Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

Re: Moerlein House = Wrigley South?

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I lived in Chicago and have been to bars that cater to fans of other teams, mostly for viewing parties for transplants to Chicago who want to watch their teams' games. They even have a Miami University bar. I think the difference here is that it's an establishment right next to GABP. You would never, ever see the Cubby Bear or Murphy's Bleachers having a Reds Night when the Reds were in town. If they did, they might as well close up shop right then and there.

During baseball season, the vast majority of the MLH business is going come from Reds fans going to or coming from games rather than fans of other teams coming in for viewing parties. Turn off your main customer base and you can just forget about doing good business on game days. It's one thing if this was a bar in Clifton trying to bring in college kids from Chicago and Indiana. A bar that relies on game day business is something else.
    I don't know, last year I went to a game at Wrigley and the rooftop across the street had a bunch of big red M flags displayed which I assumed meant that it was a party fo Miami of Ohio,(perhaps I'm wrong) but if I'm right, I assume they didn't choose that game to match up with a game the Reds were in town on accident.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I mentioned this to my wife for a non sports fan perspective and her response was "what is it with Reds fans? First it's the UK Night that ticks them off, now this?"

I think we need to have thicker skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I don't know, last year I went to a game at Wrigley and the rooftop across the street had a bunch of big red M flags displayed which I assumed meant that it was a party fo Miami of Ohio,(perhaps I'm wrong) but if I'm right, I assume they didn't choose that game to match up with a game the Reds were in town on accident.
    Actually, most of the Miami grads I knew got apartments in Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park and immediately became Cubs fans. The cool thing to do was to camp out for Bleacher seats when they first go on sale, even though most of them couldn't name more Cubs than Mark Grace and Sammy Sosa.

Most of the rooftops are just rental space not associated with a bar, rented to private parties.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Gainesville Red View Post
    I don't really have a problem with this. They wouldn't do it if it they didn't think it'd be profitable.

I may be apathetic because I live in New York City. As someone's noted, it is a bigger, more diverse market. There are bars for literally every team (and every other niche) you can think of. And they're all full when that team's playing.

Wouldn't do it if they didn't make money. If you don't want there to be a Cubs fan bar, pack the bar. Or go to another bar. Vote with your dollars.
    The problem with it is, the Christian Moerlein brand is built on identifying with Cincinnati. This isn't like Martino's being a Steelers bar (which I have no problem with). Instead, think of the Lager House as it is akin to a Sam Adams brewpub adjacent to Fenway.
    Last edited by paintmered; 05-01-2012 at 10:00 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The problem with it is, the Christian Moerlein brand is basically built on identifying with Cincinnati. This isn't like Martino's being a Steelers bar, but instead akin to a Sam Adams brewpub in Boston across adjacent to Fenway.
    Bingo... anybody with a sense of history and the city should be at least a tad disappointed in this.

It's not a "deal breaker" but it's also a show of ignorance that falls squarely in the lap of the management of the place.

They should be puckering up and looking for Glutes for quite some time in the city as far as I'm concerned

Channel 12 ran a poll tonight asking if Cincinnati fans were too sensitive and 60% said yes we are:

http://www.local12.com/default.aspx

I tend to concur. Being too sensitive as a fan is not something I'm proud of

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Bingo... anybody with a sense of history and the city should be at least a tad disappointed in this.

It's not a "deal breaker" but it's also a show of ignorance that falls squarely in the lap of the management of the place.

They should be puckering up and looking for Glutes for quite some time in the city as far as I'm concerned
    Agreed. In the short term, a "Wrigley South" series might help, but to survive October-March, they're going to need repeat business -- locals. Doing ANYTHING to alienate potential customers was a bad, bad play.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    The problem with it is, the Christian Moerlein brand is built on identifying with Cincinnati. This isn't like Martino's being a Steelers bar (which I have no problem with). Instead, think of the Lager House as it is akin to a Sam Adams brewpub adjacent to Fenway.
    I have no problem with Martino's being a Steelers bar. Unfortunately, there's one in every city in the country and Cincinnati doesn't carry that burden alone. However, don't expect me to ever set foot into Martino's, football season or not. It's just not going to happen. I see that they advertise the rest of the year and especially before/after UC games begging people to stop in. As if ...

