cubs series. It has been discussed various places on the internet, including Lance McCalister's blog (you need to scroll down). Moerlein House has offered an explanation on their Facebook page, which I will quote here in the interest of presenting their side:
    Hey everyone. hold up a sec! Yeah, we admit it might have been a little confusing, but "Wrigley South" is A RALLY FOR OUR REDS! It's a chance to cheer on our Reds and give visiting Cubs fans a taste of what makes Cincinnati so special! We are REDS through and through...always and forever! We're not selling any Old Style beer here either we are exporting Cincinnati!
    I have to say that explanation makes absolutely no sense, especially if you look at the ad, and especially if you consider (as one of the many almost universally negative commenters on Facebook points out) that "Wrigley South" is a term made up be Cubs fans to insult Reds fans. (I mean, on my list of things are terrible about Cubs fans, Old Style would be about 10000th on the list. I'd actually be fine with them bringing in Old Style.)

I am a big supporter of the Banks, Smale Park, and downtown generally, and up until now I have loved the Lager House, but this is pretty sad. I certainly wouldn't support a boycott or anything formal like that, but as Reds fans maybe consider getting a drink at one of the many other downtown bars the next time you are down there.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Re: Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

As far as I'm concerned, Chicago fans can flood the city. Their money spends just as well as anyone elses, and the city can use any kind of commerce
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

While I agree with CE about their money and the city needing it, I don't like catering to them.

I really can't figure out why they didn't choose one of several other potential marketing ideas that would have actually been promotional for the Reds. Two ideas that immediately came to mind were "the great american lager house" or, if they really want that "old-time" type feel, maybe "New Crosley?"

A confusing and poor marketing plan, in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Weak

It's this sort of stuff that plays into the teams attendance issues

Local business can profit from visiting fans, but posturing to obtain them at the expense of the local nine is a giant FAIL

I know I'll be taking my pre/post-game business to Holy Grail, InBetween or elsewhere tomorrow night. Moerlein Lager House hasn't been open three months and they've already annoyed a portion of Reds fans - their primary customers.

They do this for the Steelers and I'll never set foot in there again.

What's the last thing Jesus said to the Cubs? Don't do a darn thing until I get back

much ado about nothing in my mind. While I'm on record stating that their prices seem about $2 too high, the reviews have been good, and I hope the place succeeds. If getting fans of oppossing teams into their place helps build the place as a "must visit" place for people visiting the city, I hope it works. I hope it helps give the area more of a buzz both before and following games. The larger the buzz, the more butts in the stands as time progresses.

Cub fans can be loud and annoying, but when you can shut up someone as easily as asking how their last century has been, they're not much more than the gnat in the world of fandom.

Latest from their Facebook page:

Fans:

We admit the upcoming promotion for the next Reds series was unfortunately misguided with respect to message, and we are truly sorry and apologize if we've offended any fans.

Our intention was to help cheer on our Reds and give visiting Cubs fans a taste of what makes Cincinnati so special, showcasing our great new riverfront and our city and to bring positive exposure to it. It was not intended to root for the away team, and we apologize if it was taken that way. We are Reds fans through and through. We are going to call this promotional event what it was truly intended to be "a rally for our Reds."

BACKPEDAL BACKPEDAL BACKPEDAL

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Somewhere, somebody is looking at the rest of the group and saying, "I told you so!".

GL

As I understand it the ad was in (Cincinnati's) City Beat. It's not like the ad ran in Chicago. I take it to be directed towards Cincinnati fans and encourage them to party at the Lager House like they would at the Cubby Bear or one of the watering holes surrounding Wrigley Field

When the Cubs are lousy, the fans don't come out in quite the same droves. With that said, the Reds have been playing better ball lately, and still the fans don't come out in droves.

It's sad to watch on TV. I guess the weather had been a little cooler and the kiddies are still in school, but let's hope this changes soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    As I understand it the ad was in (Cincinnati's) City Beat. It's not like the ad ran in Chicago. I take it to be directed towards Cincinnati fans and encourage them to party at the Lager House like they would at the Cubby Bear or one of the watering holes surrounding Wrigley Field
    You may be right, but to assume any self respecting Reds fan would purposely emulate anything at all about a Cubs fan is still a serious miscalculation on their part.

Would a bar in Columbus hope to attract Buckeye fans by billing itself as "Ann Arbor South!"? You might be right but the whole thing screams of "oops!" and a whole lot of transparent back-pedaling from the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Just saw the actual ad on Lance's blog. I'm sorry but they screwed up, bad. They should just admit it and be done, instead of continuing to try and use that lame "no, we meant that to rally Reds fans, duh!" excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    You may be right, but to assume any self respecting Reds fan would purposely emulate anything at all about a Cubs fan is still a serious miscalculation on their part.

Would a bar in Columbus hope to attract Buckeye fans by billing itself as "Ann Arbor South!"? You might be right but the whole thing screams of "oops!" and a whole lot of transparent back-pedaling from the place.
    Yeah, you make great points. I guess I've always envied what they have around Wrigley. I said a long time ago as they were planning the stadia on our river that I wanted it to be hoppin' like Wrigleyville does. I think they were catering to folks like me by saying "the wait is over. We're now a happenin' place like we envisioned 15 yrs ago."

Turn Off Ads?