Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

Re: Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

Several of us who live around the ballpark have commented on how game nights have something of a "Wrigleyville" feel with The Banks starting to boom. I think that is what the ad was getting at and that is how I took it until the uproar started. I honestly think Moerlein meant what they said in their apology, but I also think they missed the advertising mark badly when I see how many people took it badly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Yeah, you make great points. I guess I've always envied what they have around Wrigley. I said a long time ago as they were planning the stadia on our river that I wanted it to be hoppin' like Wrigleyville does. I think they were catering to folks like me by saying "the wait is over. We're now a happenin' place like we envisioned 15 yrs ago."
    I would probably be in your same camp if we're talking about Wrigleyville prior to say, 1995ish I'm guessing. But the people who fill the stands and the streets now just seem like types who go to the game for no other reason than to get drunk, and probably couldn't tell you 50% of the Cubs starting lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I know it's the new hot spot around the park, but I will never go there after a Reds game now. Very disappointing.

Haunted by walks

The only thing that will save them now is to buy the rights to "RedsZone: For Reds fans, by Reds fans."

They messed up bad but they've admitted their mistake amd apologized.

As far as I'm concerned, all is well. No harm, no foul. Hope they learned a marketing lesson. And they'll continue to get my business.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Incidentally, there's a fantastic twitter hashtag that's been going on all day: #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos
    "Sam Carpenter's 10th Birthday Bash (Presented by dad, Chris Carpenter)" #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Aaron Harang Halloween Costume Party #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Bronson Arroyo Inflatable Doll Night (First 10,000 Women Over 40) #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

"Musical Chairs" on ladies night with guest hosts Ray King and Austin Kearns #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Tony LaRussa Lifetime Achievement Celebration #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

'Dynamic Pricing' Seminar" #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Get Drunk Off Our $9 BeersAnd Burn The Reds Hall of Fame To The Ground (but please leave by 11:30) Night! #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

"Bring Back Steve Stewart to the #Reds on Radio" Rally Night. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Leftover TO & Ochocinco Jersey Sale Night. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #bengals

Nickelback Pre-Game Concert Night. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #reds

"St. Louis Cardinals: home of the best fans in baseball" banner unveiling. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #Reds

Eric Milton game-used homerun ball giveaway. (Don't worry, we have plenty of them) ... #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #Reds

Bill Hall Appreciation Night. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #reds

2003 Cincinnati Reds Reunion. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

Akili Smith number retirement ceremony. #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos

"Roseanne Barr Appreciation Night" #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos #Reds
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 04-30-2012 at 05:38 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

For a company that is selling its brand on its attachment to Cincinnati, this is beyond stupid.

Sorry, you can't claim to be authentically Cincinnati and then run an ad like that. I won't say that I'll never go back, but I will wait longer to return than I would have otherwise. Really poor judgement.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

That is pretty lame. Could you imagine if a NY bar put and advert in the Post calling itself Fenway South? They'd be closed in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    That is pretty lame. Could you imagine if a NY bar put and advert in the Post calling itself Fenway South? They'd be closed in a month.
    Well I sort of disagree. I think in the New York market, there is room for a Red Sox bar, which will draw Red Sox fans every night. (There are probably many such bars.) There may even be Boston sports bars in Cincinnati.

But the Moerlein house due to its location by necessity has to market to Reds fans, so this was a really questionable thing to do. They are insulting their main fans to, possibly, draw in a few extra fans a few days out of the year.

That said, they did apologize, and I am pretty confident they will never do this again. As I said in the first post, maybe consider getting a drink at Holy Grail, Toby Keith's, In Between Tavern, O'Malley's, or one of many bars downtown within walking distance. But there is certainly no need to boycott Moerlein. It is a really cool place that Cincinnati should be proud of.

Wow, there's really no way out of what they did, just watching the calendar turn another day is their only hope. I thought this thread would indeed be about how the atmosphere is getting fun down there, but whoops!

Boycotters of this would be taking themselves quite seriously though.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Minus the fans I love Wrigley Field. My first game there was in the bleachers and internally a near religious experience. But then I caught a ball thrown up by Corey Patterson and I spent the rest of the game taking crap and watching my back because it bounced of some Cub Fan's girlfriend before I caught it and they felt it was hers. Oh and the ad is in bad taste but apologies are enough for me.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Stupid, stupid idea on their part. Boycotting them is silly, though.

For anyone who hasn't been there on game days, expect long lines at the door, slow-but-friendly service, good food, great beer, great views of the city, and a large bill. I'll go again but probably not on a day when the Cubs are in town.

Reading through their Facebook page, it looks like their marketing folks are out of Indianapolis. Perhaps they were simply ignorant to the locals' understanding of "Wrigley South"?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Stupid, stupid idea on their part. Boycotting them is silly, though.

For anyone who hasn't been there on game days, expect long lines at the door, slow-but-friendly service, good food, great beer, great views of the city, and a large bill. I'll go again but probably not on a day when the Cubs are in town.
    So they are overpriced, slow, and it takes a long time to get in, plus...they are reaching out to Cubs fans, yet I should still go there?

No thanks.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Bronson Arroyo Inflatable Doll Night (First 10,000 Women Over 40) #FutureMoerleinLagerHousePromos
    I want one... I want one!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Turn Off Ads?