Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Golf Score

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

Re: Reds Golf Score

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Holy moly Scrap... I wouldn't even know how to begin of such an algorithm. haha. It's a moving goalpost though and im not a huge fan of that. Some stuff could be subjective as the season progresses.

Thanks for the ideas though and I will think about how some of those things could be implemented.
    On a golf course, their are Par 3's, 4's and 5's. I wouldn't see it as moving the goalpost, it would just make it more of a golf course IMO
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Awesome stuff, Smith. It might be helpful to see a little more info to put the golf score in context. Such as:

Code:
    Week:		1	2	3	4	
    Games:		6	7	6	5
    Par (L):	3	3	3	2
    Team (L):	2	4	4	0
    Score:		-1	E	+1	-2
    Total:		-1	-1	0	-2
    You might also use some of that real estate above/below the score table to explain how it works. It's not completely intuitive since the approach involves keeping score in terms of minimizing losses instead of maximizing wins. Pointing out that "Par" means the team is on pace for a 90 win season and that each point below par is a win above 90 games would help.

I really like the approach, but the whole low is good thing throws a wrench in it in terms of easy interpretation. The more you can do to mitigate/address that the better. Maybe even on "on pace" a translation in the standings table.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Awesome stuff, Smith. It might be helpful to see a little more info to put the golf score in context. Such as:

Code:
    Week:		1	2	3	4	
    Games:		6	7	6	5
    Par (L):	3	3	3	2
    Team (L):	2	4	4	0
    Score:		-1	E	+1	-2
    Total:		-1	-1	0	-2
    You might also use some of that real estate above/below the score table to explain how it works. It's not completely intuitive since the approach involves keeping score in terms of minimizing losses instead of maximizing wins. Pointing out that "Par" means the team is on pace for a 90 win season and that each point below par is a win above 90 games would help.

I really like the approach, but the whole low is good thing throws a wrench in it in terms of easy interpretation. The more you can do to mitigate/address that the better. Maybe even on "on pace" a translation in the standings table.
    I guess I looked at it in a "glass half empty" pov didnt i? haha. I mean, I could focus on "5 wins is par" but I compared losses as a swing, ya know? The less swings, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    On a golf course, their are Par 3's, 4's and 5's. I wouldn't see it as moving the goalpost, it would just make it more of a golf course IMO
    Yes, but everyone gets the same hole.

It's a little like black magic to have to change every single teams par based on competition for the purposes of this app. I'll leave that to the sabremetric guys to determine that.

This is just a fun way to break a season down into chunks and use the idea of golf to add interest.

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting

It's a little like black magic to have to change every single teams par based on competition for the purposes of this app. I'll leave that to the sabremetric guys to determine that.

This is just a fun way to break a season down into chunks and use the idea of golf to add interest.
    Well, some people start on hole 1, while others start at 10
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Voice of IH View Post
    Well, some people start on hole 1, while others start at 10
    I like to start at 19
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

One of the things I love best about baseball is that it isn't golf.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    One of the things I love best about baseball is that it isn't golf.
    Yes. No need to mix these sports.

I agree with you Smith. The difficulty of each 9 game "hole" is more akin to the handicap of the hole on a particular course. In the end, everyone plays the

To change from a Par 4 to a Par 5 or a Par 3, it would likely require you to carve up the schedule into different sized nuggets which would require far more work than would likely be worthwhile.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm hoping in the next few days, this app will get approved by Apple. I should make an android one too but I have tinkered with android and it's a mess to work with in my opinion.

Who wants a promo code? I'll put 5 here for a first come, first serve basis. Go to your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch AppStore, scroll to the bottom of the featured tab and click Redeem. Then enter one of the following codes...

H4YEAYYRTN4X
    HYA7M7HKF73M
    6LJPWH4WTMWE
    PXH34NPWXJ4A
    MKTLFKTR6N73

If you missed out, sorry. Just means you will be helping a starving developer.

Who wants a promo code? I'll put 5 here for a first come, first serve basis. Go to your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch AppStore, scroll to the bottom of the featured tab and click Redeem. Then enter one of the following codes...

H4YEAYYRTN4X
    HYA7M7HKF73M
    6LJPWH4WTMWE
    PXH34NPWXJ4A
    MKTLFKTR6N73

I used the last one. Checking it out now. Thanks!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

H4YEAYYRTN4X
    HYA7M7HKF73M
    6LJPWH4WTMWE
    PXH34NPWXJ4A
    MKTLFKTR6N73

Just redeemed this one- thanks, smith288!
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Just redeemed this one- thanks, smith288!
    Yer welcome

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I used the last one. Checking it out now. Thanks!
    Yep!

Turn Off Ads?