I go to plenty of UC games, football and basketball, but I would never even entertain the thought of going to Martino's. They have every right to be a Steelers bar, and I have every right to never go there.

As for Moerlein, I've been there before and of course I'll go back. But you can be assured that I damn well won't go in there this week after what they pulled. I'll go back next homestand and not before. But if they ever cater to visiting fans again, I'm probably done with them for good.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 05-02-2012 at 03:18 AM.

I think the difference here is that it's an establishment right next to GABP. You would never, ever see the Cubby Bear or Murphy's Bleachers having a Reds Night when the Reds were in town. If they did, they might as well close up shop right then and there.
    You nailed it right there, plus, didn't they just open up this year? Not exactly a solid PR move when you haven't been open that long. I told a couple die hard Cub fans at work about this and even they said that.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I was at the Lager House and Great American Ballpark yesterday. They were nowhere near as many Cubs fans as usual. Don't let the Cubs fans deter you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Channel 12 ran a poll tonight asking if Cincinnati fans were too sensitive and 60% said yes we are:

http://www.local12.com/default.aspx

I tend to concur. Being too sensitive as a fan is not something I'm proud of
    I think Cincinnati fans are an odd bunch. They like to "eat their own." Very inward looking and self-critical, whether of the teams or fans themselves. If you want to see sensitive fans, come up to Cleveland sometime. Any slight on the city or its teams is considered a declaration of war. You think Cincinnati fans are sensitive about this whole lager house thing? If it happened in Cleveland next to one of the stadiums up here, I think you'd see some knuckleheads do something stupid. Very sensitive and take things sports-related way to seriously up here. Cincinnati fans have always seemed pretty mellow by comparison.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I think Cincinnati fans are an odd bunch. They like to "eat their own." Very inward looking and self-critical, whether of the teams or fans themselves. If you want to see sensitive fans, come up to Cleveland sometime. Any slight on the city or its teams is considered a declaration of war. You think Cincinnati fans are sensitive about this whole lager house thing? If it happened in Cleveland next to one of the stadiums up here, I think you'd see some knuckleheads do something stupid. Very sensitive and take things sports-related way to seriously up here. Cincinnati fans have always seemed pretty mellow by comparison.
    Yeah, I noticed that about Cleveland fans when I lived in Columbus 25 yrs ago. Interesting that things haven't changed much since then.

What do you think Philadelphia fans would say if a bar near Citizens Bank Park advertised as Yankee Stadium South during a Phils/Yanks series? What would Red Sox fans say to a similar bar near Fenway doing the same thing?

What would OSU fans do if a bar on High Street welcomed Michigan fans with a Go Blue advertisement? What would Ravens fans do if a bar on Baltimore's Inner Harbor welcomed slimy steelers fans with a Heinz Field south ad?

Come on ... Cincinnati fans didn't react any differently than any other passionate fan base would have. Frankly, I would have been disappointed if there was no outcry.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    What do you think Philadelphia fans would say if a bar near Citizens Bank Park advertised as Yankee Stadium South during a Phils/Yanks series? What would Red Sox fans say to a similar bar near Fenway doing the same thing?

What would OSU fans do if a bar on High Street welcomed Michigan fans with a Go Blue advertisement? What would Ravens fans do if a bar on Baltimore's Inner Harbor welcomed slimy steelers fans with a Heinz Field south ad?

Come on ... Cincinnati fans didn't react any differently than any other passionate fan base would have. Frankly, I would have been disappointed if there was no outcry.
    Exactly.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I believe they were saying they have created a wrigleyville atmosphere, more than trying to attract all the Cubs fans. I also thinkl, the promotions people are proably not big sports fans.

I heard a commercial on the WGN broadcast that prouldly stated : "the official nut of both the Cubs and White Sox!". A lot of people writing copy who arn't sports fans.

Turn Off Ads?